Leatherface needs some love here

The film which you are about to see is an account of the tragedy which befell a group of five youths.
They could not have expected, nor would they have wished to see as much of the mad and macabre
As they were to see that day. For them, an idyllic Summer afternoon drive became a nightmare.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Leatherface needs some love here

Post by zombie »

also, funhouse plays on this dynamic as well. how many of the other tobe hooper movies had those themes?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
Leatherface is the heavy. He is also portrayed as one who can be emotionally influenced towards doing good. He is a romantic. The others are rotten to the core. The best Chainsaw movies are ones where others drive the plot. The first two are about Drayton's family and outsiders being immersed into a fish out of water story. When they start to make it all about Leatherface, it enters cliche slasher territory.
first, your favorite type of horror is slashers, no? :P second, yeah. i'd like the focus to be on the family, including leatherface. i said that in the post that started this convo.

the "romantic" thing only came in with pt. 2 (and maybe played a part in the other sequels too) and yeah, the others aren't manipulated. they're just kind of inept. (except for choptop) :P without leatherface, it wouldn't really be a horror movie in my mind. or it would be very different, at least.
I meant romantic as a character trait, not literal romance. The character trait does make him apt for romance, which is why he is susceptible to manipulation by both his family and the protagonist, in contrast to Drayton, Nubbins, Chop Top, Alfredo, Tex, Etc.
yeah, i didn't mean romance either. there was no literal romance, from the movies i've seen. he's susceptible to emotional manipulation. but i think he does enjoy killing all the same. one could argue that that makes him a more interesting character than some of the more one note "evil personification" characters around him. :P
Lady Gaga is also an interesting character, but I prefer the others. It is not that I hate Leatherface, I hate that a great franchise has been boiled down to a version of him. They have now made 5 TCM movies since the last one worth a damn, while the better idea, "All American Massacre", languished on a shelf.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i didn't know there was actually another movie with choptop. that's pretty cool. hopefully someday they'll release it.