Cops attack victim of fiery crash

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Monster
Charter Member

Re: Cops attack victim of fiery crash

Post by Monster »

I understand these cops are running on adrenalin and emotion, as anyone would be. They see the worst of society on a daily basis and that has to affect them in a pretty profound way. I don't necessary think they're monsters when things like this happen. But these incidents just make the job for all cops that much more dangerous. My brother was a cop and when cases of police brutality gain national attention he'll still say that the people who hate it the most are the victims and good cops. The tension level goes way up, for the cops and the public, and bad shit happens as a result.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Dream wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:The fact remains that you don't care if cops make mistakes that affect innocent people. My argument has been that more deserving candidates who are better at their jobs should take the jobs of fuck ups like these guys. Why do you want a weaker and less effective police force? Lot of people would love to have the opportunities these guys threw away.
One mistake, which could be the only mistake ever for this force as far as we know, is not enough to ruin their lives and the lives of their families who rely on them for support. Sorry. All over weaksauce kicktaps that did zero damage. Cry more.

Does it matter what the one mistake is?

Would a cop who rapes a victim they thought was a perp get the same "one mistake" get out of jail free card?
Or a cop who causes brain damage by putting a victim in a chokehold because they thought the victim was the perp?
Or a cop who steals from a victim cause they thought they had the right guy?

or just a cop who kicks a guy they think is a criminal?

For that matter, would it bother you at all if a cop did any of those things to someone caught shoplifting or does the extent of the crime matter in regards to what they can get away with doing to an unconvicted suspect?

I see cops similar to teachers. They are in a position of authority over others and are held to a much higher standard. Teachers don't get one free fuck with a student before they are fired, cops don't get one free assault before they are fired.

The person who caused the crash should be charged with attempted murder of, not only the victim who got assaulted, but also of any bystanders near the crash. The cops should be charged with simple assault and lose their jobs. If they can't handle the task of arresting people without assaulting them when they aren't resisting, they don't deserve the job.

Also, I could see "honest mistake" if the cops had just cuffed the victim and taken him in as well, they crossed the line when they assaulted someone who wasn't resisting. About the only way I could see it being an "honest mistake" is if one of the cops had kicked the guy while trying to get to another victim quickly, that would be a mistake. When you make the choice to kick someone, you should be held accountable for it. In this case, they made a choice and they should have to answer to the consequences of that choice, just like anyone else would. When they fuck up like this it puts a target on their fellow officers heads because their fuck up will result in a large settlement with the victim, which only takes money away from the police department, which means jobs are at risk as are citizens in need of a strong police force. A cop who causes a settlement because of a *choice* they made should not get the chance to cause more financial turmoil to an already strapped police force further down the line. The only time a payout shouldn't cost a cop his or her job is when it's a genuine mistake that could not have been avoided, i.e. a civilian shot or killed during a hostage situation or shoot-out between cop and criminal (and a payout should be applicaple only if a bystander or citizen is shot or killed, not the criminals)

Personally, I think my tax money is better spent on competent cops that don't cause my taxes to rise to cover the stupid choices they make in the heat of the moment. You know, the ones that actually do the job they were hired to do, their families are the ones that should be looked after.
Cop raping victim is now being compared to this incident.

Bizarro world. Hard to take that post even remotely seriously after reading that. And of course they are held to a higher standard. The entire country needs them for protection. That doesn't mean punish harder for mistakes.

No harm was done at all to the victim. People need to stop pretending to be outraged at this.

Anyhoo. Welcome back! Did zomb recruit you to this thread? :p
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:And to be fair, it was refreshing for both of us to derail the argument and talk about something else after you tried like ten different arguments and nothing was hitting. You did us both a favor. :P

You really had to quickly throw together one last straw man as an "excuse" to leave the thread and take that L. Oh man. :lol:
If you want to pretend you won an argument to make yourself feel better, I won't get in your way.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Monster wrote:I understand these cops are running on adrenalin and emotion, as anyone would be. They see the worst of society on a daily basis and that has to affect them in a pretty profound way. I don't necessary think they're monsters when things like this happen. But these incidents just make the job for all cops that much more dangerous. My brother was a cop and when cases of police brutality gain national attention he'll still say that the people who hate it the most are the victims and good cops. The tension level goes way up, for the cops and the public, and bad shit happens as a result.
Absolutely.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

Jason wrote:
Dream wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:The fact remains that you don't care if cops make mistakes that affect innocent people. My argument has been that more deserving candidates who are better at their jobs should take the jobs of fuck ups like these guys. Why do you want a weaker and less effective police force? Lot of people would love to have the opportunities these guys threw away.
One mistake, which could be the only mistake ever for this force as far as we know, is not enough to ruin their lives and the lives of their families who rely on them for support. Sorry. All over weaksauce kicktaps that did zero damage. Cry more.

