What Are You Reading

You can talk about anything here
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Re: What Are You Reading

Post by Tiggnutz »

Started Nightmares & Dreamscapes. I started this sometime in the early 90's but didn't get far I think I lost the book or whoever lent it to me took it back because they were leaving Italy. Can't really remember but I do remember only starting a story about frogs when I stopped.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Ironically enough, I just read "Rainy Season" for the first time yesterday. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jigsaw wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:41 am Ironically enough, I just read "Rainy Season" for the first time yesterday. :P
Freaky
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Finished Wind Through the Keyhole and it was enjoyable enough. Maybe I will rank the series later on
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:32 pm
Jigsaw wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:41 am Ironically enough, I just read "Rainy Season" for the first time yesterday. :P
Freaky
Been flipping through my copy of that book recently. Re-read favorites like "Crouch End" and "The End of the Whole Mess" - right now re-reading "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band."

Probably not as good an anthology as Skeleton Crew (though it's hard to compare), but some really solid stories there.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jigsaw wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:55 pm
Freaky
Been flipping through my copy of that book recently. Re-read favorites like "Crouch End" and "The End of the Whole Mess" - right now re-reading "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band."

Probably not as good an anthology as Skeleton Crew (though it's hard to compare), but some really solid stories there.
I've never disliked any of his short story collection books before and I already like Dolan's Cadillac
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:01 pm
Freaky

I've never disliked any of his short story collection books before and I already like Dolan's Cadillac
I'd avoid Just After Sunset, then - while it has a few solid stories (N. is stellar), many of the stories are wholly underwhelming in my view.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jigsaw wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:29 pm
Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:01 pm
Freaky

I'd avoid Just After Sunset, then - while it has a few solid stories (N. is stellar), many of the stories are wholly underwhelming in my view.
I plan to read all his books if I live long enough 8D
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Will be starting Stephen King's 11.22.63 audiobook today during my lunch break
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Tiggnutz wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:01 am Will be starting Stephen King's 11.22.63 audiobook today during my lunch break
That's a really good one. One of his best post-2000 books, up there with Doctor Sleep, imo.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:36 pm
Tiggnutz wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:01 am Will be starting Stephen King's 11.22.63 audiobook today during my lunch break
That's a really good one. One of his best post-2000 books, up there with Doctor Sleep, imo.
Started off awesome
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:40 am
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:36 pm
Started off awesome
Also it's read by Craig Wasson the actor I know from the underrated masterpiece Body Double and he's a great reader
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

I enjoy 11/22/63. I don't love it, and I definitely think Duma Key is better, but it's a decently solid read with some boring portions at time (in my view).

Still, hope you enjoy listening to it.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jigsaw wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 12:57 pm I enjoy 11/22/63. I don't love it, and I definitely think Duma Key is better, but it's a decently solid read with some boring portions at time (in my view).

Long boring parts are a King standard if we are being honest.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:01 pm
Jigsaw wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 12:57 pm I enjoy 11/22/63. I don't love it, and I definitely think Duma Key is better, but it's a decently solid read with some boring portions at time (in my view).

Long boring parts are a King standard if we are being honest.
I've read It something like 15 times, and I can't really think of any boring portions. That said, I suffered through The Tommyknockers once, so now I 100% agree. :D
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I never read it, but I thought the TV mini-series was fantastic, even though it didn't pertain to my views on the JFK assassination whatsoever. :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:11 pm

I never read it, but I thought the TV mini-series was fantastic, even though it didn't pertain to my views on the JFK assassination whatsoever. :P
Yeah, I've not researched the JFK assassination whatsoever (I do own three books about it, as my father did do his own research, but I've not read them, nor do I know if they're even worth reading), but I definitely think there's more to it than simply a lone gunman. The fact that King 100% buys into the Lone Gunman theory doesn't surprise me, but it does make the book a little cringe at times.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Duma Key remains one of King's two Did Not Finish books for me, the other being Insomnia. I tried a few times with Duma, but ugh, just so blah. Insomnia I only tried once, and just never got back around to trying again.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:09 pm Duma Key remains one of King's two Did Not Finish books for me, the other being Insomnia. I tried a few times with Duma, but ugh, just so blah. Insomnia I only tried once, and just never got back around to trying again.
No doubt it's a slow-burn. If I recall, my mother had a difficult time getting into too. Sure, it may take 550 pages for anything to happen, but that's called fun. :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Could also be the artist in me calling bullshit with a non-artist writing an artist-character, so I struggle to get into it :P