November 6th 2023

The daily chat room.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

November 6th 2023

Post by Tiggnutz »

Only a 4 day work week than I'm heading to Oaks Pennsylvania Friday afternoon for the last Monstermania convention of the year.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: November 6th 2023

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I don't know if Jason looked at that Rolling Stone list, but Lindsey Buckingham didn't even crack the top 100 guitarist list. 110 seems like a slap in the face. There are a shitload of nobodies on this list, I'm perplexed.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Man, Petrucci didn't even rank, but jo-blo wanky youtubers and nobodies can because RS is trying to be hip. Wow.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:54 pm I don't know if Jason looked at that Rolling Stone list, but Lindsey Buckingham didn't even crack the top 100 guitarist list. 110 seems like a slap in the face. There are a shitload of nobodies on this list, I'm perplexed.
*cracks knuckles* :P

I never looked at the list, but as my knowledge of music and musicianship grew over the decades, I've increasingly felt that Lindsey Buckingham is the most shunned musician there is. I'm not the least bit surprised that Rolling Stone left him off the list, only because lists like this are popularity contests written by posers who think the Beatles and the Stones are the greatest bands ever because society told them to believe so. They don't do deep dives into the deeper cuts and live albums of any bands, let alone bands with the most talented musicians. They'll name the hits, but never the underground gems. I posted the video when we had this discussion a few weeks ago, but one look at Lindsey Buckingham live performing Big Love flawlessly with no pick on lead and rhythm guitars all while singing the damn thing by himself is really all you need to see to prove how great he is. I can't even process how he has the capability to pull that off, and the dude is even self taught, which is equally incredible. I'm also grateful that you posted This Is The Time in the music board a few years ago. I hadn't listened to that album before and I don't know how long it would have taken me to discover it. A lot of those songs get a lot of air time on my music Playlist.

But yeah, Lindsey dwarfs nearly every guitarist who ever lived. I don't think the writers for Rolling Stone are drinking the Haterade, I just think their limited music knowledge and lack of comprehension prevents them for being able to write a decent article on the subject. I wouldn't be surprised if Kurt Cobain was hilariously placed somewhere in the top 20.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:18 am
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:54 pm I don't know if Jason looked at that Rolling Stone list, but Lindsey Buckingham didn't even crack the top 100 guitarist list. 110 seems like a slap in the face. There are a shitload of nobodies on this list, I'm perplexed.

I never looked at the list, but as my knowledge of music and musicianship grew over the decades, I've increasingly felt that Lindsey Buckingham is the most shunned musician there is. I'm not the least bit surprised that Rolling Stone left him off the list, only because lists like this are popularity contests written by posers who think the Beatles and the Stones are the greatest bands ever because society told them to believe so. They don't do deep dives into the deeper cuts and live albums of any bands, let alone bands with the most talented musicians. They'll name the hits, but never the underground gems. I posted the video when we had this discussion a few weeks ago, but one look at Lindsey Buckingham live performing Big Love flawlessly with no pick on lead and rhythm guitars all while singing the damn thing by himself is really all you need to see to prove how great he is. I can't even process how he has the capability to pull that off, and the dude is even self taught, which is equally incredible. I'm also grateful that you posted This Is The Time in the music board a few years ago. I hadn't listened to that album before and I don't know how long it would have taken me to discover it. A lot of those songs get a lot of air time on my music Playlist.

But yeah, Lindsey dwarfs nearly every guitarist who ever lived. I don't think the writers for Rolling Stone are drinking the Haterade, I just think their limited music knowledge and lack of comprehension prevents them for being able to write a decent article on the subject. I wouldn't be surprised if Kurt Cobain was hilariously placed somewhere in the top 20.
He was 88. Joe Satriani was only 94. Oye.

Actually, I'm surprised Joe even ranked.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:32 am
Jason wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:18 am

He was 88. Joe Satriani was only 94. Oye.

Actually, I'm surprised Joe even ranked.
I decided to look it up, looked through it a bit. Knopfler is low as shit. Ry Cooder is low as shit, but he's relatively unknown. And there are not 74 guitarists better than Ritchie Blackmore, and even if there were, Bonnie Raitt is not one of them. Lol
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

For anyone who wants it, the Evil Dead Rise 4K combo is only 9.99 on amazon right now.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Rolling Stone hasn't been about music for about 30 years now.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I figured the Rolling Stone greatest guitarist list would be ultra liberal diversity inclusive toilet paper but even I was surprised. I'm sure having 2 straight white men in the top 20 made some staff cry and need a visit to a safe space.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:49 am I figured the Rolling Stone greatest guitarist list would be ultra liberal diversity inclusive toilet paper but even I was surprised. I'm sure having 2 straight white men in the top 20 made some staff cry and need a visit to a safe space.
They compensated by putting John Mayer on the list.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jason wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:10 pm
Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:49 am I figured the Rolling Stone greatest guitarist list would be ultra liberal diversity inclusive toilet paper but even I was surprised. I'm sure having 2 straight white men in the top 20 made some staff cry and need a visit to a safe space.
It's click bait and it worked.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I'd put him on my list, however nowhere NEAR that high of placement.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:21 pm
I didn't even know he could play anything other than chords. Lol.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:35 pm
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:21 pm
I didn't even know he could play anything other than chords. Lol.
Dude could play. I was surprised when I saw him in concert (ex girlfriend was a fan) and heard him rip. I've respected him ever since and paid more attention to how he plays.