Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
Monster
Charter Member

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Monster »

Pirates of the Caribbean 5

Nothing mind blowing. Fun movie though. About what I expected.
Deadbydawn
Charter Member

Post by Deadbydawn »

zombie wrote:good to hear.:) hoping this bodes well for batgirl and captain marvel. (as the next confirmed heroines to lead their own movies)
If theyre anything like WW it should
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

Doctor Strange

Blah. Big bucket of blah. Maybe it is good for stoners? I did like the cape though! I want one, a purple one!
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Blah is the perfect word for it. All I remember is a bunch of buildings moving around and Khan being a dick to everyone.
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

Monster wrote:Blah is the perfect word for it. All I remember is a bunch of buildings moving around and Khan being a dick to everyone.
Yeah, I didn't find myself liking him even by the end.
Deadbydawn
Charter Member

Post by Deadbydawn »

Ava wrote:Doctor Strange

Blah. Big bucket of blah. Maybe it is good for stoners? I did like the cape though! I want one, a purple one!

I totally told D that the movie would have been better if I was baked
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

Deadbydawn wrote:

And in 3-D!
Deadbydawn
Charter Member

Post by Deadbydawn »

Ava wrote:
Deadbydawn wrote:

And in 3-D!

Duuude, lit as fuckk lol
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Yep, highly enjoyed Wonder Woman, and I would definitely say it's the best movie of the DCEU so far, though I am still no hater on BvS or Man Of Steel (still highly enjoy both, Suicide Squad is still meh to me). Still not better than Logan this year to me though.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Even though I liked Doctor Strange when it came out, I've felt no urge to rewatch it.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

The Bye Bye Man aka My Soul To Take Too

One big pile of meh. The fact I felt it was a ripoff of one of the late, great Wes Craven's worst flicks, and practically did everything worse than that one, damn. The ideas in both flicks can work but they play them out so ugh worthy.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Reign in Blood wrote:The Bye Bye Man aka My Soul To Take Too

One big pile of meh. The fact I felt it was a ripoff of one of the late, great Wes Craven's worst flicks, and practically did everything worse than that one, damn. The ideas in both flicks can work but they play them out so ugh worthy.
That movie made my head hurt because it was so bad. All the decisions and lack of character development on the bye bye man was horrendous. What did trains have to do with him and why was there a shot of naked asses standing on the track? How did the house catch on fire at the end? What exactly is terrify about the bye bye man when he finally is in front of you? Nothing, he just touches your forehead with his index finger and leaves. Also, don't get me started on that horrible CGI resident evil looking dog.

Epitome of something so bad, it sorta becomes good by default for how bad it is.
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

A Dog's Purpose

I KNEW this would be a rough one but it turned out to be such a good movie. Especially for anyone who has loved and lost a pet. It leaves you with such a good message.
DAEBO
Charter Member

Post by DAEBO »

Jigsaw wrote:Krampus (2015)

I didn't have a whole let of expectations going into this one, despite having seen the trailer a few times, and overall, that may have been a positive thing. I'm sure most of you know the story, so I won't really get into the plot, but jump straight into the good and the bad. Krampus does many things right – the atmosphere is appropriately bleak and frigid, with multiple well-done scenes depicting the cold Hell this extended family has found themselves in. Most of the comedic elements are decent, and I've no complaints about the acting of any of the characters, which is of course another plus. The flashback, as narrated by the grandmother, was done in a rather enjoyable animation, and thoroughly enjoyable to witness. The Krampus' design was pretty solid. Even most of the ending worked for me. Of course, few movies are totally without flaws. At times, the amount of dangerous creatures got a bit much (a teddy bear, gingerbread cookies, an evil angle, a Jack-in-the-Box, and a toy robot, for instance), and while I've no complain about most of these, I thought the gingerbread men were a bit ridiculous. Toward the end, when the pit to Hell (presumably) opened, I was finding it more difficult to care than I'd hope for (if only because I expected some twist to come up, rendering the whole thing moot). And while the ending scene itself was actually pretty cool (the snow globe workshop was indeed fun), the last split second was a jump scare, with a bunch of evil toys coming at the screen. I abhor endings that try to scare the audience (not a character in the movie, but the audience) in the last split second. It's over-done, and ruins any chance that the movie could be spectacular. All-in-all, Krampus is a good slice of Christmas horror. Plenty of the actors and actresses stand out (notably Emjay Anthony, Adam Scott, Stefania LaVie Owen, and Conchata Ferrell), and while not the best Christmas horror film out there (Santa's Slay, anyone?), it was certainly worth a watch. 8/10.
I blind bought it last Christmas and thought pretty much the same thing. Also, I was surprised it was such a high budget/quality movie, When I had heard of it I expected a low budget B movie.
DAEBO
Charter Member

