Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Jigsaw »

Jmac Attack wrote:Great reviews, as always! Bunty Bailey was the chick in the Take on Me video, and she married the singer. You probably knew that.
I actually had no idea. Have to go watch the video, now. :lol:
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Veronica = Meh
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Did you really expect anything better from Mehflix? :p
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri (A+) What can I say except its a really really fantastic movie and the acting is top to bottom incredible.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Three Billboards is the best movie I’ve seen in a long time, the ending was a slight letdown though. But the first hour and a half are basically perfect.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Night Howl (2017)

Night Howl is Michael Taylor Pritt's fourth full-length film, and first werewolf flick. This Kentucky-based director/actor has been, for not all that long, a favorite of mine when it comes to low-budget horror. Night Howl shows great improvement over his last movie (the disappointing Are We the Waiting), and is perhaps the best movie he's done thus far.

Pritt's films are fun, in part, because he almost always uses the same faces again and again. Night Howl's no different, with no less than six recurring actors from his other three films (one, of course, being himself). That said, some of the strongest acting comes from a new face.

With Night Howl being her first credit on IMDb, Alana Mullins really stole the show, her lines well-done and more so, came across as a really fun person. I certainly hope that this isn't just a one-off, and she decides to get behind the camera more. She worked damn well with Michael Taylor Pritt, and was overall a fun presences on screen.

As for Pritt, his acting is just as it's always been. Which I certainly don't mean negatively - Pritt's low-key style, in my opinion, is rather amusing, and his wry humor that pops up here and again is always good fun. The only other actor who really stood out was Andrew Potter, who's one downside was not enough background for his character. Which isn't to say that all the cast members didn't put their heart into this one. I adored Pat Roberts, playing a moderately foul-mouthed older woman. She also needed more screen time, alas.

The story itself wasn't overly unique, but I do certainly like the approach they took. I thought it worked out well, and more surprisingly, perhaps, there was some real feeling toward the end (partially helped by a low-key but enjoyable score). The ending, in many ways, depressed the hell out of me, which goes to show you don't need a high budget for feels.

The main downside of the film is the lack of inventive, or even interesting, kills. I guess there's not much you can do with a werewolf to begin with, but I certainly felt as though these kills were more repetitive than those of Pritt's past movies. Hell, Are the the Waiting's strongest suit, in my view, were the kills. Still, a good story with solid acting is more important than great gore, but it would have been nice to have something more in this department.

When all's said and done, though, Night Howl was a well done flick on a low budget. The gag reels thrown in the end were amusing, and I just loved Mullins' character. I've seen all four of Pritt's movies thus far, and this is up there with Miles Before Sleep (his second outing). Hard to say which I liked more, as both had very strong points, but Night Howl was a strong film that I'd recommend to fans of lower-budget flicks. 7.5/10.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I, Tonya.

Was not expecting this to be a full blown comedy. :p

Solid flick for sure, great telling of the incident and funnier than nearly all comedies today. Still a stupid fuckin title, though.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Bunch of movies I've seen in the last week and a half. Bolded title indicates it's a first-time viewing:

The Howling (1981)

I saw this movie once many years ago, and I didn't care for it then. Upon rewatching it, my views haven't really altered all that much.

The Howling has more than a few positive qualities. Plenty of the actors and actresses are either good or fun, the special effects are very well done, there are some tense scenes, and the setting itself (forest retreat) is pretty decent.

Dee Wallace did a very good job, especially near the beginning, of a woman suffering from the aftermath of a violent attack. I didn't really care for where the story took her, but still, she did a solid job. Patrick Macnee stood out also, as did Belinda Balaski, who, along with being a rather attractive woman, was one of the few characters really trying to figure out what was going on. And need I mention Dick Miller? His appearances are always fun, and this one was no different.

The special effects certainly were top-notch, with good werewolf transformations and severed arms. Really, if there's one reason to watch this film, it's probably for what they were able to do as far as the effects went, as even by today's stands, they're impressive.

The problem is, though, despite the positives (the Colony, in concept, was cool, for instance), this movie just didn't jibe well with me. I'm not sure what it is – it has elements I rather like throughout the film, but it just didn't work for me.

Often hailed as a werewolf classic (which, let's be honest, isn't that much an accomplishment), The Howling didn't do much for me. It had a memorable ending, memorable transformations, memorable actors. But the movie just falls flat, despite all that, and end up well below average. 5.5/10.