Would a cop who rapes a victim they thought was a perp get the same "one mistake" get out of jail free card?
Or a cop who causes brain damage by putting a victim in a chokehold because they thought the victim was the perp?

For that matter, would it bother you at all if a cop did any of those things to someone caught shoplifting or does the extent of the crime matter in regards to what they can get away with doing to an unconvicted suspect?

I see cops similar to teachers. They are in a position of authority over others and are held to a much higher standard. Teachers don't get one free fuck with a student before they are fired, cops don't get one free assault before they are fired.

The person who caused the crash should be charged with attempted murder of, not only the victim who got assaulted, but also of any bystanders near the crash. The cops should be charged with simple assault and lose their jobs. If they can't handle the task of arresting people without assaulting them when they aren't resisting, they don't deserve the job.

Also, I could see "honest mistake" if the cops had just cuffed the victim and taken him in as well, they crossed the line when they assaulted someone who wasn't resisting. About the only way I could see it being an "honest mistake" is if one of the cops had kicked the guy while trying to get to another victim quickly, that would be a mistake. When you make the choice to kick someone, you should be held accountable for it. In this case, they made a choice and they should have to answer to the consequences of that choice, just like anyone else would. When they fuck up like this it puts a target on their fellow officers heads because their fuck up will result in a large settlement with the victim, which only takes money away from the police department, which means jobs are at risk as are citizens in need of a strong police force. A cop who causes a settlement because of a *choice* they made should not get the chance to cause more financial turmoil to an already strapped police force further down the line. The only time a payout shouldn't cost a cop his or her job is when it's a genuine mistake that could not have been avoided, i.e. a civilian shot or killed during a hostage situation or shoot-out between cop and criminal (and a payout should be applicaple only if a bystander or citizen is shot or killed, not the criminals)

Personally, I think my tax money is better spent on competent cops that don't cause my taxes to rise to cover the stupid choices they make in the heat of the moment. You know, the ones that actually do the job they were hired to do, their families are the ones that should be looked after.

Bizarro world. Hard to take that post even remotely seriously after reading that. And of course they are held to a higher standard. The entire country needs them for protection. That doesn't mean punish harder for mistakes.

No harm was done at all to the victim. People need to stop pretending to be outraged at this.

that's what you took away from what I posted?

I was genuinely asking you where cops cross a line for you. Does it matter what they do, does it matter if they have the right person, and does it matter what the suspected crime is? I was offering examples, not comparisons to what happened here.

and saying no harm was done to the victim is bullshit. Dude was just in a horrific crash, caught on fire, put himself out, and then has people yelling orders at him, he follows them only to get kicked by those people.That's a pretty traumatizing string of events that no one should have happen to them. Right up until the point the cops decided to kick the guy, all of the events were on the criminal the cops were chasing, the moment they made a choice to vent their frustration through a kick to the person on the ground, it stopped being a mistake. They should have handcuffed him and put him in the back of the police car until they had the situation under control and could ID who was who. If they had done that, then their jobs would not be at risk at all and *that* would have been an honest mistake.

A mistake is arresting the wrong person, or causing harm while trying to tend to a victim, not kicking a suspect who isn't resisting, no matter how lightly they are kicked, it's still assault and I expect better of my police force. Once someone is complying with police orders, force looks bad on the entire department and causes grief for the actual good cops who don't take their frustrations out on their suspects.

Letting cops like this get away with assault, even if it's just a fucking slap to the face, is the reason so many people are giving other cops grief. Good cops that turn on bad cops get fired for it, why aren't we supporting those cops instead of the ones causing public hatred and animosity towards the entire profession? If we actually start saying "Fuck ups like this aren't going to just go away," ALL of our police force will be better taken care of. Less settlements means lower insurance rates, which means more pay available for cops, less public outcry over bad behavior not being punished means more cops are SAFER while on the job. When cops get away with shit like this but a good cop gets fired for not lying to cover another officer's ass when he breaks the law there is an issue. Good cops get killed because of actions like this and that alone is reason enough to fire cops like this at the first offense.

