Is Tom Cruise the Greatest Movie Star of All Time?

Discussion of all non-horror films. Oscar-nominees, Razzie-winners, we won't judge.
Forum rules
Want people to like you? Try being nice.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Is Tom Cruise the Greatest Movie Star of All Time?

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Anyone but Foo want to pretend these monuments aren't seen as symbols of racial hatred? People who came to Charlottesville didn't give a fuck about Robert E. Lee, they cared about the racism and hatred associated with the Confederacy. Why would neo-Nazis care so much? This isn't about Robert E. Lee. Wake the fuck up people. :roll:
the monuments are not the problem. the ideas that people associate with them is the problem. see a statue of walt disney.. you could think back to childhood, enjoyment of films he helped to create. or you could see it as representing the dumbing down of american youth. or you could just mistake him for vincent price. :P it's on you, not the statue.

i'm not into censorship. and i'm not into telling other people what that symbol represents to them. if you don't like it, move on. if you like it for bad reasons, then you're the problem. you should be dealt with. but it's not the statue that caused it, it's your bias and fucked upness. :P
It's easy to say that and not be black though. Neither of us could understand that.
no, i don't have that struggle or that history. but it still comes down to what they see into the statue.
What else could they possibly see? Give me a spin zone here.
in robert e lee? i don't know. again, not telling people what he represents to them. the statue just stands there. people act on their beliefs. if someone (or a group) is rallying around racist ideals, then punish that group. the statue is independent of that, even if they take inspiration from it.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Anyone but Foo want to pretend these monuments aren't seen as symbols of racial hatred? People who came to Charlottesville didn't give a fuck about Robert E. Lee, they cared about the racism and hatred associated with the Confederacy. Why would neo-Nazis care so much? This isn't about Robert E. Lee. Wake the fuck up people. :roll:
the monuments are not the problem. the ideas that people associate with them is the problem. see a statue of walt disney.. you could think back to childhood, enjoyment of films he helped to create. or you could see it as representing the dumbing down of american youth. or you could just mistake him for vincent price. :P it's on you, not the statue.

i'm not into censorship. and i'm not into telling other people what that symbol represents to them. if you don't like it, move on. if you like it for bad reasons, then you're the problem. you should be dealt with. but it's not the statue that caused it, it's your bias and fucked upness. :P
It's easy to say that and not be black though. Neither of us could understand that.
no, i don't have that struggle or that history. but it still comes down to what they see into the statue.
What else could they possibly see? Give me a spin zone here.
in robert e lee? i don't know. again, not telling people what he represents to them. the statue just stands there. people act on their beliefs. if someone (or a group) is rallying around racist ideals, then punish that group. the statue is independent of that, even if they take inspiration from it.
What do you mean you don't know? You do know. Nothing but racism and hatred. Clearly that's what the statue has come to symbolize to draw KKK, white separatists and Nazis out of the woodwork en masse. Why can nobody but Seb just call a spade a spade.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote: What do you mean you don't know? You do know. Nothing but racism and hatred. Clearly that's what the statue has come to symbolize to draw KKK, white separatists and Nazis out of the woodwork en masse. Why can nobody but Seb just call a spade a spade.
if a murderer gives his reason for doing it as watching child's play or oldboy or whatever else, do you condemn the movie or his actions? i'm not saying that they did not take inspiration from the statue and what it represents to them, but that's on them. punish them. call them out. show them to be fuckasses. the statue is independent of that, and it doesn't represent that to everyone.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote: What do you mean you don't know? You do know. Nothing but racism and hatred. Clearly that's what the statue has come to symbolize to draw KKK, white separatists and Nazis out of the woodwork en masse. Why can nobody but Seb just call a spade a spade.
if a murderer gives his reason for doing it as watching child's play or oldboy or whatever else, do you condemn the movie or his actions? i'm not saying that they did not take inspiration from the statue and what it represents to them, but that's on them. punish them. call them out. show them to be fuckasses. the statue is independent of that, and it doesn't represent that to everyone.
Nobody is claiming the statue created racists. It encourages them.

This isn't about a statue anyway . . .
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
i didn't say anything about creating them either.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Comparing movies to monuments makes no sense either. No crossover analogies work.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Then you had no point.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:Comparing movies to monuments makes no sense either. No crossover analogies work.
i wasn't comparing them. i was using an example of something else that has inspired people, and been blamed and criticized and attempted to be banned or removed, because of it. but we can go back to my walt disney example. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Where's the outrage for Lenin statues torn down in Eastern Europe lol
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Then you had no point.
are we fighting each other, or having a debate?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Comparing movies to monuments makes no sense either. No crossover analogies work.
i wasn't comparing them. i was using an example of something else that has inspired people, and been blamed and criticized and attempted to be banned or removed, because of it. but we can go back to my walt disney example. :P
Representation of history has a more legitimate effect on people's behavior than movies. By faaaaar.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Then you had no point.
Where's the fight? I'm asking you to reconsider your argument, not challenging you to a duel. Jesus
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:Where's the outrage for Lenin statues torn down in Eastern Europe lol
i'm not outraged over it. i'm just sharing how i feel on this. if something is universally seen as representing oppression or genocide or whatever, or is universally held as a symbol to inspire that in people, then take it down, i guess. but i don't see that as being the case with the robert e lee monument. *shrug*
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Then you had no point.
Where's the fight? I'm asking you to reconsider your argument, not challenging you to a duel. Jesus
no, you're essentially telling me that i don't have a point at all. if i said that to you, how would you take it? :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Then you had no point.
no, you're essentially telling me that i don't have a point at all. if i said that to you, how would you take it? :P
Depends on if you're right or wrong.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Where's the outrage for Lenin statues torn down in Eastern Europe lol
i'm not outraged over it. i'm just sharing how i feel on this. if something is universally seen as representing oppression or genocide or whatever, or is universally held as a symbol to inspire that in people, then take it down, i guess. but i don't see that as being the case with the robert e lee monument. *shrug*
Any time you can cater to the minority opinion that doesn't understand its own history and whose ancestors likely lived in squalor, ya gotta do it.

Not me though. I like to snap people out of their delusions. The CSA sucked dick. Unless someone's great-great-great granddaddy owned a bunch of black people, they probably agreed.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Any time you can cater to the minority opinion that doesn't understand its own history and whose ancestors likely lived in squalor, ya gotta do it.

Not me though. I like to snap people out of their delusions. The CSA sucked dick. Unless someone's great-great-great granddaddy owned a bunch of black people, they probably agreed.
history and historical figures / symbols mean different things to different people, even educated people.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

history and historical figures / symbols mean different things to different people, even educated people.
I'm not as sympathetic to catering to people's delusions or incorrect interpretations as you, apparently. Wrong is wrong.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Hardheaded is hardheaded.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

People are so stuck on this "both sides" olive branch mentality to not rock the boat that they're numb to reacting to situations when one side is actually clearly wrong. It's not helpful in this country right now IMO.