Cannibal Feast (2011)

This movie is thoroughly unenjoyable, which leads me to believe another cannibal film from this director, titled Long Pig (2008), is much in the same vein.

First things first, none of the characters stand out from each other. Every other girl looks the same, and so when one is killed and captured, you have no idea who exactly it was. Worse, you aren't given a clear picture of the relationship between the characters. I think there were two girls who were supposed to be sisters, but I'll be damned if I can tell you who they were. And related, there's only two names I remember from the movie, and I just finished it ten minutes ago.

Also, this is a dark and dingy film. While likely intentional, the way the film was shot really hindered from both potential enjoyment and potential comprehension. There's one scene with a girl being tortured, while scenes of two girls getting dressed in Halloween costumes are spliced in. I thought that was a flashback, showcasing the tortured girls' memories of a sister/friend she'll never see again, but no, those two getting dressed appear later in the movie. I think. Honestly, it's not clear, and as the movie was atrocious, I don't really care.

Religious ramblings, cannibals, unanswered questions as to who is actually behind the group who goes out to kill "sinners and hippies," this movie is a mess. No amount of nudity can fix this (though, in all fairness, there were some occasionally rather attractive women), and the almost plot-less murder and torture and rape with featureless characters was just awful. In all honesty, I only watched this because there were less than five votes for it on IMDb. I regret that choice, as there's virtually nothing to recommend here. 2/10.

The Strangers (2008)

Let me get this off my chest first: this movie is not "based on true events." It's inspired by an utterly unrelated crime. When a movie tries to pass itself off as real to increase the suspense, or whatever the hell they think they think is does, it just pisses me off. It didn't work with The Blair Witch Project, and it sure as hell doesn't work here. It adds nothing to the movie, and in fact, takes away from what otherwise is an okay (though below average) flick.

Home invasion flicks have never been a favorite of mine. I love slashers, but most home invasion flicks do nothing for me (save some expectations, such as 2016's Hush), mainly because they're often so repetitive. Which isn't to say there aren't some quite suspenseful scenes and creepy imagery in the movie - there are. But when that's all your movie has to boast about, it doesn't amount to much.

Liv Tyler did a good job as the main female victim, and the masked guy had a cool mask. Also, one of the songs in the movie, "Mama Tried" by Merle Haggard, was pretty catchy. Still have that chorus stuck in my head. And as aforementioned, there were some creepy scenes now and again.

But what I always took as the "wham" line, their explanation as to why they're causing such pain to this couple, doesn't really do it for me. I don't have a big problem with it - it just falls flat. It falls flatter still because even after that, we don't see their unmasked faces, which doesn't make much since, story-wise. Again, it adds nothing.

The Strangers isn't necessarily a bad movie, but really, when there are literally hundreds of better movies from 2005 - 2010 alone, there's not much point in seeking this one out. Just a below average flick with little going for it. 5.5/10.

The Tripper (2006)

As a critique on both the Reagan and, at the time, present Bush administration, The Tripper rather falls flat. As a slasher, with occasional splatter influences, the film fares a bit better, but not amazingly so.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what about this movie doesn't entirely work. Part of it, in my opinion, is the somewhat inconsistent tone. At times, the movie is certainly tongue-in-cheek (though few scenes are outright comedic; this isn't Broken Lizard's Club Dread, people), but other times, the Tripper comes across a serious slasher, and hell, even between the characters Samantha and Ivan, there was a pretty sweet scene present.

What this movie somewhat lacks in tone, though, it makes up for in most kills. The first few kills are quick, clean, and efficient (a snapped neck and a decapitation) - these were perhaps my favorites. But some individuals get killed by multiple stabbings, or disembowelment, so there's fun to be had all around. The final kill in the movie didn't do much for it, as the special effects looked a bit worse for the wear. That could be said for more than a few kills, though, as it wasn't uncommon for the blood to look more than a little brighter red than it should. Still, the kills overall were strong.

In the political realm, I certainly would have preferred more discussion of the character's feelings on then-current president George W. Bush, as you would think a movie that hits you over the head with the idea that "Republicans are bad" would have a little more substance, but aside from some weak criticism of Bush and just stating some facts about Reagan's actions while president (cutting off federal funds to mental institutions), we get little to really chew over. Perhaps that's not the point, but when one is making a political satire, of sorts, I feel like no punches should be pulled. This movie could have had something to say, but didn't attempt it.

