Anti-American media

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Anti-American media

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
Standing against your peers showing respect to America is Anti-American. We don't stand for the pledge because perfection is achieved, we stand for the pledge to show we are united, to respect the past sacrifices,and to show respect.

Time to stop pretending being a selfish clown is something else.
you're not standing against your peers by choosing not to stand. if you were trying to make them not stand too. then that would be wrong. that would be un-american. that would be a lack of class or lack of respect.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:Think for a moment where the anthem is played for the public. It is played at those public events that are not possible in many places because they lack the freedom. You are present and cannot stand? Oh, you don't like something and it is so bad you have lost respect for the country? Try staying home.
it's not about losing respect for the country. you can like the country as a whole, without liking every aspect or every action at all times.
So stand up and respect the anthem. Simple.

You don't think every single person in the crowd has some issues? The person fighting with the government over taxes, regulations, healthcare, etc.? The person who thinks a war is wrong, the president is wrong, their senator is wrong, the government is racist, etc.

They still stand. Those who sit think they are special snowflakes. They think attention on them is more important than showing simple respect.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:It could be noted that it IS anti-American to do away with the national anthem at games. Mainly because it is ONLY America that plays that during main sporting events so regularly. Most of the rest of us are happy to just chant at the opposition.
i made that point too. well the first part of it. :P if foo was talking about an effort to shame people into not standing or not playing the anthem, i would see that as anti-american, and i would be right there with him on the issue. this is not that issue though.
Feels odd for the King of individual responsibility and letting people get on with their lives not wanting to let people take responsibility and get on with their lives.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:Think for a moment where the anthem is played for the public. It is played at those public events that are not possible in many places because they lack the freedom. You are present and cannot stand? Oh, you don't like something and it is so bad you have lost respect for the country? Try staying home.
it's not about losing respect for the country. you can like the country as a whole, without liking every aspect or every action at all times.

You don't think every single person in the crowd has some issues? The person fighting with the government over taxes, regulations, healthcare, etc.? The person who thinks a war is wrong, the president is wrong, their senator is wrong, the government is racist, etc.

They still stand. Those who sit think they are special snowflakes. They think attention on them is more important than showing simple respect.
i'm not going to agree with your view on this. but you're welcome to disagree with me, or to view me as having a lack of class. you can view me as anti-american. if you say it out loud, i'm going to push against your view. cause that's not the case. that could not be farther from the case. simple.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

as for special snowflake... if you vote republican because a liberal did not stand during a ball game, that is snowflake-y. :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:It could be noted that it IS anti-American to do away with the national anthem at games. Mainly because it is ONLY America that plays that during main sporting events so regularly. Most of the rest of us are happy to just chant at the opposition.
i made that point too. well the first part of it. :P if foo was talking about an effort to shame people into not standing or not playing the anthem, i would see that as anti-american, and i would be right there with him on the issue. this is not that issue though.
Feels odd for the King of individual responsibility and letting people get on with their lives not wanting to let people take responsibility and get on with their lives.
I am not making them stand. They should sit and continue announcing their selfishness to the world.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

i'm not going to agree with your view on this. but you're welcome to disagree with me, or to view me as having a lack of class. you can view me as anti-american. if you say it out loud, i'm going to push against your view. cause that's not the case. that could not be farther from the case. simple.
Would you stand for the anthem at an event?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

if i happened to find myself at a ballgame, i would probably stand, yeah. but it is not anti-american to make the choice not to. it is anti-american to try to force others to do what you want of them.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I stand at US events. Even in the U.K. Because I'm not a cunt.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i have to ask if you only protest in a way that won't draw attention or cause a reaction in people, what is the point of the protest?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

showa58taro wrote:I stand at US events. Even in the U.K. Because I'm not a cunt.
Yeah, there is no place where I would not honor the tradition. Have not been to many event type things in Latin America, but it is common courtesy.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

if i happened to find myself at a ballgame, i would probably stand, yeah. but it is not anti-american to make the choice not to. it is anti-american to try to force others to do what you want of them.
Of course it is. As your fellow Americans are standing side by side in a moment of unity, you are saying you are different. It is why everyone rises, not just some people.

It disrespects the nation, your fellow Americans, the venue, and the performer.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:i have to ask if you only protest in a way that won't draw attention or cause a reaction in people, what is the point of the protest?
I thought the point of almost every modern day protest was self-aggrandizement and attention whoring. So yeah, doing it right.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote: Of course it is. As your fellow Americans are standing side by side in a moment of unity, you are saying you are different. It is why everyone rises, not just some people.

fair enough. freedom of speech and expression only applies when you feel like it does. and that's not pushing against american values or anything that american soldiers fought and died to protect.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote: Of course it is. As your fellow Americans are standing side by side in a moment of unity, you are saying you are different. It is why everyone rises, not just some people.

fair enough. freedom of speech and expression only applies when you feel like it does. and that's not pushing against american values or anything that american soldiers fought and died to protect.
Damn right.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

Damn right.
i'll stand for that.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i hope that most people can agree that you are not anti-american for choosing not to stand for the national anthem. if you usually stand during the song, and then one day you choose to sit it out. maybe people should ask why. try to understand it. and if it is something that he just does all the time, then go about your business. but either way, unless he is actively working against america, i will not call him anti-american.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:i hope that most people can agree that you are not anti-american for choosing not to stand for the national anthem. if you usually stand during the song, and then one day you choose to sit it out. maybe people should ask why. try to understand it. and if it is something that he just does all the time, then go about your business. but either way, unless he is actively working against america, i will not call him anti-american.
Standing for the anthem is how we tell our peers we are not anti-American. Go anywhere and be one of the few who do not stand when asked to as a show of respect and see how they respond.

You are asking someone to interpret your direct statement of disrespect as not being disrespectful. You want to protest, go find something to protest. Sitting on your ass while everyone else is showing respect is no great statement.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:i hope that most people can agree that you are not anti-american for choosing not to stand for the national anthem. if you usually stand during the song, and then one day you choose to sit it out. maybe people should ask why. try to understand it. and if it is something that he just does all the time, then go about your business. but either way, unless he is actively working against america, i will not call him anti-american.
Standing for the anthem is how we tell our peers we are not anti-American. Go anywhere and be one of the few who do not stand when asked to as a show of respect and see how they respond.

You are asking someone to interpret your direct statement of disrespect as not being disrespectful. You want to protest, go find something to protest. Sitting on your ass while everyone else is showing respect is no great statement.
i don't go to ball games or sports events. so you would probably say that i'm showing disrespect by not being present to stand or not stand.

it doesn't show respect that i'm upset by the notion that you think i'm anti-american?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I think it's a stretch to say it's anti-American or disrespectful to America as a country, per se. I definitely think it's disrespectful to our soldiers and those who sacrificed to ensure we are free and the best damn country in all the world. Plenty of soldiers even say, even though it pains them, someone not respecting the anthem or even worse burning the American flag, they and their compadres fought and died for people to have that right. It's part of the deal. And I agree with the sentiment for those that do sit, it just let's me see who is a proper cunt that much quicker. And no zombs, I don't need to launch an investigation into why and try and sympathize or understand, they are no class having cunts and deserve anyone to pay them no mind, moving right along.