More destruction of historical statues and monuments

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
showa58taro
Administrator

Re: More destruction of historical statues and monuments

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote: You're missing the point. It doesn't matter at all where idiots want to go. Idiots on the "remove all slave owners" get no more credence than "remove any statues of black people" fringe would from the KKK.
if it's just fringe that seeks for removal and not already well regarded members of a community with a large base too, then we'll probably be fine.
You'll definitely be fine. :) Glad we got that out of the way.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:I mean you know that "Slippery Slope" is a specific logical fallacy.
in this specific instance, maybe so. i really hope you're right. i hope the censorship and vandalism stops with civil war figures.
Well yes. That too.

But also it is a general fallacy that shouldn't be used as an argument.
you don't like it as a place to take an argument, and that's fine. but can you say that things have never snowballed from one incident to go further and further? do things just always happen in a vacuum, out of nowhere?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:I mean you know that "Slippery Slope" is a specific logical fallacy.
in this specific instance, maybe so. i really hope you're right. i hope the censorship and vandalism stops with civil war figures.
Well yes. That too.

you don't like it as a place to take an argument, and that's fine. but can you say that things have never snowballed from one incident to go further and further? do things just always happen in a vacuum, out of nowhere?
No. But each action and consequence has a chance to then respawn new actions. The fallacy isn't that a chain of events can happen. It's that there is inevitability in the final outcome based on the first step.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote: You're missing the point. It doesn't matter at all where idiots want to go. Idiots on the "remove all slave owners" get no more credence than "remove any statues of black people" fringe would from the KKK.
if it's just fringe that seeks for removal and not already well regarded members of a community with a large base too, then we'll probably be fine.
jason and you will definitely agree that al sharpton is an idiot. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
Well yes. That too.

No. But each action and consequence has a chance to then respawn new actions. The fallacy isn't that a chain of events can happen. It's that there is inevitability in the final outcome based on the first step.
you're mistaking my use of the argument. it's not that it will inevitably happen. and that is why i keep saying that i hope it doesn't. that i hope it only goes "this far".
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
jason and you will definitely agree that al sharpton is an idiot. :P
Sounded like it based on his last statement. Garbage.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
Well yes. That too.

you're mistaking my use of the argument. it's not that it will inevitably happen. and that is why i keep saying that i hope it doesn't. that i hope it only goes "this far".
Deal with each link in its turn. If it goes all the way to removing anyone who was born before 1945 you'll have every chance to try and stop it along the way.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I like having zombs on my side of an argument someone who reacts with reason not emotions
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
Well yes. That too.

Deal with each link in its turn. If it goes all the way to removing anyone who was born before 1945 you'll have every chance to try and stop it along the way.
there is always a chance to stop censorship along the way, from going too far, or becoming too unruly.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Tiggnutz wrote:I like having zombs on my side of an argument someone who reacts with reason not emotions
Sadly he's hit logic with his reason. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:I like having zombs on my side of an argument someone who reacts with reason not emotions
no i have hit stubbornness. :P we're both arguing from logic.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

showa58taro wrote:
The best of us can see further than what's right in front of us I can't always do that. Respect
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
Well yes. That too.

there is always a chance to stop censorship along the way, from going too far, or becoming too unruly.
Exactly. So saying we shouldn't do something that is right at this point in time because it will possibly lead to something wrong in the future discredits the notion of our ability to see what is right or wrong.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
It's true. My point is that I'm not arguing from emotions. :D
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
The best of us can see further than what's right in front of us I can't always do that. Respect
Trump could take a lesson
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
I feel like I'm being called a Prognosticator. Like a ground hog. :P
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

showa58taro wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Nah but you may be a slight more emotional driven it's ok though
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Nah but you may be a slight more emotional driven it's ok though
I thought it was me you were calling emotional. I really don't feel like I am. Bizarre. Genuinely just taking down logically flawed arguments and sticking to my principles. :D I also love arguing with Zombie. He's actually going to address me as a real person. Notjust a punching bag. There's respect between us.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
Exactly. So saying we shouldn't do something that is right at this point in time because it will possibly lead to something wrong in the future discredits the notion of our ability to see what is right or wrong.
do we know right from wrong? the best of us, absolutely. do we always act, when we should? sadly not always.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
It's true. My point is that I'm not arguing from emotions. :D
do you feel like i'm arguing from emotions, then? :P