None of the characters aside from Samantha (Jaime King) and the killer really stood out. The design of the killer was pretty cool - loved his straight-laced appearance and suit (even though the mask was ehh). Really, while the movie might be okay for a single watch, having watched it twice now, I don't think there's much to go back to it for. Not a particularly memorable movie. I'd never watch this one if I had the chance to re-watch Uncle Sam (1997). 6.5/10.

Der Student von Prag (1913)

One of the earliest full-length horror movies ever made (despite also being a self-described "romantic drama"), Der Student von Prag (The Student of Prague) is a true piece of horror and cinema history, and while that doesn't mean that the film is utterly amazing, this movie still has a lot of charm, and is worth seeing.

While certainly tame by today's standards, the story is still pretty fun, and occasionally even creepy. Making a deal with the devil-morality tales have never been high on my enjoyment list, but this movie makes it work out pretty well, despite the age of the film.

Certainly, drawbacks are present - while we do get some good action toward the third and fourth acts, the first two are muddled with, well, romantic drama sequences. It is worth noting, though, that despite this, even at an hour and 22 minutes, generally speaking, Der Student von Prag doesn't feel as though it drags at any point. Sure, these melodramatic scenes are a bit much, but you're still invested enough in the characters so that it doesn't really come across a burden.

There are also some scenes that don't feel believable (for instance, the ease in which multiple people can break into the mansion of a Count strikes me as a security threat), but it's a small thing. Believe it or not, though, there are a few creepy scenes, especially one toward the end when the main character, Balduin, realizes he has no reflection. That was well-shot, as was the downbeat ending (though, without a doubt, you can see it coming from a mile away).

Three actors stand out above the others, being Paul Wegener (Balduin), John Gottowt (Scapinelli), and Lyda Salmonova (Lyduschka). Wegener gives an incredibly expressive performance throughout, and sure, it's occasionally over the top, but what else would you expect from a silent movie? Gottowt does a damn fine job playing the sinister Scapinelli, and has an engaging screen presence. While Salmonova doesn't have much to do in the last few acts, she's fun throughout her appearances early on.

Germany was, as far as I'm concerned, the undisputed king of horror from the release of this film (1913) to around the mid-1920's, and while this certainly isn't Germany's most memorable silent horror flick, or their most enjoyable (plenty of others come to mind), having watched this three times now, I can say that it does stand the test of time despite it's flaws. 7.5/10.

The Lights (2009)

There's basically only two reasons, as far as I can tell, to really seek this movie out. One, if you're a slasher fan, and two, to see if Oscar Lusth can act (the answer is not really).

Who? Well, many years back, I was a fan of the reality show Survivor, and Oscar, or Ozzy, has been a repeat contender, well-known for his strong athletic ability, outstripping almost every peer. In fact, since he first appeared on Survivor back in 2006, I'm surprised this DVD copy I have doesn't milk the fact that they have Ozzy in the movie.

As it is, while it's nice seeing a familiar (and unexpected) face, the novelty doesn't really take long to wear off. That said, his character, Steve, is a decently fun guy. Other actors worth mentioning include the killer Kerry Wallum (not great acting, but a somewhat charming personality) and Joe Estevez (who has had well over two hundred roles). On the flipside, Elizabeth Jauregui had some of the worst delivery I've seen in a while. Part of the fault might lie with the script-writer (seriously, she was expected to tell a serial killer that the law says he shouldn't kill her with a straight face?), but bad script aside, she was pretty weak.

None of the kills in the flick are excellent. Some quick-paced hammer attacks are nice, and an individual gets his arm chopped off in what's probably my favorite scene, but overall, nothing really comes across as that memorable (including a dismemberment). And that final kill just didn't look good.

There's not really much to this movie, when all's said and done. Some funny lines, some hammy acting, and sure, seeing half naked women is never bad, but the meandering start to the film, along with unspectacular kills, really don't make this film one that stands out. I saw this last October, and for all the good a re-watch has done, I'd have been better served watching a plethora of other flicks. Not terrible, but below average. 6/10.

The Toxic Slime Creature (1982)

This movie came out of nowhere, and I'm guessing it must have been added to IMDb sometime with in last six to eight months - had it been there any longer, I would have ran into it.

