08-30-2017

The daily chat room.
Jason
Administrator

08-30-2017

Post by Jason »

Big Bear again for work. No heat wave again for me. :D
Pretty damn chilly this morning, to be honest.

The work is kinda tougher, but at least it's not in 115 degree temps.
showa58taro
Administrator

Re: 08-30-2017

Post by showa58taro »

Where is Big Bear? And why is it so much cooler than where you live?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

It's not even 50 miles away. It's weird. Everywhere is beautiful but it has a radius of like 400 miles of nothing but desert and scum.

Pourin' ass rain out here. Definitely below 70. Amazing weather. Beautiful scenery.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

showa58taro wrote:Where is Big Bear? And why is it so much cooler than where you live?
It's up in the mountains, so it doesn't have Jason's normal south of heaven right next to hell weather.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

I put a car in my name for the first time ever. I officially own it and am responsible for it. So naturally I played with all of the buttons before doing anything else with it.

Word of advice, if you buy a used car, be prepared for the radio to be really loud when you turn it on, I was not prepared for it to be blasting and the dealer salesman guy laughed cause I jumped.
I started an erotic writing podcast with a friend
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

110 for me. And no shade in my walking commute.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Dream wrote:I put a car in my name for the first time ever. I officially own it and am responsible for it. So naturally I played with all of the buttons before doing anything else with it.

Word of advice, if you buy a used car, be prepared for the radio to be really loud when you turn it on, I was not prepared for it to be blasting and the dealer salesman guy laughed cause I jumped.
Why is that a used car thing? Just whoever fucked with it last left it on Rawk mode!
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Also, why a Prius? Don't you live close and even walk to work and shiz?
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

Reign in Blood wrote:Also, why a Prius? Don't you live close and even walk to work and shiz?

yeah. Mother-in-law drives farther, and we go for local trips sometimes (Boston mainly) and the Prius was one of the few cars that was both rated highly for reliability and fell in our price range. Add in finding a newer one with low mileage actually in our price range and I was sold.
Last edited by Dream on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Dream wrote:I put a car in my name for the first time ever. I officially own it and am responsible for it. So naturally I played with all of the buttons before doing anything else with it.

Why is that a used car thing? Just whoever fucked with it last left it on Rawk mode!

That is true. I just wasn't expecting it. Sound system was pretty excellent, even though I turned it down considerably. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Dream wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:Also, why a Prius? Don't you live close and even walk to work and shiz?

yeah. Mother-in-law drives farther, and we go for local trips sometimes (Boston mainly) and the Prius was one of the few cars that was both rated highly for reliability and fell in our price range. Add in finding a newer one with low mileage actually in our price range and I was sold.
I can dig it. Just most the people here who have/want one is they drive decent to extensive mileage everyday. Never driven one, but I've ridden shotgun and backseat and no, just no. Comfort was a big factor in getting my car, but I know there are a lot of factors at play. If you're happy, I'm happy. :D
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Where is Big Bear? And why is it so much cooler than where you live?
It's up in the mountains, so it doesn't have Jason's normal south of heaven right next to hell weather.
I can barely see those beautiful mountains from my house. My shit hole, long ass commute to work is toward Big Bear. Big Bear doesn't have many drivers, and a lot of the guys at the plant I am stationed at don't want to drive a giant ass cement mixer up the Big Bear mountains, their seniority kinda puts me there, so when the Big Bear guys have a lot of work ahead of them, I am one of the dudes that goes out there. The work is tougher, less time to dick around, but it's paradise out there, and that might even be an understatement. It's pretty close to rivaling some of the best parts of Colorado, and that is saying A LOT.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Dream wrote:

I can dig it. Just most the people here who have/want one is they drive decent to extensive mileage everyday. Never driven one, but I've ridden shotgun and backseat and no, just no. Comfort was a big factor in getting my car, but I know there are a lot of factors at play. If you're happy, I'm happy. :D

I have a car that runs, I'm ecstatic :P

We were working off of a list of reliable and fairly cheap cars, best years of the cars, etc. We got a hell of a deal on it and just jumped when the mechanic (our mechanic, not the dealer's mechanic) looked it over and said it was in excellent condition as far as he could see. We got it well below fair market value, here's hoping it wasn't a huge mistake :P

As far as comfort, I wasn't bothered by it at all. I'm used to shitboxes, so this was comparatively nice to me.

Also, part of the reason I never drove very far is because my car has always been questionable as far as if it could survive the drive. I don't feel that way about this right now and will feel more confident in longer trips once I've had it a little while and get a feel for it.

My one complaint is that it has a fairly large blind spot, but I won't be taking it on the highway until I've had it a while and feel more comfortable with the size of it. Some more getting used to it stuff: It's ridiculously light and fairly low to the ground. I'm used to heavy tank-type cars :P

Paying like 25 bucks a month in gas instead of 100 will be nice too. I can also plug in my music player and have access to thousands of songs I like instead of relying on radio to maybe play a song I don't hate.

The only other one that I test drove and liked was a Honda CR-V, it had a really smooth and comfy ride, but it was also two grand more, three years older, and had a few dents in the body. The salesman was super pushy too. If the dealer I bought from had a CR-V I probably would have went with it.

The one I got was a 2010, all of the others I was looking at in the same price range were '07 or before with a lot more mileage on them.

Things just kind of aligned to get it in my price range. Plus I was exhausted and sick of looking at cars as well. :P I've been broken out from sun exposure for the past three weeks, I've been borrowing cars that reek of cigarette smoke, so I've been going home sick as hell with a migraine every time.

I'm seriously just happy to have a car that runs, getting it for nearly 2 grand below asking price was just a bonus. <3
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Sounds excellent, Dream. It really does. :)
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Have realized that Politics, at the very least, is so much easier on a laptop than on my phone. I can type long sentences and complete thoughts rather than hacking away at my phone screen with one finger. Must get Ceri a laptop so we have one permanently.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

...Do I always use the tongue out smiley so often? God that's obnoxious, sorry!
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

It didn't stand out as much on old HMF where the smiley was cool. These ones aren't quite up to code yet, but we'll have to work on them at some point.