Authoritarianism

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
zombie
Administrator

Authoritarianism

Post by zombie »

boo to telling people what to believe, or how to show their beliefs. etc. i felt like i had to say it! :P
Foo
Administrator

Re: Authoritarianism

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:boo to telling people what to believe, or how to show their beliefs. etc. i felt like i had to say it! :P
I too am glad Trump stands up for religious freedom. Making a jewish baker make cakes for Nazis was a terrible idea Democrats supported.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

nice try to trip me up. but we're in agreement in that businesses have the right to not serve someone because of their beliefs. neither was that meant as a jab at trump. but good try to twist it around that way too.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:nice try to trip me up. but we're in agreement in that businesses have the right to not serve someone because of their beliefs. neither was that meant as a jab at trump. but good try to twist it around that way too.
The most authoritarian act you and I have seen in our lifetime by politicians was the passage of ObamaCare. Literally mandating you must purchase a product or face punishment.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:boo to telling people what to believe, or how to show their beliefs. etc. i felt like i had to say it! :P
This feels very vague.

Also the most authoritarian thing in your lifetime is surely the PATTIOT act nonsense allowing all kinds of surveillance on private citizens.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i wanted it to be vague, cause i didn't want to get caught up in a big argument. and maybe authoritarian isn't the right term but it feels like it.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I figured as much. Trump the tinpot despot demagogue is firmly trying to be authoritarian.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

showa58taro wrote:I figured as much. Trump the tinpot despot demagogue is firmly trying to be authoritarian.
How?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:I figured as much. Trump the tinpot despot demagogue is firmly trying to be authoritarian.
How?
Discrediting free press and freedom of expression, devaluing checks on his authority, undermining legitimate legal scrutiny, taking government money and transferring it to his wealthy cronies, installing his family and friends into positions of power, subverting the courts and acting unilaterally when it suits him.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

showa58taro wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
How?
Discrediting free press and freedom of expression, devaluing checks on his authority, undermining legitimate legal scrutiny, taking government money and transferring it to his wealthy cronies, installing his family and friends into positions of power, subverting the courts and acting unilaterally when it suits him.
Dont really agree with most of that but thats just from my perspective.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Unrelated but my 401k is booming so much that today I upped my contribution and I won't see much of a difference from my pay because with the tax break it just about evens out. That's something Tigg can get with.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:nice try to trip me up. but we're in agreement in that businesses have the right to not serve someone because of their beliefs. neither was that meant as a jab at trump. but good try to twist it around that way too.
The most authoritarian act you and I have seen in our lifetime by politicians was the passage of ObamaCare. Literally mandating you must purchase a product or face punishment.
i don't like obama. and you're the one trying to make this about one party or the other. i didn't start the topic because of anything about trump. so you can stop now. :P
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I understood from the get what zombs ment he wants to make his own choices without hearing a bunch of shit about it. I feel the same way. Freedom baby dig it