Post by DAEBO »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Yep, highly enjoyed Wonder Woman, and I would definitely say it's the best movie of the DCEU so far, though I am still no hater on BvS or Man Of Steel (still highly enjoy both, Suicide Squad is still meh to me). Still not better than Logan this year to me though.
I really liked it too. Especially since I kept getting Captain America flashbacks :P.

I saw an 10:45 showing last night and didn't get out of the theater til 1:30 in the morning, I was drowsy. We did poke fun that no matter how much fire, debris, rubble, etc fell on her, she always looked clean and freshly showered. Now that's a superpower!
DAEBO
Charter Member

Post by DAEBO »

Ava wrote:A Dog's Purpose

I KNEW this would be a rough one but it turned out to be such a good movie. Especially for anyone who has loved and lost a pet. It leaves you with such a good message.
An old lady keeps telling me to watch that at work. If I ever need to force myself to have an emotional breakdown, I'll keep it in mind. I'm just not a super huge fan of crying. Who knows? Maybe you can get backed up from not crying (Cry-tipated?) Might give it a go.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

DAEBO wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Yep, highly enjoyed Wonder Woman, and I would definitely say it's the best movie of the DCEU so far, though I am still no hater on BvS or Man Of Steel (still highly enjoy both, Suicide Squad is still meh to me). Still not better than Logan this year to me though.
I really liked it too. Especially since I kept getting Captain America flashbacks :P.

I saw an 10:45 showing last night and didn't get out of the theater til 1:30 in the morning, I was drowsy. We did poke fun that no matter how much fire, debris, rubble, etc fell on her, she always looked clean and freshly showered. Now that's a superpower!
if I had to nitpick, it would be the CGI department just not doing a good enough job. Only mildly distracting, mostly early on with the Amazons training and in spite of there being a depth of field they were all the same resolution instead of the ones further back needing to be at least a little blurry like the green screen background they were placed in.

But again, that's nitpicking lol
DAEBO
Charter Member

Post by DAEBO »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
DAEBO wrote:

if I had to nitpick, it would be the CGI department just not doing a good enough job. Only mildly distracting, mostly early on with the Amazons training and in spite of there being a depth of field they were all the same resolution instead of the ones further back needing to be at least a little blurry like the green screen background they were placed in.

But again, that's nitpicking lol
True.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Fist Fight ............... B

Funny comedy, where I felt like it easily could've been made in the 80's (picture Rick Moranis or Martin Short in Day's role). I'm guessing critics hated it because of the commentary that kids are shitheads these days and need better examples, I don't know. It was an enjoyable comedy. Slightly predictable in spots, but it wasn't trying to be groundbreaking either. Good chemistry with Day and Ice Cube, wouldn't mind seeing them in other things.

Split ................. A-

Monster comeback for M. Night. James McAvoy is pretty damn incredible in his...ugh 8 roles (on screen). We do have a typical M. Night coincidence come up in the climax, but I think this works better than most of his because of how double-edged/dark it is. ***SPOILERS*** the fact that she's a molestation victim with scars saved her from being killed, what a shitty thing to wind up living with, but I like that it isn't wrapped up pretty for her ****END SPOILERS. Nice ending, much better than the originally filmed now "alternate" ending. Can't spoil it, though I'm sure through cultural osmosis it's already been spoiled.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote:The Bye Bye Man aka My Soul To Take Too

Glad I avoided, I guess. My Soul to Take was utter trash.