It (2017)

News and thoughts on new movies.
zombie
Administrator

Re: It (2017)

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:I really want to like it. But I won't let my desire to enjoy it fool myself. If it's great, it's great. If it's JaySherman.jpg, it's JaySherman.jpg.
the only modern horror movie you like happens to have "it" in the title, so maybe if the title is just "it", you'll like it too. :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:I really want to like it. But I won't let my desire to enjoy it fool myself. If it's great, it's great. If it's JaySherman.jpg, it's JaySherman.jpg.
the only modern horror movie you like happens to have "it" in the title, so maybe if the title is just "it", you'll like it too. :P
Almost didn't understand that, then I remembered how Jason drools over It Follows. Well done, zombie. :lol:
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Not just me. That movie rocked the shit.

And what counts as modern? I dug Conjuring, Come Back to Me, Insidious, and a few others.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:Not just me. That movie rocked the shit.

And what counts as modern? I dug Conjuring, Come Back to Me, Insidious, and a few others.
it follows is a good flick. come back to me is better. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

No, but it was quite good.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Monster wrote:I think I liked it. I'll need to see it again to be sure. The wrong company can ruin a movie. My 26 year old nephew has the attention span of a 4 year old. constantly getting up or fidgeting or looking at his fucking cell phone or asking what happened while he was busy with his phone. Really made it hard to get sucked into the movie. That said, I was very impressed with Pennywise. Had a good creepy vibe.
Was your theater pretty empty? I ask because I would have been all over your asses, him for being a fuckstick and you for explaining shit. I had a friend like that in high school. Went to the movies with him maybe twice. He suddenly wondered why we talk about going to the movies and none in our group of friends invited him.
Wasn't full, but quite a few seats filled for a weekday afternoon. We sure as hell annoyed some folks. Amazing they didn't say anything.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I really liked it. I can only nitpick the use of CGI when it wasn't necessary. I thought Bill was pretty damn good in spite of being in the shadow of Curry's legendary performance. I liked that Eddie's sass from the book was there, and Ritchie's jokes land (I really wasn't sure how well the kid from Stranger Things was going to play him, but he nailed it). Yes, there's jump scares, but I feel that all the setups earn the jumps, they didn't feel cheap to me.

Even at 2 hours and 15 minutes, it still seems brief, but that's because the pace was excellent I want more, lol.

Will be seeing it again later today after the dentist. Definitely feel it's one of the best modern horror movies to come out in a while, but not sure how high I'd place it.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Stan is the only one of the Loser's Club that had an actor that I thought was just eh. Bill was technically good, but I definitely thought Brandis was still a way better Bill, with a wider margin than Curry vs. Skarsgard. Not really a knock against the movie itself, but definitely something I feel.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

It Follows was ok. I have seen it three times already, and same result every time. Now, Insidious.....that there is a great modern horror movie.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Jmac Attack wrote:It Follows was ok. I have seen it three times already, and same result every time. Now, Insidious.....that there is a great modern horror movie.
I agree that It Follows was ok, but Insidious was laughably bad.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:It Follows was ok. I have seen it three times already, and same result every time. Now, Insidious.....that there is a great modern horror movie.

I think Jig, Jason, and I were the only ones who dug it.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Nah, I liked Insidious too. I prefer It Follows to it though.

Unfortunately, after about 5 watches, It Follows doesn't have much rewatch value for me, so the sharpness dulled for me already.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I didn't know this: Skarsgard Jr. could actually move his eyes around separately so the director didn't have to use CGI to pull off the trick. That's cool...but they still clearly used CGI to highlight what's going on in those spots :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Get Out is definitely not the top horror movie for me this year anymore (not that I saw any other new ones).
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Saw a funny meme that I tried to post but it was HUGE when I just screencapoed it on my phone.

Apparently It in the book emerges every 27 years.

Tv series was in 1990. Film is in 2017
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

showa58taro wrote:Saw a funny meme that I tried to post but it was HUGE when I just screencapoed it on my phone.

Yep, that's been noticed :P

Also, Skarsgard jr was born in 1990...
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Saw a funny meme that I tried to post but it was HUGE when I just screencapoed it on my phone.

Let the coincidences fly!

I'm tempted to go see this. If I can't enjoy this maybecive lost the horror spark for good.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

showa58taro wrote:

I'm tempted to go see this. If I can't enjoy this maybecive lost the horror spark for good.
Yeah, I don't know where you got the genericness from the trailer, but if it's what you think it's what you think. If that's generic, I wish I could get my hands on more of this generic these days :P
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

showa58taro wrote:

Yeah, I don't know where you got the genericness from the trailer, but if it's what you think it's what you think. If that's generic, I wish I could get my hands on more of this generic these days :P
It was just a gut feeling. I think it was most obvious from Evil Dead the remake. It felt well-made but lacked a lot of the "charm" I like in a horror film.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jmac Attack wrote:
Slaughterhouserock wrote:

I think Jig, Jason, and I were the only ones who dug it.
Whoa, Nelly.

I haven't even seen Insidious, and truth be told, it's not high on my interest list. :)
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/