Is Tom Cruise the Greatest Movie Star of All Time?

Discussion of all non-horror films. Oscar-nominees, Razzie-winners, we won't judge.
Forum rules
Want people to like you? Try being nice.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Is Tom Cruise the Greatest Movie Star of All Time?

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote: Southerners have presented a fantasized image of the 19th century South for more than a century. It's lies. Not perspective. Lies.
do you think that some could find pride in certain elements, while also acknowledging and condemning the bad and fucked up shit that came alongside that? or is that too much?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

It's always been the same shit in the South, from the first time slaveowners noticed the "problem" of European indentured servants and African slaves getting along swimmingly. Find a way to pit poor whites and poor blacks against each other. Always frame the issue in a way that's going to divide them along racial lines.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote: Southerners have presented a fantasized image of the 19th century South for more than a century. It's lies. Not perspective. Lies.
do you think that some could find pride in certain elements, while also acknowledging and condemning the bad and fucked up shit that came alongside that? or is that too much?
Certain things like food and customs and such? Of course that's not too much.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Another thing southerners often gloss over in their history: Reconstruction was a period of unchecked white terrorism against the South's black populace. You'll hear about everything but the terrorism from that era.

They also don't much like to talk about how homeless blacks were rounded up, charged with petty crimes and forced to work on the same plantations they were freed from under even worse conditions in some capacity until the 1940s. So yeah, their "perspective" doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot when they're notorious for dishonestly presenting their own history. So why would I buy the "southern honor defender" line of crap?
You don't have to share their perspective. IMAGINE THAT!
And you don't have to share the perspective that ducks are in fact geese. And you're an asshole if you try to tear down that perspective.

Stop pussyfooting around with this "all perspectives matter" crap. They don't, that perspective is spawned from bullshit and fairy tales. Sorry your tolerance for bullshit is so high.
I never once thought Robert E. Lee represented hatred and oppression, sorry for that.
You never once thought the Confederate States of America represented hatred and oppression? Expand on that.
I said Robert E. Lee. And nope, you ain't gonna care anyways, remember?
Which nation was Robert E. Lee depicted as serving in the statue? I get that you have to pretend that part is irrelevant to make your point, but yeah.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

10/10 maximum points on these intellectual gymnastics. Such contortions to avoid admitting a statue of Robert E Lee brought out White Supremacists because it's a symbol of the Slavery obsessed South. Not him as a person, but that statue is exactly that. Nothing less.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Another thing southerners often gloss over in their history: Reconstruction was a period of unchecked white terrorism against the South's black populace. You'll hear about everything but the terrorism from that era.

They also don't much like to talk about how homeless blacks were rounded up, charged with petty crimes and forced to work on the same plantations they were freed from under even worse conditions in some capacity until the 1940s. So yeah, their "perspective" doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot when they're notorious for dishonestly presenting their own history. So why would I buy the "southern honor defender" line of crap?
You don't have to share their perspective. IMAGINE THAT!
And you don't have to share the perspective that ducks are in fact geese. And you're an asshole if you try to tear down that perspective.

Stop pussyfooting around with this "all perspectives matter" crap. They don't, that perspective is spawned from bullshit and fairy tales. Sorry your tolerance for bullshit is so high.
I never once thought Robert E. Lee represented hatred and oppression, sorry for that.
You never once thought the Confederate States of America represented hatred and oppression? Expand on that.
I said Robert E. Lee. And nope, you ain't gonna care anyways, remember?
Which nation was Robert E. Lee depicted as serving in the statue? I get that you have to pretend that part is irrelevant to make your point, but yeah.
That's my favorite part, actually.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

showa58taro wrote:10/10 maximum points on these intellectual gymnastics. Such contortions to avoid admitting a statue of Robert E Lee brought out White Supremacists because it's a symbol of the Slavery obsessed South. Not him as a person, but that statue is exactly that. Nothing less.
Only for you, bro.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Reign in Blood wrote:
showa58taro wrote:10/10 maximum points on these intellectual gymnastics. Such contortions to avoid admitting a statue of Robert E Lee brought out White Supremacists because it's a symbol of the Slavery obsessed South. Not him as a person, but that statue is exactly that. Nothing less.
Only for you, bro.
Well, me, history, and all those Nazis and white supremacists who came out in force to protest it being taken down.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Dude, I've been battling intellectual gymnastics in here from the time Foo decided this was all genuinely about a statue. Just one absurd deflection after another in this thread.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Headhunter wrote:
Dude, I've been battling intellectual gymnastics in here from the time Foo decided this was all genuinely about a statue. Just one absurd deflection after another in this thread.
If it helps I'm with you. It's harder to pretend this is about a military general devoid of any historical context than to just admit it's a relic that needs removing and that those out in force are racist scum.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

what that statue inspires in supremacists should not be tolerated or brushed under the rug. it should be met with contempt and calling them out for their shit.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

showa58taro wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
If it helps I'm with you. It's harder to pretend this is about a military general devoid of any historical context than to just admit it's a relic that needs removing and that those out in force are racist scum.
But we're supposed to afford the "southern honor defenders" some moral high ground here while they allowed Klansmen and Nazis to join their groups. :oops:
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

So it just an evolution thing? His statue has been up for how long and now all the sudden it's a big fuckin' deal to you SJWs?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
what that statue inspires in supremacists should not be tolerated or brushed under the rug. it should be met with contempt and calling them out for their shit.
Pretty sure that's why there were counterprotesters there. To make that point. Before they got run over by a car anyway.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
as the one you've primarily been arguing with, i can say nope, nope, nope. :P
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Reign in Blood wrote:So it just an evolution thing? His statue has been up for how long and now all the sudden it's a big fuckin' deal to you SJWs?
I would have liked to see all the statues removed in the 60s. I still can't believe they've survived as long as they did.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:So it just an evolution thing? His statue has been up for how long and now all the sudden it's a big fuckin' deal to you SJWs?
All your arguments have collapsed on themselves one by one by one, so now just call us SJWs. It's coo.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
Pretty sure that's why there were counterprotesters there. To make that point. Before they got run over by a car anyway.
i never condemned counter protesters. i think protest is important. and whoever hit them with the car should be punished.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign, do we need Mexican monuments on U.S. soil depicting their victories over American soldiers? Does France need Nazi monuments?

Nothing more un-American than supporting the Confederacy, I've often said.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Why is SJW an insult. Who isn't interested in a just society, other than cunts.