Intergenerational Reparations

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Foo
Administrator

Re: Intergenerational Reparations

Post by Foo »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote: You didn't commit acts specifically, but you did benefit from the situation that created. I mean, we are effectively talking nation states or possibly federal groupings and their ascribed guilt or non-guilt, which is why any discussion revolves almost exclusively around the guilt of YOU as a person, but whether as a group, it should be acknowledged that something was done. its not really putting the guilt on you personally, but on the society in which you are part of but not singularly responsible for.

I think that is how it is meant to ground the past into a tangible institutional change that drives the discussion forward.
well, i did (and do) agree that these things should be acknowledged, so that we can learn and grow as a society. so that we don't repeat them in the future. we can look back on it, as a bad point that we can improve from. (or in some cases have moved from)

and i think that it gets tricky, when you try to determine if and how much our culture / society benefited in the current form, from slavery. and again, you're extending the sins of the father, to his great grandchildren. it's so far removed at this point, that i don't think you can fairly cast that blame.

Is it fair to blame the US for atrocities in Vietnam?
I guess if you do not understand the war it is...

Why not blame China? Why not blame the Soviet Union? Why not blame the Vietnamese?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:Should every country really take it on the chin for wartime atrocities? War is hell, afterall.
They did in the old days. Genuinely, the conclusion of most pre 1800s wars resulted in reparations being paid over. It was not that odd a concept, frankly.
it seems kind of an odd concept to me, honestly. but it could be a nice gesture to help out after a conflict.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

showa58taro wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:Should every country really take it on the chin for wartime atrocities? War is hell, afterall.
They did in the old days. Genuinely, the conclusion of most pre 1800s wars resulted in reparations being paid over. It was not that odd a concept, frankly.
Usually as a concession from the loser to stop the war.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
that seems even more odd to me, unless the loser is also the one who declared the war, or was the aggressor.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
that seems even more odd to me, unless the loser is also the one who declared the war, or was the aggressor.
Winners write the history.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote: Winners write the history.
sometimes. i bet that germany has a different view of world war 2 than the allies do.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
sometimes. i bet that germany has a different view of world war 2 than the allies do.
Most certainly. How much has Germany paid in war reparations since ww2? The agreement was massive, but I don't know what they actually paid.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Most certainly. How much has Germany paid in war reparations since ww2? The agreement was massive, but I don't know what they actually paid.
i don't know how much, but they were the aggressor, so that i can understand better.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
i don't know how much, but they were the aggressor, so that i can understand better.

Who is the aggressor is almost certainly a matter of perspective. As an example, in the US civil war, who was the aggressor?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

Who is the aggressor is almost certainly a matter of perspective. As an example, in the US civil war, who was the aggressor?
as i understand it, the northern states wanting to keep america unified, so they were the aggressors, initially?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Do you think Lincoln viewed himself as an aggressor?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:Do you think Lincoln viewed himself as an aggressor?
no. i don't think hitler considered himself an aggressor either. or kim jong un. no one considers themselves as the bad guy in reality.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
no. i don't think hitler considered himself an aggressor either. or kim jong un. no one considers themselves as the bad guy in reality.
Since we are living it now, would you say Kim jung un is an aggressor? Or could we be the victims of reading our own news and wanting to see it this way.

I think the answer is less than clear.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Since we are living it now, would you say Kim jung un is an aggressor? Or could we be the victims of reading our own news and wanting to see it this way.

I think the answer is less than clear.
that is entirely possible. dennis rodman seems to think that he's a pretty decent guy, :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Even beyond that. We tend to demonize their missile tests and such, basically striving for the same technology that we possess because we took similar steps.

Would you know the difference between legitimate act in North Korea and hostile acts without the filter of the western media? I wouldn't.

Look at the flip flopping our politicians do on Russia. It all depends on who is in power and who can gain political capital.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i do think that we play up the threat of north korea. i've stated before that i feel like america uses them as both a punching bag and a bogeyman. but even beyond the united states, he has a negative reputation. which, still, could be misleading, but it's something more to go on, at least.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i like this kind of discussion from you though. it's nice to get you questioning some official united states narrative, regarding our "enemies".
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:i like this kind of discussion from you though. it's nice to get you questioning some official united states narrative, regarding our "enemies".
Want me to start questioning the climate change narrative? I just want to make zombie happy!!!
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:i like this kind of discussion from you though. it's nice to get you questioning some official united states narrative, regarding our "enemies".
Want me to start questioning the climate change narrative? I just want to make zombie happy!!!
that's something specific to liberals. you question that kind of thing all of the time. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Let's be real for a sec. The amount of "point and laugh at this batshit liberal story" posts would look pretty tame at times if we did the same thing with their right-wing counterparts. I try to avoid it because it's a non-starter for everyone here while the reverse is a pastime in these threads for the usual suspects. I got no problem with that though.
Soo, what's the problem?
Who said there was a problem? I'm just pointing out there's a false reality presented every time you guys choose to point out the worst from the left and every time we choose not to do the reverse for whatever reason. There's nothing wrong with it, just an observation. Carry on.
Always knew you were a closet lib.