The October Challenge Discussion Thread: 2017

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: The October Challenge Discussion Thread: 2017

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

"You're so Cool Brewster: The Story Of Frightnight" is the name of the doc. Released in 2016.

Yep, a Simon Bamford does one great Roddy impersonation. Never heard of him, but well fucking done.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Watching this Fright Night documentary on Amazon/Shudder. I know it probably doesn't count for the challenge (as I don't remember documentaries counting) but I wanna watch it anyway. Could warm up right into Fright Night (1985) right after
If the documentary is about horror as a whole, or a specific horror film, they've counted in the past.

I remember The Rise and Fall of Slasher Films counting, as well as His Name was Jason.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

flyingspider wrote:Just starting Honeyspider...I have grave doubts about this one...keeping my fingers crossed.
I don't recall many decent spider films, lol.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Watching this Fright Night documentary on Amazon/Shudder. I know it probably doesn't count for the challenge (as I don't remember documentaries counting) but I wanna watch it anyway. Could warm up right into Fright Night (1985) right after
pretty sure that never sleep again counted for past challenges. but i don't know about other docs.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jigsaw wrote:
If the documentary is about horror as a whole, or a specific horror film, they've counted in the past.

I remember The Rise and Fall of Slasher Films counting, as well as His Name was Jason.
Oh really?

*scratches beard*

I'll wait for full consensus before counting it, but that's good to know.

It is 2 hours and 20 minutes, so it well passes the minimum 60 minute requirement.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Judging by the opening credit graphics, it may talk about Fright Night 2 as well.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

It just struck me - this movie reminds me also of Excision (2012), which is a movie I think you, zombie, might like if you've not seen it already.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I'm surprised at how well William Ragsdale and Amanda Bearse aged. Stephen Geoffries on the other hand, lol
flyingspider

Post by flyingspider »

The one "plus" for Honeyspider..is it is only 75 minutes long. So far, that is it's only redeeming quality.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Sorry, zombie - May, despite the decent final 25 minutes or so, didn't do much for me.

That said, I am happy I finally saw it and gave it a shot.

I did have occasional good music, though - "When He Calls Me Kitten" is going on my iTunes later.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Looks like Ragin Cajun Redneck Gators (2013) is on the menu for tomorrow. Sounds a solid time. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:It just struck me - this movie reminds me also of Excision (2012), which is a movie I think you, zombie, might like if you've not seen it already.
yeah, i've seen excision. while the lead character is a little bit may-ish. it reminds me more of american mary.

sorry, you didn't care for the movie.
flyingspider

Post by flyingspider »

Honeyspider, what can I say...other than I am glad I don't have to watch that one again anytime soon. You have been warned.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

They didn't talk much about part 2. Oh well. Pretty damn good doc.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Oh, it was funded by Kickstarter. Nice.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jigsaw wrote:

I think they should count. Some even include original cinematic elements.

What about something like Faces of Death?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

Oh really?

*scratches beard*

I'll wait for full consensus before counting it, but that's good to know.

It is 2 hours and 20 minutes, so it well passes the minimum 60 minute requirement.
Count it. Genuine horror docs are in the vein of the challenge.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Foo wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

I think they should count. Some even include original cinematic elements.

What about something like Faces of Death?
Count it.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

And a foul.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Look, while it's namely a horror MOVIE challenge, the spirit is about getting out and exploring and loving horror. I've let Tales from the Crypt slide as long as combined are over an hour. Jason etc. can do that with Tales from the Darkside etc. As long as the love and spirit are there, no worries.