Liberal Plot to Destroy Small Business

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Liberal Plot to Destroy Small Business

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:i'm guessing you've read up more on his life that i have. i'll take your word for it, until (if) i find out different. if the movie was not accurate in the depiction, that would be nice to have noted somewhere. the way that it's noted with most other biographical / historical movie inaccuracies.

i guess we can just let this whole corporate greed thing go. whichever corporations, you spoke of, that are using liberals as useful idiots, are doing it for some other purpose, that does not relate to greed.
Why is this difficult? You have to be willing to sell something in order for another to buy it.

I have an uncle who has a hobby of restoring vintage corvettes. He buys them cheap and then resells them. I remember another family member calling him a crook because he bought one for like $4000 and sold it for like $20,000, Do you think the other family member was aware he had $10,000 in the restoration? Was it fair to judge without knowing the details?
said i'll take your word on this. what do you want?

no. it's not fair to judge him without knowing all of the details. do you blame people without all the details. yes. we all have. are some people accused of being greedy when they are not? sure. should it happen? no. if you find out something different about someone you thought to be greedy, you should adjust your view.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

" Fortunately, he is overheard by Harry Sonneborn, a financial consultant for Tastee-Freez, who agrees to review Ray's books. He realizes that the real profit opportunity is in providing real estate to the franchisees, which will not only provide a revenue stream, but give Ray leverage over his franchisees and over the McDonald brothers. Ray incorporates a new company, Franchise Realty Corporation, and attracts new investors. This move upsets the brothers and emboldens Ray: He increasingly defies them by circumventing their authority and providing powdered milkshakes to all franchisees." <--- why even include this within the movie, given that there is, apparently, no truth to it, if foo's summation of the deal is right.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

"Was Ray Kroc really doing all the franchising work while the McDonald brothers sat back and collected the profits?

Yes. Ray was so eager to see the restaurant expand, he had made a hasty deal with the brothers. As Ray sold the franchises, the brothers made a lot of money for doing nothing. Like in The Founder movie, Ray met Harry Sonneborn (played by B.J. Novak), a financial expert who showed him another way of making money off the deal that would not involve selling hamburgers (BBC McDonald's Documentary). It involved creating a real estate company that would buy up (or lease) the land on which all McDonald's would be located. Then, franchisees would pay Kroc a monthly rental fee for the land or a percentage of their sales, whichever was greater. Kroc started the Franchise Realty Corporation in order to execute the plan. -Ray Kroc: The Vision that Revolutionized the World."

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/founder/

could be false, still. will do further reading.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:" Fortunately, he is overheard by Harry Sonneborn, a financial consultant for Tastee-Freez, who agrees to review Ray's books. He realizes that the real profit opportunity is in providing real estate to the franchisees, which will not only provide a revenue stream, but give Ray leverage over his franchisees and over the McDonald brothers. Ray incorporates a new company, Franchise Realty Corporation, and attracts new investors. This move upsets the brothers and emboldens Ray: He increasingly defies them by circumventing their authority and providing powdered milkshakes to all franchisees." <--- why even include this within the movie, given that there is, apparently, no truth to it, if foo's summation of the deal is right.
I never said anything about milkshakes...
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:"Was Ray Kroc really doing all the franchising work while the McDonald brothers sat back and collected the profits?

Yes. Ray was so eager to see the restaurant expand, he had made a hasty deal with the brothers. As Ray sold the franchises, the brothers made a lot of money for doing nothing. Like in The Founder movie, Ray met Harry Sonneborn (played by B.J. Novak), a financial expert who showed him another way of making money off the deal that would not involve selling hamburgers (BBC McDonald's Documentary). It involved creating a real estate company that would buy up (or lease) the land on which all McDonald's would be located. Then, franchisees would pay Kroc a monthly rental fee for the land or a percentage of their sales, whichever was greater. Kroc started the Franchise Realty Corporation in order to execute the plan. -Ray Kroc: The Vision that Revolutionized the World."

This is true.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:" Fortunately, he is overheard by Harry Sonneborn, a financial consultant for Tastee-Freez, who agrees to review Ray's books. He realizes that the real profit opportunity is in providing real estate to the franchisees, which will not only provide a revenue stream, but give Ray leverage over his franchisees and over the McDonald brothers. Ray incorporates a new company, Franchise Realty Corporation, and attracts new investors. This move upsets the brothers and emboldens Ray: He increasingly defies them by circumventing their authority and providing powdered milkshakes to all franchisees." <--- why even include this within the movie, given that there is, apparently, no truth to it, if foo's summation of the deal is right.
I never said anything about milkshakes...
i may get stuff wrong sometimes, but at least i actually make an effort to read through your posts.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:"Was Ray Kroc really doing all the franchising work while the McDonald brothers sat back and collected the profits?