Support the cops that deserve it, not the ones whose actions put targets on the head of fellow officers because they can't control their own anger and actions, those cops are blowhard assholes who deserve to be fired for causing harm to the image of the profession as a whole, if nothing else.
I started an erotic writing podcast with a friend
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Dream wrote:
Jason wrote:
Dream wrote:
Jason wrote:

I was genuinely asking you where cops cross a line for you. Does it matter what they do, does it matter if they have the right person, and does it matter what the suspected crime is? I was offering examples, not comparisons to what happened here.

and saying no harm was done to the victim is bullshit. Dude was just in a horrific crash, caught on fire, put himself out, and then has people yelling orders at him, he follows them only to get kicked by those people.That's a pretty traumatizing string of events that no one should have happen to them. Right up until the point the cops decided to kick the guy, all of the events were on the criminal the cops were chasing, the moment they made a choice to vent their frustration through a kick to the person on the ground, it stopped being a mistake. They should have handcuffed him and put him in the back of the police car until they had the situation under control and could ID who was who. If they had done that, then their jobs would not be at risk at all and *that* would have been an honest mistake.

A mistake is arresting the wrong person, or causing harm while trying to tend to a victim, not kicking a suspect who isn't resisting, no matter how lightly they are kicked, it's still assault and I expect better of my police force. Once someone is complying with police orders, force looks bad on the entire department and causes grief for the actual good cops who don't take their frustrations out on their suspects.

Letting cops like this get away with assault, even if it's just a fucking slap to the face, is the reason so many people are giving other cops grief. Good cops that turn on bad cops get fired for it, why aren't we supporting those cops instead of the ones causing public hatred and animosity towards the entire profession? If we actually start saying "Fuck ups like this aren't going to just go away," ALL of our police force will be better taken care of. Less settlements means lower insurance rates, which means more pay available for cops, less public outcry over bad behavior not being punished means more cops are SAFER while on the job. When cops get away with shit like this but a good cop gets fired for not lying to cover another officer's ass when he breaks the law there is an issue. Good cops get killed because of actions like this and that alone is reason enough to fire cops like this at the first offense.

Support the cops that deserve it, not the ones whose actions put targets on the head of fellow officers because they can't control their own anger and actions, those cops are blowhard assholes who deserve to be fired for causing harm to the image of the profession as a whole, if nothing else.
I posted multiple videos of cops going way too far that I absolutely do not condone. As far as where the exact line in the sand is, I'm not sure. But this instance isn't anywhere near it.

Read what you posted in that paragraph. "and saying no harm was done to the victim is bullshit. Dude was just in a horrific crash, caught on fire, put himself out..."
Exactly. Why are we continuing to fake outrage over the police? The actual harm done to the victim was by the criminal. Not the police. In a life-or-death situation the police were risking their lives to apprehend the criminal. And amidst the giant blaze, they see one man emerge. A very human mistake. Any human being alive could've made that mistake. And they did no harm to the guy.

"An honest mistake is not kicking a suspect who isn't resisting". Yeah, because he knows they caught up to him and he's about to be apprehended. He sure as hell was resisting for that chase that nearly killed a shit load of people wasn't he? I have no sympathy for criminals like the dude in that video. Zero. Bullet in brain. The entire reason criminals run or perhaps even commit the crime itself is because they know the police are essentially powerless. Which greatly increases their chances of escaping. Don't touch the criminal! That's assault!
Bullet in brain.

I support all the cops who deserve it. Including the ones in this video. If they laid off and pursued gently, who knows if the suspect would've escaped, or how many others could've actually been dead? In the heat of the moment, they briefly thought the victim was the suspect. It's that simple. No harm was done by the police to the victim at all. The real differing argument here is I am in support of beating the shit out of the scumbag who caused all that damage, you/Head/Zomb are not. You don't even want the suspect to be kicktapped because it doesn't match the ridiculous standard you hold for them.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:And to be fair, it was refreshing for both of us to derail the argument and talk about something else after you tried like ten different arguments and nothing was hitting. You did us both a favor. :P

You really had to quickly throw together one last straw man as an "excuse" to leave the thread and take that L. Oh man. :lol:
If you want to pretend you won an argument to make yourself feel better, I won't get in your way.
No need to pretend, you've been dragged through this thread by anyone who has engaged with you for seven pages. Never had a chance. Why it is that you're now actually making some effort to respond to people's arguments instead of just parroting back straw men and exclaiming "Fake kicks!" Is beyond me though. Oh well.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:

No need to pretend, you've been dragged through this thread by anyone who has engaged with you for seven pages. Never had a chance.
If we're being completely honest here, you have a history of claiming victory when you have nothing left to offer in the argument. The argument is dead, anyway. This is a completely differing opinion that none of us will probably ever agree on. Simple.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

In b4 edit
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:

No need to pretend, you've been dragged through this thread by anyone who has engaged with you for seven pages. Never had a chance.
If we're being completely honest here, you have a history of claiming victory when you have nothing left to offer in the argument. The argument is dead, anyway. This is a completely differing opinion that none of us will probably ever agree on. Simple.
If we're being completely honest here, I'm touched that you follow my work so closely.

