The October Challenge Discussion Thread: 2017

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Re: The October Challenge Discussion Thread: 2017

Post by Jigsaw »

showa58taro wrote:The rules this year have an ambiguity I wanTed to check. Is it 31 films, 16 of which must be new? Is that the only rules. Or by implication is it 31 16N AND minimum 15 old? Because I’ve met the challenge of 31 films, and 16 new, but not with 15 old ones. What is the verdict?
Haven't watched a single rewatch, and have no plans to. Unless it's specifically stated in the rules, all that is required are 31 films, 16 which must be new.

Nothing at all is said about required rewatches, and hasn't been in some time (back in 2015, I watched only first-time viewings also).
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Havok wrote:Blood Creek from 2006 is ranking right up there with Slender as being another pile of shit i've sat through for the challenge. I'll probably be the one person (except Jiggy) to ever watch it, so take my advice and just keep it that way. No redeeming value at all.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll add it to my want to see list later.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Five movies today, all from the 1970's. Should be a fun time.

Starting with Blacula (1972).
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jigsaw wrote:
showa58taro wrote:The rules this year have an ambiguity I wanTed to check. Is it 31 films, 16 of which must be new? Is that the only rules. Or by implication is it 31 16N AND minimum 15 old? Because I’ve met the challenge of 31 films, and 16 new, but not with 15 old ones. What is the verdict?
Haven't watched a single rewatch, and have no plans to. Unless it's specifically stated in the rules, all that is required are 31 films, 16 which must be new.

Nothing at all is said about required rewatches, and hasn't been in some time (back in 2015, I watched only first-time viewings also).
Yeah just need 16 new watches out of 31 but you can have all new watches if you want.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Tiggnutz wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

Yeah just need 16 new watches out of 31 but you can have all new watches if you want.
Thanks both. Happy with that interpretation. Means I don't have to find time to do 2 old watches before Tuesday night if I don't want to. :)
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I think ive only watched Wrong Turn once so that will be a good rewatch. Always loved me a good inbred movie.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Tiggnutz wrote:I think ive only watched Wrong Turn once so that will be a good rewatch. Always loved me a good inbred movie.
I truly consider Wrong Turn a modern-day classic. Shame the countless sequels went on to damage the original movie (same with Saw, alas).
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Next up, 4 mosche di velluto grigio (1971), or 4 Flies on Grey Velvet, an Argento classic I've yet to see.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Yeah, way back in the early days, it used to be 16 new, 15 rewatch as the rules, but it evolved over the years to just 16 new watch minimum, with the 31 minimum total overall.
flyingspider

Post by flyingspider »

Twice Told Tales, good movie. The second story I actually read in college, so it was nice to see it in a "movie" form. Finishing The Swarm next.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

how did ingrid pitt become so synonymous with hammer films, the way that lee and cushing are? as far as i can tell, she only has two movies with the studio.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jigsaw wrote:Next up, 4 mosche di velluto grigio (1971), or 4 Flies on Grey Velvet, an Argento classic I've yet to see.
Watching this dubbed, which isn't bad (I liked Blood and Black Lace more dubbed than I did subtitled, as it turned out), but the problem here is that while the language is dubbed, the Italian messages and newsprint isn't. The main character just got some (possibly threatening?) message, but it being in Italian, I've no idea what it said.

Woe is me.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jigsaw wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:I think ive only watched Wrong Turn once so that will be a good rewatch. Always loved me a good inbred movie.
I truly consider Wrong Turn a modern-day classic. Shame the countless sequels went on to damage the original movie (same with Saw, alas).
That is a good flick :D
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Black Christmas 74
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

This gay private eye catapulted up to my top five supporting cast members of all the movies I've seen this month. What a card.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Tiggnutz wrote:
Monster wrote:Children of the Damned

Just from the opening credits I suspect this won't live up to Village.
I might save this one for another time .
Good call. It's pretty weak.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Monster wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
Monster wrote:Children of the Damned

Just from the opening credits I suspect this won't live up to Village.
I might save this one for another time .
Good call. It's pretty weak.
Perfect for next year's Challenge when I need new watches
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jigsaw wrote:
Pretty much agree. Although I did dig part 4, slashers in the snow are usually fun and it filled the void over not getting a rumored F13 in the snow at the time.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

flyingspider wrote:Twice Told Tales, good movie. The second story I actually read in college, so it was nice to see it in a "movie" form. Finishing The Swarm next.
The Swarm, one of the finest when animals attack flicks (yes bees are not animals, but for simplicity it goes into the sub-genre).
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I haven't seen The Swarm. Maybe I should add that if I can get my hands on it.