Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I gave Furiosa a 9/10, it's in 3rd place for me, just barely edging the original out (Thunderdome at the bottom). Road Warrior is the absolute top spot though, in my top 10 films ever.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Boy Kills World. Dystopian future where a boy is raised to become a killer to avenge his family's murder by the ruling family. Action/comedy that actually hits on both counts. I hated the camerawork and some of the editing, but the fight scenes were still good despite this. There's a scene with a cheese grater that is especially gnarly. Overall fun film.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

I Saw the TV Glow. Went into this only having seen the trailer and not knowing what the fuck it was supposed to be about. Turns out it's an allegorical drama about a guy who is scared of being himself. It almost went in a direction I thought was really good(can't say without spoiling shit), but nope, just more drama and confusion from the main guy. It's well made, great acting, and if the plot resonates with you, I'm sure it'll be a favorite. For me? Meh.
NightOfTheLiving_Sam

Post by NightOfTheLiving_Sam »

The last movie I watched was Late Night with The Devil: 2023. I was debating whether to check this out or not, but I'm glad I ended up checking it out. It was pretty decent. I loved the time period it took place at and loved that it took place on live TV. The vintage vibe the movie had made this movie especially enjoyable. I rate this horror movie: 7/10
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Furiosa. Meh. It was ok. There was a surprising amount of bad cgi. Despite the runtime, it still felt like it kept skipping ahead without showing anything(e.g. her time spent as the dogman). Acting/directing was great, plot was ok. Doubt I'll ever watch it again, which is a first for the series.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Sting. Expectations: jump scare trash about a girl who with a killer pet spider. Reality: the spider's a fucking alien(no reason, just for fun), it's got some good funny bits, no real jump scares, and the kid protagonist isn't an annoying little shit( a rarity). It's like someone took a cheesy killer spider script and gave it a decent budget. Good cheesy fun without the usual low-budget drawbacks(if you wanna call them that).
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

The Watchers
Meh, I found the premise intriguing enough, and I liked how the creatures are a mashup of other movies/myths/ideas, but there's just too much stupid fucking shit in it to give any positive rating and it's main reliance is pounding jump scares. It's another example that baffles me, on how a whole team of people have to look at this shit from the page to screen, and no one bothers to point out "this plot point/reveal/explanation is retarded".
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:06 am The Watchers
Meh, I found the premise intriguing enough, and I liked how the creatures are a mashup of other movies/myths/ideas, but there's just too much stupid fucking shit in it to give any positive rating and it's main reliance is pounding jump scares. It's another example that baffles me, on how a whole team of people have to look at this shit from the page to screen, and no one bothers to point out "this plot point/reveal/explanation is retarded".
I was iffy about it because it's Shammy's daughter, so that's about what I was expecting, but I'll still watch it eventually. I got a huge backlog though, so it might be a bit.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

In a Violent Nature. A film crew follows not-Jason on his quest to get back his mother's necklace from some "kids" camping in the woods. It's like the inverse of your typical slasher in that the victims have very little screen time and most of the film is just following the killer as he walks around the woods. The lack of soundtrack adds to the slow feeling from not much going on. I don't see why people are gushing over it, but it was ok. The guy that played Johnny could easily be Jason if they ever make another F13 film.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Good Boy. Story about a man and his dog...that's a man in a dog costume. This is a weird one. The guy hooks up with a girl on tinder and she meets the "dog" and storms off because what the fuck is that shit? She finds out the guy is rich, so she says fuck it and dates him anyway. Things only go into horror territory about halfway through. The ending is pretty fucked, but isn't anything showy(there's no gore in the film). The whole thing is probably a play on domestic abuse or trauma or some shit, but taken at face value, it's just a weird fucking film. Check it out if you can find it.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Megalomaniac. Follows the adult (fake) children of the (real) serial killer, the Butcher of Mons. The daughter is raped and abused at work, while the son continues daddy's killing spree. Very slow, kinda boring, a bit artsy and confusing. The daughter is batshit insane, and the film is mostly seen through her perspective, so there's an unreliable narrator thing going on that makes question what's real at times. The final scene could have been really brutal, but it was mostly dark and had lots of shaky cam, so you couldn't see much of nothing. Interesting, but skippable.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Finally had a reason to watch the original Beverly Hills Cop and tbh I thought it was pretty mid. Wanted to see it for a long time and I love Eddie so I expected to love it and I thought it was fine but pretty forgettable overall. One cool set piece in the beginning, otherwise pretty generic action stuff. Some laughs but not hilarious. The premise is great but there’s very little done to make the “fish out of water” dynamic actually interesting. To me it pales in comparison to 48 Hrs. and I probably won’t be watching any of the others in the series. It’s a C for me.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

