Ranking William Castle

The classics, be it Nosferatu or Last House on the Left.
Forum rules
If you want heavy moderation, this place isn't for you.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Ranking William Castle

Post by Jigsaw »

So a couple of days ago, I saw Macabre (1958), William Castle first horror-ish movie, for the second time, and it got me thinking about ranking his stuff.

There are a fair amount of his lesser films that I've not seen, among them The Spirit is Willing (1967), The Night Walker (1964), I Saw What You Did (1965), and Let's Kill Uncle (1966), but I thought I might try to rank what I've seen, especially with both Homicidal (I watched this one for the second or third time for a Fight Evil podcast a month or so ago) and Macabre fresh in my mine.

From best to worst

1) House on Haunted Hill (1959)
2) Mr. Sardonicus (1961)
3) Homicidal (1961)
4) Strait-Jacket (1964)
5) Macabre (1958)
6) 13 Ghosts (1960)
7) The Tingler (1959)
8) The Old Dark House (1963)

This ranking isn't perfect - I need to rewatch some of these again, and it's possible that both Strait-Jacket and Mr. Sardonicus would move around a bit, but in general, it seems fair. I know some would rate The Tingler higher, and maybe I'll enjoy it more when I next see it, but it just doesn't have the oompft I like. House on Haunted Hill, though, has long been a favorite, as far as classic horror goes, and I doubt any other movie of his could top that one.

Not sure how many fans Castle has here, but I'm in a talkative mood, and thought I'd give the topic a shot.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
JustChuck

Re: Ranking William Castle

Post by JustChuck »

William Castle is a favorite of mine. Not what I would call a 'great' director, but he can be very entertaining and rarely wastes my time.

1. The Tingler
2. Hollywood Story
3. Strait-Jacket
4. Homicidal
5. Johnny Stool Pigeon
6. When Strangers Marry
7. I Saw What You Did
8. The Mark of The Whistler
9. Voice of The Whistler
10. The Houston Story
11. The Whistler

12. Macabre
13. House on Haunted Hill
14. The Night Walker
15. Undertow
16. The Fat Man
17. Just Before Dawn
18. Mysterious Intruder
19. The Old Dark House
20. Shanks
21. 13 Ghosts
22. Crime Doctor's Man Hunt

23. Mr. Sardonicus
24. The Spirit is Willing
24. Let's Kill Uncle
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Sort of surprised both Mr. Sardonicus and House on Haunted Hill are so low, but I can dig it.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
JustChuck

Post by JustChuck »

With Sardonicus Castle trades the fun for a slow, gothic folktale with uncharismatic actors and a terrible gimmick. House on Haunted Hill is one of the most popular choices and I've watched it 3 times, but it's overrated. That by itself isn't a good excuse, but combined with his much less discussed gems Strait-Jacket and I Saw What You Did, combined with a number of no-frills Noirs I've enjoyed from Castle...