This is true.
you made a case that i was stupid, and that it was ridiculous, when i brought that up. but now, i cite sources beyond the movie, and it's true?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Also, I don't doubt for a moment that is true about the milkshakes.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

This is true.
you made a case that i was stupid, and that it was ridiculous, when i brought that up. but now, i cite sources beyond the movie, and it's true?
Are you creating a strawman right now?

I am not sure what you are arguing.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

for the record, it's not the milkshake thing that bothers me. it's a cheaper substitute, and mcdonalds is known for that. he wanted to cut costs with that, they didn't want him to. so when he started to gain more control from them, he did it his way. the milkshake isn't the issue.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

This is true.
Are you creating a strawman right now?

I am not sure what you are arguing.
okay. not a strawman. don't worry about it.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:for the record, it's not the milkshake thing that bothers me. it's a cheaper substitute, and mcdonalds is known for that. he wanted to cut costs with that, they didn't want him to. so when he started to gain more control from them, he did it his way. the milkshake isn't the issue.
Especially then, everything had to change when you started franchising outside of your market. Everything was regional in terms of supplies.

From what I have read, Kroc made a bad deal in the beginning. The McDonalds wanted money though, so they sold. When he turned it into something, they got bitter.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:for the record, it's not the milkshake thing that bothers me. it's a cheaper substitute, and mcdonalds is known for that. he wanted to cut costs with that, they didn't want him to. so when he started to gain more control from them, he did it his way. the milkshake isn't the issue.
Especially then, everything had to change when you started franchising outside of your market. Everything was regional in terms of supplies.

From what I have read, Kroc made a bad deal in the beginning. The McDonalds wanted money though, so they sold. When he turned it into something, they got bitter.
what bad deal is that?

the mcdonalds didn't just decide out of the blue to sell the business to him. they sold cause he pushed them out, essentially, through the real estate corporation. and then made a "handshake deal" with them, to have a little percent of all sales and that was clearly a mistake not to have in an actual contract.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

there is one bit of not greediness info that i found interesting though. apparently, ray asked walt disney to include a mcdonalds in his california park, but then backed out cause disney wanted to sell the fries for a higher price and kroc didn't wanna gouge his customers with that. so yeah, no mcdonalds in disneyland when it opened. :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

what bad deal is that?

the mcdonalds didn't just decide out of the blue to sell the business to him. they sold cause he pushed them out, essentially, through the real estate corporation. and then made a "handshake deal" with them, to have a little percent of all sales and that was clearly a mistake not to have in an actual contract.
A deal that gave them money without doing any work.

How did he push them out? He bought the business. As far as I know, he never bought the land under their restaurant and forced them to do anything.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:there is one bit of not greediness info that i found interesting though. apparently, ray asked walt disney to include a mcdonalds in his california park, but then backed out cause disney wanted to sell the fries for a higher price and kroc didn't wanna gouge his customers with that. so yeah, no mcdonalds in disneyland when it opened. :P
Have you ever considered starting a business?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

what bad deal is that?

How did he push them out? He bought the business. As far as I know, he never bought the land under their restaurant and forced them to do anything.
that was what he wanted to do. he wanted franchise it. they didn't want to. they were still working their business, so that's kind of crap.

i've seen it cited a few places (including the one linked here, where you said "this is true." ) that he created a real estate corporation along with some tastyfreez guy, and then bought up the land rights to the mcdonalds restaurants.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:there is one bit of not greediness info that i found interesting though. apparently, ray asked walt disney to include a mcdonalds in his california park, but then backed out cause disney wanted to sell the fries for a higher price and kroc didn't wanna gouge his customers with that. so yeah, no mcdonalds in disneyland when it opened. :P
Have you ever considered starting a business?
no, not seriously. and now, you can tell me how that makes my views and opinions here invalid or irrelevant or something. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I debated opening a movie theater to show older movies. Maybe a dozen screens, one movie per screen, and a new rotation every two weeks or so, with DVDs available for purchase of the movies that were shown. That dream was quickly shattered when it became apparent that it wasn't possible. :p
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

what bad deal is that?

that was what he wanted to do. he wanted franchise it. they didn't want to. they were still working their business, so that's kind of crap.

i've seen it cited a few places (including the one linked here, where you said "this is true." ) that he created a real estate corporation along with some tastyfreez guy, and then bought up the land rights to the mcdonalds restaurants.
They bought land to lease to franchisees. As far as I know, he never owned the land that the McDonald's brothers restaurant was on. that is why they were able to re-open under a new name.