Desirability Bias

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Foo
Administrator

Re: Desirability Bias

Post by Foo »

Tiggnutz wrote:
Foo wrote:I would have stayed in and said we will match any efforts of the lowest effort member. So instead of giving the most and getting the least, we are on equal footing with the others.

Other nations can send us money. We can agree to cut emissions in 15 years or whenever it is convenient. Then sit there and act like we are an equal member.

Basically, finally become a true member of the international community!
That would of worked better the guidelines were self set and could of been altered and with the right amount of bullshit it could of been altered for decades instead we look like dick holes.
It is all feigned outrage from losers anyway. I would rather be prosperous than be popular in Denmark. They are upset because the gravy train is leaving.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

This Kathy Griffin press conference is better than I ever imagined!
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

The gravy train is arriving in Europe and Asia. That's why we aren't actually all that outraged.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

showa58taro wrote:The gravy train is arriving in Europe and Asia. That's why we aren't actually all that outraged.
Yeah sounds like heaven in Asia where everyone is happy :lol:
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:The gravy train is arriving in Europe and Asia. That's why we aren't actually all that outraged.
Yeah sounds like heaven in Asia where everyone is happy :lol:
China couldn't have arranged it better themselves.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Foo wrote:This Kathy Griffin press conference is better than I ever imagined!
I youtubed it expecting to turn it off 30 seconds in, but my god it is actually dripping with some gold. Bless Hollywood liberals. :D
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Foo wrote:This Kathy Griffin press conference is better than I ever imagined!
I youtubed it expecting to turn it off 30 seconds in, but my god it is actually dripping with some gold. Bless Hollywood liberals. :D
Ridiculous sums that shit up for me and still not entertaining. Poor poor pitiful me verbal diarrhea.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

This is America and you are free to say what you want and sponsors and employers are free to get rid of you for saying it so own that shit Kathy.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

mel gibson gets shitcanned and he just has to suck it up. kathy griffin gets shitcanned and it's bullying and ruining her career....
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

zombie wrote:mel gibson gets shitcanned and he just has to suck it up. kathy griffin gets shitcanned and it's bullying and ruining her career....
Yeah and if you say it was just artistic expression and you live on the edge than why be sorry it's so transparent.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Seemed to me she just wanted to be a campus hero. Now she's playing the victim. :roll:
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

It's like "I didn't think people would be offended everyone hates Trump" "Oh shit I'm losing money I'm sorry but not really sorry because I'm an artist"....OK now I'm finding enjoyment from it now :D
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

No big surprise, but she accepts responsibility exactly like Hillary has been accepting responsibility for losing the election.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Foo wrote:No big surprise, but she accepts responsibility exactly like Hillary has been accepting responsibility for losing the election.
Blaming the Democratic party for being shitty was particularly enjoyable.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i don't know if it comes out of desirability bias or out of confirmation bias or something else, but i feel like for the large part we've gotten caught up in winning an argument or trying to tell people what to think around here, more than having a discussion of different view points. there is a push to misrepresent and generalize each other, because it suits the argument. and maybe i'm alone in this, but it makes me feel put on the spot, just having to defend my position and point it out when i'm being misrepresented or lumped in with other people, because i've been identified as liberal, so i must have the same faults and views as even the craziest or stupidest of liberals.

and i'm probably guilty of the same thing as well, in the rush to win an argument or defend my viewpoint. but i've also tried to find out if i've been doing that to people. so yeah. anyways, this was on my mind today, and it seems like this topic is the best fit for it. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Fear not, zombs, you libs are all equal parts batshit. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I try not to generalize.

But I do leave troll bait.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:i don't know if it comes out of desirability bias or out of confirmation bias or something else, but i feel like for the large part we've gotten caught up in winning an argument or trying to tell people what to think around here, more than having a discussion of different view points. there is a push to misrepresent and generalize each other, because it suits the argument. and maybe i'm alone in this, but it makes me feel put on the spot, just having to defend my position and point it out when i'm being misrepresented or lumped in with other people, because i've been identified as liberal, so i must have the same faults and views as even the craziest or stupidest of liberals.

and i'm probably guilty of the same thing as well, in the rush to win an argument or defend my viewpoint. but i've also tried to find out if i've been doing that to people. so yeah. anyways, this was on my mind today, and it seems like this topic is the best fit for it. :P
Sorry... :(

Ultimately I genuinely think this is the fault of Jason and Foo loving politics but hating political debate. Everything is satire or caricature or straw-men, which is problematic when they are the two most prolific posters in the Politics section but are genuinely crap at debating politics. I don't mean that to be offensive, I just think that both have this black-and-white interpretation of everything and that means most debates relating to US politics or European politics are basically a wash-out.

Perhaps I'm blind to my own bias, but I know that I've had interesting discussions with TIgg, Reign, and Z in here recently where there is an acknowledgement of nuance, but it's the exception, not the norm.