Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

The Alamo (2004) ............... B-

Plodding pace, an uncharismatic (and strangely really old) General Santa Ana, and an ending that just seemed like it was hacked together at the last minute hurts this movie pretty hard, I see why it bombed. However, the four main actors (Quaid, Thorton, Wilson, Patrick) were all great, I was surprised at Jason Patric as Jim Bowie. Billy Bob as David Crockett is definitely the best thing about the movie, and it seemed like the movie might have been better had it focused on him as the lead rather than hodge-podging it. I liked the historical attention to detail too, especially no bell on the Alamo itself, Crockett getting executed, and Travis dying early in the final siege. Definitely mixed bag.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Pirates of The Caribbean-Salazar's Revenge

I'm going to be bold and say that I admit I fully enjoyed it great tie back to the original installment. References peppered but not overdone. Done great pirates action and a compelling villain. I'd go so far as to say Salazar is the strongest of the sequel villains. It helps massively that Javier Bardem has perfected his maniac persona for film by this point. But he brings an interesting sincerity to his hatred.

I think the two younger actors struggled a bit to impose themselves on the screen, the young guy in particular. It's very clear he knows he's on screen with Javier Bardem, Johnny Depo, Geoffrey Rush etc. the girl fares better insofar as she gets a bit more confidence into it. Occasionally a bit annoying but I can live with that as she was also very pretty.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Is that Dead Men Tell No Tales over there?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Apparently that's what it was released as in most the world.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Is that Dead Men Tell No Tales over there?
Perhaps? I assume. I don't know if you've got some US-friendlier version without Paul McCartney or summat.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

showa58taro wrote:
Perhaps? I assume. I don't know if you've got some US-friendlier version without Paul McCartney or summat.
No, he's there. It's just that it's called Dead Men Tell No Tales stateside.
Attachments
`111aaDeadMen.jpg
`111aaDeadMen.jpg (17.14 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Strange the subtitle isn't the same around the world when the line is based off the ride itself.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Strange the subtitle isn't the same around the world when the line is based off the ride itself.
It's also a quote in the movie from Salazar and then the title card appears directly afterwards.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Havok wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
I feel like I like Salazar's Revenge better.

Javier Bardem deserves a specific mention in this bad boy. He's excellent.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Havok wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Strange the subtitle isn't the same around the world when the line is based off the ride itself.
It's also a quote in the movie from Salazar and then the title card appears directly afterwards.
Indeed, I can see why they would call it that, but I am not clear why that is not the wording here.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

the only theory that i can find about the name change (and it's just a theory) is that maybe 'dead men tell no tales' is too similar to an existing movie or other property within the uk and europe?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

showa58taro wrote:
Havok wrote:
showa58taro wrote:

Salazar's Revenge sounds horribly generic lol
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Been watching The Keepers on Netflix.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:the only theory that i can find about the name change (and it's just a theory) is that maybe 'dead men tell no tales' is too similar to an existing movie or other property within the uk and europe?
Maybe. That's what happened with Moana. Called Vaiana in Europe.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Havok wrote:
showa58taro wrote:

Salazar's Revenge sounds horribly generic lol
Personally I think both are "Generic titles" but Salazar gives Bardem more credit. His cry of "Jack Sparrow" and its pronunciation is impressive.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Stung (2015)

What could have been a moderately enjoyable comedic horror romp, Stung came out far more stale than I'd have expected. Giving credit where credit is due, the two main actors and actresses, being Matt O'Leary and Jessica Cook, were cute, and moderately adorable, together. They had some decently awkward exchanges that are always fun (well, not for those participating, anyways), and for the most part, it felt real to me. About everything else fell flat, though - even before the atrocious shift an hour or so into the movie, plenty of parts felt far more filler than substance. Hell, some parts even felt boring, which isn't quite what I feel this movie was aiming for. Other portions felt generic, and I'm not entirely clear whatsoever on what Lance Henriksen's purpose was, insofar as his character was concerned. But then you hit the hour mark, and it just gets worse, culminating in the two characters making love in the back of an ambulance when, surprise surprise, hundreds of giant wasps start attacking. And cut to black. So not much of a conclusion, and honestly, pretty overwhelming all-in-all. I also didn't care whatsoever for Clifton Collins Jr.'s character, but the less said about that aspect of the film, the better. I'd take Mosquito (1995) over this any day. 4.5/10.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Kickboxer: Vengeance ............ C+

Cool fighting, JCVD is frigg'n great as Durand (and his wardrobe looks SO comfortable), and I did like Bautista as Tong Po, but the new Sloan was bland (as an actor, his fighting was pretty good) and they had to shoe-horn a loose plot of him being a fugitive and the detective "protecting" him is his romantic interest. And there was a whole other subplot with Gina Carano that didn't really go anywhere, so that was pointless filler. Better than the Sasha Mitchell sequels (though i didn't hate those), but obviously not on par with the original.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Kickboxer: Vengeance ............ C+

Cool fighting, JCVD is frigg'n great as Durand (and his wardrobe looks SO comfortable), and I did like Bautista as Tong Po, but the new Sloan was bland (as an actor, his fighting was pretty good) and they had to shoe-horn a loose plot of him being a fugitive and the detective "protecting" him is his romantic interest. And there was a whole other subplot with Gina Carano that didn't really go anywhere, so that was pointless filler. Better than the Sasha Mitchell sequels (though i didn't hate those), but obviously not on par with the original.
Pretty much nailed my feelings on it. Loved Van Dammage in the Uncle Xian role, and Bautista is a pretty formidable Po, but was underwhelmed by everything else.
Deadbydawn
Charter Member

Post by Deadbydawn »

Wonder Woman was aces! I all ready told D we're seeing it again.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

good to hear.:) hoping this bodes well for batgirl and captain marvel. (as the next confirmed heroines to lead their own movies)