Straight to video (that much, the quality can attest to), The Toxic Slime Creature is such an obscurity I've thus far not found much information on it. A few sources call it an "extremely rare Vidimax release," and that certainly seems plausible. The origins of this movie aside, let's see how it actually is.

Made up of a limited cast (all of whom, at this point in time, have no additional credits on IMDb), this movie keeps things simple and to the point, going as far as only giving us brief, one-second glances of the titular slime creature at a time, which, given the special effects, is probably only a positive.

The only actor who really stood out was Charles Ward, whose character is one of the few who manages to keep calm throughout. Some of the dialogue is laughable ("How can it not have legs? What doesn't have legs" being rebuffed by two suggestions, that of a snake and fish), but not as much as you might think going in.

With a run-time of just an hour (more like 57 minutes, truth be told), being holed up in an office most of the time and occasionally trying to fight the creature doesn't make for an enthralling film, but even a banana held more dread than the climatic fight at the conclusion. There's not that much to this movie, and it's probably not worth seeing, but hell, it did possess some charm. At the very least, the title's amusing. 6/10.
Last edited by Jigsaw on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

The fact that the chunk of crap Night Howl got a better rating than The Howling is a federal offense :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:The fact that the chunk of crap Night Howl got a better rating than The Howling is a federal offense :P
The fact that a movie with as low a budget as Night Howl was better than a movie with the budget of The Howling is the true offense. :D
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jigsaw wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:The fact that the chunk of crap Night Howl got a better rating than The Howling is a federal offense :P
The fact that a movie with as low a budget as Night Howl was better than a movie with the budget of The Howling is the true offense. :D
Now you're just talking ass backwards, lol.

The only true competition for the top spot of werewolf movies is An American Werewolf In London.

Night Howl competes with Howling: New Moon Rising for worst. Okay okay, it's not as bad as New Moon Rising. Or that shitty werewolf movie I can't remember the name of I saw during the last challenge that I actually think could be worse than New Moon Rising. :lol:

But you are you ;)
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:
Now you're just talking ass backwards, lol.

The only true competition for the top spot of werewolf movies is An American Werewolf In London.

Night Howl competes with Howling: New Moon Rising for worst. Okay okay, it's not as bad as New Moon Rising. Or that shitty werewolf movie I can't remember the name of I saw during the last challenge that I actually think could be worse than New Moon Rising. :lol:

But you are you ;)
An American Werewolf is also above average, I'll give you that. Probably on par with Night Howl. :D

Glad my views on flicks at least keep you amused, though.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

They do keep me amused, lol.

With your mindboggling rankings, what on earth could be your favorite werewolf movie?
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:They do keep me amused, lol.

With your mindboggling rankings, what on earth could be your favorite werewolf movie?
That's an interesting question.

Off the top of my head, I'm not really sure. The werewolf genre is one that, unfortunately, doesn't have a plethora of great movies.

An American Werewolf in London is always good fun. I always liked Bad Moon (1996), though I get that's more a personal preference. I'd honestly have to look over to see which ones I've seen that stand out.

Werewolf movies are probably overall better than the average vampire movie, but still sadly a weak subgenre.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

the howling is not only a werewolf classic, but a horror classic. and the strangers is awesome. i dare you to actually name 100 better horror movies from 2005-10? :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:the howling is not only a werewolf classic, but a horror classic. and the strangers is awesome. i dare you to actually name 100 better horror movies from 2005-10? :P
That will take some time, but I will be happy to. :o :lol:
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:

Off the top of my head, I'm not really sure. The werewolf genre is one that, unfortunately, doesn't have a plethora of great movies.

An American Werewolf in London is always good fun. I always liked Bad Moon (1996), though I get that's more a personal preference. I'd honestly have to look over to see which ones I've seen that stand out.

Werewolf movies are probably overall better than the average vampire movie, but still sadly a weak subgenre.
this is why you need to rewatch ginger snaps. it's the third of the holy werewolf movie trinity. :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jigsaw wrote:

At least Bad Moon's one of the good ones :D
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

this is why you need to rewatch ginger snaps. it's the third of the holy werewolf movie trinity. :P
I have something like 1,650 movies to rewatch. Ginger Snaps is likely a great, but not a high priority.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

the werewolf subgenre is weaker than others, because of numbers. not because there aren't greats to be had.