October Challenge 2023 Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Re: October Challenge 2023 Discussion Thread

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:31 pm Now watching In The Mouth Of Madness.
Lovecraft's Inception, baby! Nolan owes some greenbacks to people. Maybe even some bluebacks.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Reign in Blood wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:29 am
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:31 pm Now watching In The Mouth Of Madness.
Lovecraft's Inception, baby! Nolan owes some greenbacks to people. Maybe even some bluebacks.
Swear to God, Eddie.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:35 am My dipshit friend who is supposed to come over one of these mornings for a Terrifier 1 & 2 double-header is one of the flakiest people of all time. So I might just watch them without him.
No guarantee (they do have detractors, though their arguments are usually pretty weak, or just pertains to the first one but gets applied to the 2nd, showing they never watched it) but I hope you enjoy them for the splatterfests they are.

Hell, Terrifier 2 is a great homage to Dream Master in general, and they aren't shy about it either.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:12 am
Jason wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:35 am My dipshit friend who is supposed to come over one of these mornings for a Terrifier 1 & 2 double-header is one of the flakiest people of all time. So I might just watch them without him.
No guarantee (they do have detractors, though their arguments are usually pretty weak, or just pertains to the first one but gets applied to the 2nd, showing they never watched it) but I hope you enjoy them for the splatterfests they are.

Hell, Terrifier 2 is a great homage to Dream Master in general, and they aren't shy about it either.
I'm mainly only aware that they're brutal as shit. That's about all I know about it.

What did you mention they were gonna reference in Pearl? Was it the Lizzie Borden type stuff at the end?
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Giving Two Evil Eyes a second viewing
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Tiggnutz wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:56 pm Giving Two Evil Eyes a second viewing
I watched it two years ago and remember nothing. Lol
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:27 pm

I'm mainly only aware that they're brutal as shit. That's about all I know about it.

What did you mention they were gonna reference in Pearl? Was it the Lizzie Borden type stuff at the end?
i don't recall any horror movies being directly referenced or homaged, but technicolor type movies were. wizard of oz as one pretty obvious example. also i do think that the film has more than a passing similarity to horror films like carrie.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:30 pm

i don't recall any horror movies being directly referenced or homaged, but technicolor type movies were. wizard of oz as one pretty obvious example. also i do think that the film has more than a passing similarity to horror films like carrie.
Definitely some Wizard of Oz color and some Sherry Bobbins stuff. I really felt the Lizzie Borden shit at the end. lol. Unless that was just a major coincidence.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

New watch The Pope's Exorcist
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:10 pm New watch The Pope's Exorcist
Cool Alex Essoe is in this. I'm a fan
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I remember like 15 years ago I had Fright Night at #5 all time best vampire flick. I had Let the Right One In/Let Me In above it and From Dusk Till Dawn. Definitely would put Fright Night above them after seeing it again for the first time in a long time. Near Dark still #1 though. Always loved 30 Days of Night but have no idea how to rank it now.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Fright Night has always been #1 for me with Lost Boys just a smidge behind
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I wanna like this more but there is just zero originality in these exorcism films. The way this steals from the Exorcist is almost shameful. C+
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Tiggnutz wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:37 pm
I wanna like this more but there is just zero originality in these exorcism films. The way this steals from the Exorcist is almost shameful. C+
Wait til you see Exorcist Believer. :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

It was more jumping from the obvious 70's grindhouse horror style of X, to the technicolor 1930's film love in Pearl.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Just started the new Neil Marshall movie (well, 2022), The Lair.

The opening feels like Great Value Top Gun: Maverick. Hell, not even Great Value, barely Dollar Tree deal.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Tiggnutz wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:37 pm
Definitely lack of originality in these movie. Maybe that's why I liked Crowe's fun personality in the whole ordeal, it helped feel fresh.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

My commute movies for today:

Unhuman - a fun psuedo zombie flick from Blumhouse. I didn't expect the twist, though I appreciated it because it was feeling run-of-the-mill by that point, but at the same time I'd wish a certain outcast trope would just die.

The Retaliators - in the first half I got the vibe this was trying too many things at once. The second half came together, but not enough to make me think the first half being an indecisive mess was worth it.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:20 pm

It was more jumping from the obvious 70's grindhouse horror style of X, to the technicolor 1930's film love in Pearl.
Ah. I thought maybe a clear movie reference or something.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

For MaXXXine we're looking at 80's sleaze, lol.