My franchise grades would be
Beverly Hills Cop A-
Beverly Hills Cop II B
Beverly Hills Cop III C
Beverly Hills Cop IV C-
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

I personally quite like the first Beverly Hills Cop. I saw it somewhat late in life, but I consistently have a decent time with it.

Wasn't wowed by the second movie, though.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Lowlifes. A family on an annual roadtrip end up at staying with a redneck family in bfe. A bit of a more serious version of Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. As bad as that sounds, it turned out decent. My only real complaint is the son is one of the worst actors I've seen in awhile. His character sucked, too, which didn't help. Despite his dumbass, it's worth a watch.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

The Fall Guy - it was fun and I really liked the cast. Ryan Gosling can be hilarious he does have great comic timing. Definitely has some story cohesion issues but overall enjoyable. "B-" grade. I could see myself watching again and next time maybe it gets a "B"
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Winnie the Pooh B&H II. They went the Human Centipede route and said the first film was just a film to explain away the different costume design. They even went into explaining the origins of Pooh and the gang. Tigger tries his best to be a Freddy clone with his quips and constant use of the word bitch, but it's not great. Owl is mostly just an instigator, but does kill some people. Pretty much everything was improved upon from the original and this one is actually watchable, dare I say, decent. It's not good, but it's alright. Check it out if you're bored and have nothing else to watch.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Deadpool & Wolverine

Great time. And I agree, Ryan - DIsney would probably treat
spoiler
Henry Cavil
better than the studio up the street (great cameo).
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Decided to watch every DC/Marvel superhero movie ever made. Might take a couple months, but should be fun.

First up, we have Superman and the Mole-Men (1951)

Only 58 minutes, this black-and-white introduction to Superman was okay. I mean, it's nothing special - the plot deals with subterranean people who mean no harm, but because they look different, a lynch mob goes after them - but it's sort of fun. Clark Kent's portrayal is a bit different here than I'd expect, as he's not nearly as weak as he usually pretends to be.

For being such a short film, though, the decision to not have Superman turn up in costume until 25 minutes in seems suspect. And honestly, he didn't get a ton of screen-time. Lois Lane's character was a bit iffy, but she got better come the end.

Interesting piece of history, and certainly not a movie I've heard of before.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 5:31 pm Decided to watch every DC/Marvel superhero movie ever made. Might take a couple months, but should be fun.

First up, we have Superman and the Mole-Men (1951)

Only 58 minutes, this black-and-white introduction to Superman was okay. I mean, it's nothing special - the plot deals with subterranean people who mean no harm, but because they look different, a lynch mob goes after them - but it's sort of fun. Clark Kent's portrayal is a bit different here than I'd expect, as he's not nearly as weak as he usually pretends to be.

For being such a short film, though, the decision to not have Superman turn up in costume until 25 minutes in seems suspect. And honestly, he didn't get a ton of screen-time. Lois Lane's character was a bit iffy, but she got better come the end.

Interesting piece of history, and certainly not a movie I've heard of before.
if you can find the batgirl movie that warner bros is holding hostage for tax write off reasons, let me know! :P