But nah, I had so many bullets left in the chamber. Thought I could get a couple more pages out of you but you pulled some fake outrage out of your butt as an excuse to leave. You were down to saying "kick" mockingly and repeating made up straw men, so idk. :lol:
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:

If we're being completely honest here, I'm touched that you follow my work so closely.

But nah, I had so many bullets left in the chamber. Thought I could get a couple more pages out of you but you pulled some fake outrage out of your butt as an excuse to leave. You were down to saying "kick" mockingly and repeating made up straw men, so idk. :lol:
#1 I was actually late for an exercise session.

#2 We made our points in the first 1-2 pages in this thread. The rest of it was detailed bickering and banter like we always do. It has become the norm. Nobody on the planet is better at that than we are right now. We've almost reached the equivalent of Foo and Seb in their primes. Only difference is we actually agree on some shit in here.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I'm going to try to use the "human mistake" excuse to get out of any situation now. The admission leaves you consequence-free, I hear.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I can't wait for the giant book that Dream is currently writing that I am going to have to respond to.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

Jason wrote:
Dream wrote:
Jason wrote:
Dream wrote:
Jason wrote:

I posted multiple videos of cops going way too far that I absolutely do not condone. As far as where the exact line in the sand is, I'm not sure. But this instance isn't anywhere near it.

Read what you posted in that paragraph. "and saying no harm was done to the victim is bullshit. Dude was just in a horrific crash, caught on fire, put himself out..."
Exactly. Why are we continuing to fake outrage over the police? The actual harm done to the victim was by the criminal. Not the police. In a life-or-death situation the police were risking their lives to apprehend the criminal. And amidst the giant blaze, they see one man emerge. A very human mistake. Any human being alive could've made that mistake. And they did no harm to the guy.

"An honest mistake is not kicking a suspect who isn't resisting". Yeah, because he knows they caught up to him and he's about to be apprehended. He sure as hell was resisting for that chase that nearly killed a shit load of people wasn't he? I have no sympathy for criminals like the dude in that video. Zero. Bullet in brain. The entire reason criminals run or perhaps even commit the crime itself is because they know the police are essentially powerless. Which greatly increases their chances of escaping. Don't touch the criminal! That's assault!
Bullet in brain.

I support all the cops who deserve it. Including the ones in this video. If they laid off and pursued gently, who knows if the suspect would've escaped, or how many others could've actually been dead? In the heat of the moment, the briefly thought the victim was the suspect. It's that simple. The real differing argument here is I am in support of beating the shit out of the scumbag who caused all that damage, you/Head/Zomb are not. You don't even want the suspect to be kicktapped.

I'm pretty sure I've been arguing to not beat the guy they weren't sure was the suspect, not to not beat the actual criminal suspect. Had it been the suspected they kicked, I wouldn't be pissed and would say a two-week suspension without pay while an "investigation" is carried out to shut up the public, but should they lose their job over it? no. Because they reacted like hotheads they didn't take the time to actually make sure they were kicking the person who caused all of the damage, that's a mistake that's hard to overlook for me. The cops added onto his trauma because they reacted without thinking and in doing so, not only are they putting the entire department at risk through lawsuits, they have given idiots with fucked up ideas about cops ammo to go out and kill/assault another officer uninvolved with this incident because they see their actions as protecting innocent citizens from violent police. Their actions have consequences that go far beyond their own life because of the field they work in. situations like this are dangerous because they feed into the rhetoric of cops attacking innocent people and getting away with it, dealing with cops like that swiftly and not giving them a chance to resign to go work for another department (which happens a lot) is needed in order to keep the cops who are actually working within the lines of the law safer.

you seem to be arguing that the guy who got assaulted deserved it for being in the wrong place at the wrong time when the police showed up. I'm arguing that the police should have figured out who was who before resorting to violence. After all the damage done, I wouldn't have faulted the cops for kicking a suspect, but they didn't kick a suspect, they kicked the victim and got filmed kicking the victim, they fucked up and deserve to lose their job so that another officer doesn't lose his life to some idiotic vengeful asshole who takes matters into his own hands because these cops weren't punished.
I started an erotic writing podcast with a friend
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:

#1 I was actually late for an exercise session.

