Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
Headhunter
Charter Member

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Headhunter »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith .......... B+

Does such a good job with the last 2/3's, almost A- level, but that silly "noooooooo!" bumps it back down :P
Best story and action scenes of any film in the series up to that point but Lucas' writing was so beyond the pale at that point.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Headhunter wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith .......... B+

Does such a good job with the last 2/3's, almost A- level, but that silly "noooooooo!" bumps it back down :P
Best story and action scenes of any film in the series up to that point but Lucas' writing was so beyond the pale at that point.
He was his own worst enemy
horrorfan

Post by horrorfan »

Watched Knock Knock about a week ago,not a bad film. Keanu did a great job as usual. I would say this film is a solid B
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

horrorfan wrote:Watched Knock Knock about a week ago,not a bad film. Keanu did a great job as usual. I would say this film is a solid B
You just reminded me I still need to see that one. :P
horrorfan

Post by horrorfan »

Ava wrote:
horrorfan wrote:Watched Knock Knock about a week ago,not a bad film. Keanu did a great job as usual. I would say this film is a solid B
You just reminded me I still need to see that one. :P
It is definitely worth the watch and it takes place in Hollywood Hills which is not that far from me.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Getting ready for the holiday show this week, I watched Better Watch Out and Red Christmas so far.

Red Christmas was a very interesting and sort of depressing film, the subject matter might throw a lot of people off, since it deals with abortions and even though it was a standard slasher I thought it pulled off everything while still being rather different.

Better Watch Out was ok, but I really wouldn't recommend it. The Christmas aspect was just a backdrop to an uninteresting story. It changes plots very early in the film. Which isn't a bad thing, just wasn't the turn one would expect it to take. Instead of a Home Alone type house invasion with "Real" traps it goes the American Psycho route.
Lunachic
Charter Member

Post by Lunachic »

Rogue One .. really really liked it
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Daddy’s Home 2

Man was this my type of film. Lots of funny scenes, great physical comedy, good timing, and a fairly heartwarming message about fatherhood. John Cena is surprisingly good in it, and Mel and Lithgow tear it up. Brilliant fun. Would watch again.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle .............. B

Harmless silly dumb fun, and wasn't pretending to be anything more. It knew what it was. Cast had great chemistry. Karen Gillan is now in my top 5 hotties.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle .............. B

Harmless silly dumb fun, and wasn't pretending to be anything more. It knew what it was. Cast had great chemistry. Karen Gillan is now in my top 5 hotties.
I about fainted watching the trailer because of her. Wow.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

It Comes At Night .............. C+

It does a good job with the performances, and the atmosphere, but there's not enough there to support a full length movie. Far too dragged out, and when it ends, it ends with a shrug (not literally, but that could've been amusing).
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

The Dark Tower ................. D+

Mathew McConaughey is the only decent thing in this, and even he is a wasted opportunity. Idris looked and sounded unbelievably bored throughout.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

The Shape Of Water ........... A+

Excellent dark fairytale that I was surprised to find I enjoyed even more than Pan's Labyrinth.

Trying to squeeze in more 2017 movies so I can compile my Top 2017 movies list. Several have been left off due to timing.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Day Of The Dead: Bloodline

This film has no reason being called Day of the Dead. They take everything great about Day and just piss on it. They turn Bub (Now named Max) into a sexual perverted creeper, the guy who I assume would be Rhodes is just some lame asshole and the rest of the movie is just boring and uninspired. The story just revolves around finding a vaccine based on the Bub (Max) character and little to do with anybody else. Just stalker zombie and his potential rape victim. There are some ok gore shots, but nothing that can compare to Romero's. Plus, a lot of CGI gun shot blood and spray usage that get's way overused. The zombie attack on the bunker was even lackluster.

Don't even bother with it.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Bummer. I had it on my Amazon watchlist to checkout, and looked like it could be better than the other attempt at a remake.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

bummer indeed. i wanted a good remake trilogy. :P
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Man. No luck with films this weekend. Watched Coco and 3 Billboards, wish I’d known the plot more. Sad times. Both great films but not for me.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Watched Shape of Water again, friend's choice since he hadn't seen it, but since it's so good I had no problem rewatching :P
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Phantom Thread

Feels weird to see DDL with a relatively normal accent for him. But as always he brings great humanity to the role in a weird way. But also the usual neurotic attention to detail that you’re expecting from him. I genuinely assumed he knew how to make dresses. His Oscar nod is deserved. But having seen Darkest Hour I do think that Oldman deserves the nod. Fantastic Churchill. The big robbery is Vicky Krieps who deserves a nod. Amazing deep and layered performance. As a film I can’t quite figure out where I stand. There’s a tormenting dichotomy that the ending just decides we can pass by. But otherwise it was quite riveting. Hard to take my eyes off it. Very funky film. Will recommend to the artsy cinemaphiles among us. But maybe not one for a casual view.
pixie
Charter Member

Post by pixie »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:The Shape Of Water ........... A+

Excellent dark fairytale that I was surprised to find I enjoyed even more than Pan's Labyrinth.

Trying to squeeze in more 2017 movies so I can compile my Top 2017 movies list. Several have been left off due to timing.

LOVED this!!!... Not sure if I loved it more than Pan's Labyrinth but def comparable. The sound track was amazing .. was totally in a dreamy state the whole time. A+ indeed.