Is Tom Cruise the Greatest Movie Star of All Time?

Discussion of all non-horror films. Oscar-nominees, Razzie-winners, we won't judge.
Forum rules
Want people to like you? Try being nice.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Is Tom Cruise the Greatest Movie Star of All Time?

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote: My point is that it's a pretty weird demographic that was against slavery and the south but wants to preserve general Lee in statue form.
well, what does trump represent to you? does your take on him mean that foo is wrong for seeing something different in him? do you think less of foo because he does not denounce trump?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Do you think liberals will someday discover that Washington and Jefferson owned slaves? There is some pretty nice marble in those monuments I wouldn't mind having for countertops.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:We gotta get over this constant paralyzing fear in this section that describing the actions of a few will be interpreted as representative of the whole. We're all smart and nuanced enough to understand that's never been the case here, at least as far as I know. Nobody is saying all Muslims are terrorists. Nobody is saying all southerners are white supremacists. Nobody has said anything of the kind in this section at any point to my knowledge. Get over this idea already...
i'm guilty as charged, and i've seen others try to make the same distinction for one group or another, so i know it's not just me. but fair enough. i'll try to do it less often.
I can honestly say I've never see this happen except when we're fucking around, putting words in each other's mouths and being playfully annoying.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Foo wrote:Do you think liberals will someday discover that Washington and Jefferson owned slaves? There is some pretty nice marble in those monuments I wouldn't mind having for countertops.
Talk about a comment that has nothing to do with anything.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:We gotta get over this constant paralyzing fear in this section that describing the actions of a few will be interpreted as representative of the whole. We're all smart and nuanced enough to understand that's never been the case here, at least as far as I know. Nobody is saying all Muslims are terrorists. Nobody is saying all southerners are white supremacists. Nobody has said anything of the kind in this section at any point to my knowledge. Get over this idea already...
I don't know, we are in the Tom Cruise thread... :D
Statistically every Scientologist is a closeted homosexual.

Please discuss.
I think all the high-profile males have been accused as such... hmm
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Foo wrote:Do you think liberals will someday discover that Washington and Jefferson owned slaves? There is some pretty nice marble in those monuments I wouldn't mind having for countertops.
It's almost like that stuff was in history books. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote: My point is that it's a pretty weird demographic that was against slavery and the south but wants to preserve general Lee in statue form.
well, what does trump represent to you? does your take on him mean that foo is wrong for seeing something different in him? do you think less of foo because he does not denounce trump?
In the case of the Confederacy, feelings don't matter when facts are available. Having this idyllic impression of the Confederacy is not a perspective, it's just being incorrect.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
i'm guilty as charged, and i've seen others try to make the same distinction for one group or another, so i know it's not just me. but fair enough. i'll try to do it less often.
I can honestly say I've never see this happen except when we're fucking around, putting words in each other's mouths and being playfully annoying.
i don't do it to be annoying. maybe i've done it in a playful way at times, but yeah. it was not my intention to be annoying or overbearing with it. i do feel like it's important, when things seem to be going that way.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
I don't know, we are in the Tom Cruise thread... :D
Statistically every Scientologist is a closeted homosexual.

Please discuss.
I think all the high-profile males have been accused as such... hmm
Have people never talked about this? I was under the impression this was some popular theory lmao
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
Not sure that I see the equivalent. How do you abstract a General from the war he fought?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
i don't do it to be annoying. maybe i've done it in a playful way at times, but yeah. it was not my intention to be annoying or overbearing with it. i do feel like it's important, when things seem to be going that way.
I don't mean annoying in the harsh sense you do. Closer to ball-busting. Foo and I do all of what I've described a LOT. :lol:
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
In the case of the Confederacy, feelings don't matter when facts are available. Having this idyllic impression of the Confederacy is not a perspective, it's just being incorrect.
if you deny slavery happened, or shrug it off as not so bad, they should be thanking us for bring them to america or whatever crap, then yeah, it is incorrect. it's revisionist, idyllic blahblahblah. if i have something wrong, then tell me what actually happened, go further than just you're wrong, stop it. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
if you deny slavery happened, or shrug it off as not so bad, they should be thanking us for bring them to america or whatever crap, then yeah, it is incorrect. it's revisionist, idyllic blahblahblah. if i have something wrong, then tell me what actually happened, go further than just you're wrong, stop it. :P
You haven't promoted any theories or ideas yourself, so what are you talking about?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

The terrorism that took place in the South targeting blacks during the Reconstruction era was not widely known to all Americans until fairly recently.

Why?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
Not sure that I see the equivalent. How do you abstract a General from the war he fought?
hmmm.. you're arguing that everyone who feels pride in what robert e lee represents to them is either removing him from his time or is a racist? if so, context is important. and racism sucks. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
You haven't promoted any theories or ideas yourself, so what are you talking about?
earlier, you were very adamant about me being wrong about all of this. that's all that i was trying to get at.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I don't take this lightly when I say southerners were indoctrinated with generations worth of lies about the South in the 19th century. Everything from glorifying the Antebellum South (it was a feudal shithole), to intentionally misleading about the purposes of the Civil War (states' rights was a Union argument, not a Confederate one) and what actually took place during the early Jim Crow era.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
earlier, you were very adamant about me being wrong about all of this. that's all that i was trying to get at.
Because you spent so much time dancing around what the statue has come to represent in modern society. It's obvious. Why should I care about the perspective of people who believe the Civil War was never about slavery and that the primary discrimination of the Reconstruction era was directed toward white southerners and not black people? Seriously, why should I?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
hmmm.. you're arguing that everyone who feels pride in what robert e lee represents to them is either removing him from his time or is a racist? if so, context is important. and racism sucks. :P
Yeah, pretty much. Except for true historians who may have an intellectual fascination with Kee, the man, it seems like you can't take Slavery and the South away from a statue of Lee as a confederate general.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote: Because you spent so much time dancing around what the statue has come to represent in modern society. It's obvious. Why should I care about the perspective of people who believe the Civil War was never about slavery and that the primary discrimination of the Reconstruction era was directed toward white southerners and not black people? Seriously, why should I?
i think it doesn't represent the same thing to everyone is all. if some people are removing him from his time, then it might as well be mickey mouse. like i said, context matters. if you have pride in what someone represents to you, but you're removing him his time to make that pride work, he's essentially become a fictional character. it doesn't mean the same. it could be anyone. so if you want to push them to see the context, go for it. but i don't think that is true of everyone.