#2 We made our points in the first 1-2 pages in this thread. The rest of it was detailed bickering and banter like we always do. It has become the norm. Nobody on the planet is better at that than we are right now. We've almost reached the equivalent of Foo and Seb in their primes. Only difference is we actually agree on some shit in here.
This doesn't even register on a scale of our nonsense to me. In between my sarcastic snarkiness I actually tried to make some fresh points, at least until like page 6. Usually I'm tapped out much earlier. :lol:
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Dream wrote:I'm pretty sure I've been arguing to not beat the guy they weren't sure was the suspect, not to not beat the actual criminal suspect. Had it been the suspected they kicked, I wouldn't be pissed and would say a two-week suspension without pay while an "investigation" is carried out to shut up the public, but should they lose their job over it? no. Because they reacted like hotheads they didn't take the time to actually make sure they were kicking the person who caused all of the damage, that's a mistake that's hard to overlook for me. The cops added onto his trauma because they reacted without thinking and in doing so, not only are they putting the entire department at risk through lawsuits, they have given idiots with fucked up ideas about cops ammo to go out and kill/assault another officer uninvolved with this incident because they see their actions as protecting innocent citizens from violent police. Their actions have consequences that go far beyond their own life because of the field they work in. situations like this are dangerous because they feed into the rhetoric of cops attacking innocent people and getting away with it, dealing with cops like that swiftly and not giving them a chance to resign to go work for another department (which happens a lot) is needed in order to keep the cops who are actually working within the lines of the law safer.

you seem to be arguing that the guy who got assaulted deserved it for being in the wrong place at the wrong time when the police showed up. I'm arguing that the police should have figured out who was who before resorting to violence. After all the damage done, I wouldn't have faulted the cops for kicking a suspect, but they didn't kick a suspect, they kicked the victim and got filmed kicking the victim, they fucked up and deserve to lose their job so that another officer doesn't lose his life to some idiotic vengeful asshole who takes matters into his own hands because these cops weren't punished.
I'm not sure blaming the cops for the psychos that go around shooting cops is a good theory.

"you seem to be arguing that the guy who got assaulted deserved it for being in the wrong place at the wrong time when the police showed up."
And now you've taken from this thread that I think the victim deserved it.

That entire post was crazy talk. I'm gonna go watch Goldfinger now.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Do you think the victim has a right to press charges against the police? It's fine if you wouldn't yourself, but would you morally object to others doing so? If you do object, that's kinda victim blaming.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:Do you think the victim has a right to press charges against the police? It's fine if you wouldn't yourself, but would you morally object to others doing so? If you do object, that's kinda victim blaming.
The victim totally has that right, but I would certainly frown upon it. His anger should be directed at the guy who caused this mess, the guy who totaled his ride, the guy who set him on fire and nearly burned him alive, etc... That guy. Problem is, you get no money out of the criminal who caused the mess. So it's easy to sue and get a shit load of cash from the police force. The liberal way!
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Do you think the victim has a right to press charges against the police? It's fine if you wouldn't yourself, but would you morally object to others doing so? If you do object, that's kinda victim blaming.
The victim totally has that right, but I would certainly frown upon it. His anger should be directed at the guy who caused this mess, the guy who totaled his ride, the guy who set him on fire and nearly burned him alive, etc... That guy. Problem is, you get no money out of the criminal who caused the mess. So it's easy to sue and get a shit load of cash from the police force. The liberal way!
Okay, but you still seem hung up on this either/or scenario where anger can't be directed at multiple parties.

There wouldn't be an avenue to get money if the police didn't fuck up. You've got the cause and symptom mixed up. People aren't cruising around looking to get beat on by incompetent cops so they can get rich, so assuming some kind of dishonest monetary intent is unfair.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Okay, but you still seem hung up on this either/or scenario where anger can't be directed at multiple parties.

There wouldn't be an avenue to get money if the police didn't fuck up. You've got the cause and symptom mixed up.
You could be angry at the police. Angry enough to press charges and ruin their lives? Nah. Shouldn't be that angry.

If the police weren't there right away, the circumstances would be different and the dude could easily be dead because of this criminal. Don't forget that.