The Dark Tower

Discussion of all non-horror films. Oscar-nominees, Razzie-winners, we won't judge.
Forum rules
Want people to like you? Try being nice.
Monster
Charter Member

The Dark Tower

Post by Monster »

Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Re: The Dark Tower

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

The Dark Tower series is what got me into reading. I've read the series at least a dozen times. When I heard they were making a movie, I was excited, but doubtful they could pull it off. The more I heard about it, the less I liked it. But then I found out it's a continuation of the books, not just an adaptation. So all the changes they were making started to make sense. But no Eddie or Susannah sucks, fuck McConaughey as the Man in Black, and fuck off with that anime-load-the-gun-with-bullets-thrown-in-the-air bullshit!
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:The Dark Tower series is what got me into reading. I've read the series at least a dozen times. When I heard they were making a movie, I was excited, but doubtful they could pull it off. The more I heard about it, the less I liked it. But then I found out it's a continuation of the books, not just an adaptation. So all the changes they were making started to make sense. But no Eddie or Susannah sucks, fuck McConaughey as the Man in Black, and fuck off with that anime-load-the-gun-with-bullets-thrown-in-the-air bullshit!
That's the part that holds my interest :P
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I will watch. It read the books though.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

showa58taro wrote:I will watch. It read the books though.
Didn't know Pennywise was a reader, let alone this series. Very meta.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote:
showa58taro wrote:I will watch. It read the books though.
Didn't know Pennywise was a reader, let alone this series. Very meta.
Well, there's a creature of the same type as Pennywise in the last Dark Tower book.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

So this sucked. If you liked the books you'll hate the film. If you never read the books, you'll be bored and probably confused. An all around failure of a film.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:So this sucked. If you liked the books you'll hate the film. If you never read the books, you'll be bored and probably confused. An all around failure of a film.
Damnit!
Lunachic
Charter Member

Post by Lunachic »

Just awful
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Well it was certainly messy, but it intrigued me enough to add the series to my Amazon cart to see what the real deal that I've heard such good things is about. Then I woke up today and came to my senses that I will never make it through the fucking thing, so wikipedia plot sysnopsis it is!
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote:Well it was certainly messy, but it intrigued me enough to add the series to my Amazon cart to see what the real deal that I've heard such good things is about. Then I woke up today and came to my senses that I will never make it through the fucking thing, so wikipedia plot sysnopsis it is!
I still haven't made it past book 3.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Ceri read the whole thing, said the ending ruins it all, so I'm not going to bother. :D
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

showa58taro wrote:Ceri read the whole thing, said the ending ruins it all, so I'm not going to bother. :D
I assume she meant the final confrontation between Roland and the Crimson King. That was shit, no doubt. The actual ending of the last book is great and fits perfectly with the theme of the series.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Ceri read the whole thing, said the ending ruins it all, so I'm not going to bother. :D
I assume she meant the final confrontation between Roland and the Crimson King. That was shit, no doubt. The actual ending of the last book is great and fits perfectly with the theme of the series.
Probably. I never queried much as I haven’t read it.
Bix

Post by Bix »

From somebody who loved the DT series; I just can't seem to bring myself to watch this. I'm evoking a Bix rule of life on this one... like when you sneak out for a smoke at work when it's not break time. If nobody saw it - did it really happen?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Oh it happened. And it was crap. Not even fun crap. Just crap.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I have never touched the books, and I thought it was crap. So if it’s a crap film AND it ruins the source material, it’s not worth it.
Bix

Post by Bix »

Yeah, I think i'll continue to consciously avoid this train wreck.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

showa58taro wrote:I have never touched the books, and I thought it was crap. So if it’s a crap film AND it ruins the source material, it’s not worth it.
Yep. A friend asked if it was like at least a good movie in spite of being a terrible adaption, like Batman Returns, and I was like "fuuuuuck no."

Another friend asked which I was disappointed with more, The Dark Tower or Sucker Punch. At first I replied "About the same." Then I added "but you could at least edit Sucker Punch down to a kick ass 30 minute movie." This friend was stunned because we both saw Sucker Punch when it came out and we both hated and rage-ate after watching it, lol.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
showa58taro wrote:I have never touched the books, and I thought it was crap. So if it’s a crap film AND it ruins the source material, it’s not worth it.
Yep. A friend asked if it was like at least a good movie in spite of being a terrible adaption, like Batman Returns, and I was like "fuuuuuck no."

Another friend asked which I was disappointed with more, The Dark Tower or Sucker Punch. At first I replied "About the same." Then I added "but you could at least edit Sucker Punch down to a kick ass 30 minute movie." This friend was stunned because we both saw Sucker Punch when it came out and we both hated and rage-ate after watching it, lol.
They didn't just shit on the source material, they used it as a fucking tampon, squeezed out the drippings, shit on that, then force-fed it to some mentally challenged fucker that eventually wrote the script. It was almost incomprehensible to me, and I've read the books about a dozen times, so I can't imagine what someone who's never read them would get out of it.