October Challenge 2022 Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Re: October Challenge 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by Jigsaw »

Watched the new Syfy original Bring It On: Cheer or Die earlier. It's actually my first horror movie of 2022.

Honestly, I thought it was pretty fun. A bit ridiculous at times, but certainly not a terrible watch.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:35 pm Starting Halloween Ends
All i can say is im sitting here saying WOW
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Jigsaw wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:55 pm
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:45 pm I'm gonna run through a bunch of mediocre Halloweens today before Halloween Ends, I guess to help keep expectations low :P

In the middle of Halloween 4 right now.
Halloween 4 mediocre? GTFO 8-)

:P
Yeah I said it :P . I've always felt it was way overrated.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Getting another Vampire movie in today (still waiting for Alli to get home to put on Halloween Ends), and went with the fun Bordello of Blood, also on Peacock.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:18 pm
I am actually speechless
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:34 pm
I am actually speechless
All I can say is why? Really why?
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:42 pm
Tiggnutz wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:34 pm
I am actually speechless
All I can say is why? Really why?
Am I being punked?
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Tigg has me intrigued. Shame I probably won't see it for at least four months. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jigsaw wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:02 pm Tigg has me intrigued. Shame I probably won't see it for at least four months. :P
Don't check other threads if you don't want my honest opinion. Well I guess my opinion isn't a spoiler. Its the worst ever Halloween movie by a million
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Tiggnutz wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:15 pm
Jigsaw wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:02 pm Tigg has me intrigued. Shame I probably won't see it for at least four months. :P
Don't check other threads if you don't want my honest opinion. Well I guess my opinion isn't a spoiler. Its the worst ever Halloween movie by a million
Got it. Thanks for the head's up. :thumb:
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I'm VERY conflicted with Halloween Ends.

I wrote this on FB: "I'm very torn on this one. On one hand, as a capstone to this new trilogy, it's a bad pay-off. Pretty flaccid. On the other hand, it's actually well-made, acted, paced, and intense as a stand-alone film. It has a much more coherent plot (the problem with Kills, it was randomly all over the place). Great character development...with a character that had no real business getting as much spotlight as he does. Had this not been promoted as a capstone movie, I'd feel better about it, but it's like...what the hell? This is definitely one that's gonna need time to simmer and sleep. This is definitely not anywhere as bad as Resurrection, but I'm not sure where I'd rank it. Even though I don't see this as rewatchable, quality-wise it's definitely better than the Thorn trilogy at least. Or grade it. I'm too mixed on it. It's like 2/3's of the movie was a different story Green wanted to tell but wasn't sure if he was going to do more horror after this so it was crammed into this one. I'm somewhere in a neutral grade zone I guess, but I want to give it better due to the craftsmanship...but downgrade it for not living up to what it was intended to be. And don't believe the hype: the kills are NOT some of the best in the series...there's like 2 good kills, and most are just meh or off-freak'n-screen (I'm guessing that's done due to the blowback with Kills being criticized for being so over-the-top with the kills, you know, actually living up to the title on that one)."

Yeah, I don't really know where I stand on it.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Since it is the 40th anniversary of Halloween III today, I'm finishing off the day with that gem
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jigsaw wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:55 pm
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:45 pm I'm gonna run through a bunch of mediocre Halloweens today before Halloween Ends, I guess to help keep expectations low :P

In the middle of Halloween 4 right now.
Halloween 4 mediocre? GTFO 8-)

:P
I was gonna wish him a long Forrest Gump run, but I guess that's a pit stop. :weird: :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:51 pm I'm VERY conflicted with Halloween Ends.

I wrote this on FB: "I'm very torn on this one. On one hand, as a capstone to this new trilogy, it's a bad pay-off. Pretty flaccid. On the other hand, it's actually well-made, acted, paced, and intense as a stand-alone film. It has a much more coherent plot (the problem with Kills, it was randomly all over the place). Great character development...with a character that had no real business getting as much spotlight as he does. Had this not been promoted as a capstone movie, I'd feel better about it, but it's like...what the hell? This is definitely one that's gonna need time to simmer and sleep. This is definitely not anywhere as bad as Resurrection, but I'm not sure where I'd rank it. Even though I don't see this as rewatchable, quality-wise it's definitely better than the Thorn trilogy at least. Or grade it. I'm too mixed on it. It's like 2/3's of the movie was a different story Green wanted to tell but wasn't sure if he was going to do more horror after this so it was crammed into this one. I'm somewhere in a neutral grade zone I guess, but I want to give it better due to the craftsmanship...but downgrade it for not living up to what it was intended to be. And don't believe the hype: the kills are NOT some of the best in the series...there's like 2 good kills, and most are just meh or off-freak'n-screen (I'm guessing that's done due to the blowback with Kills being criticized for being so over-the-top with the kills, you know, actually living up to the title on that one)."

Yeah, I don't really know where I stand on it.
Pretty typical, isn't it? They had a budget, with competent people in front and behind the camera, but completely butt fucked it. So bad you can't stand! Just wasn't the good butt loving.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Watching Howling III for the first time.

Seems a wild movie so far. This line got a big laugh out of me: "Everything is high art. For example, in your first scene, you'll be gang-raped by four monsters."
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Peacock has the 1980 The Children. Guilty pleasure film for me
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Well, it landed squarley in the middle of the franchise on my Flickchart ranking, between two other B- entries, so I guess that's the grade I'm giving Halloween Ends. I was hovering in mid-c to low b range, but wanted to sleep on it. I strongly feel that if they advertised the direction they were going, the reaction wouldn't be so hated (and not call it Ends because focusing so much on something else just to have a putter of a showdown is lackluster).

I often find myself agreeing with Brad Jones (cinemasnob) and I mostly agreed with his review, but didn't agree with his generous B+ grade. Who knows, maybe over time I could love it more like Halloween III (though in III's defense, they were up front about being different, and people still cried about it).
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Halfway through the challenge, and So Vam is the dead ringer for Worst, and Terrifier 2 is on it's way to being the Champion.

And no Ta-Ta's of note. There were a pair, but they were just eh for me (Fear PHarm).
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

For me Halloween Ends is mid D grade shit and something I'll just pretend doesn't exist like the last season of Game of Thrones.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jigsaw wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:37 am Watching Howling III for the first time.

Seems a wild movie so far. This line got a big laugh out of me: "Everything is high art. For example, in your first scene, you'll be gang-raped by four monsters."
This was an odd movie. That said, I did think it was better than Stirba - Werewolf Bitch, so hey, that's something. :P