Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I love Beerfest. It's become my favorite of the Broken Lizard movies. Super Troopers used to be, but rewatches Beerfest just became the top one for me.
Never seen Super Troopers, but if it's like Beerfest, it's probably best I don't. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Jigsaw wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I love Beerfest. It's become my favorite of the Broken Lizard movies. Super Troopers used to be, but rewatches Beerfest just became the top one for me.
Never seen Super Troopers, but if it's like Beerfest, it's probably best I don't. :P
Super Troopers is fun, just stay away from the boring sequel.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I thought the sequel was funny, just not as good as the first.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I thought Super Troopers was a lot better than the part 2s of recent memory (Dumb and Dumber, Anchorman). The problem with making sequels like this is the first films have become too iconic that a sequel will never overcome it. Especially when half the sequel is referencing the first movie. Which Dumb and Dumber and Anchorman did far too much of in the sequel.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Havok wrote:The Strangers: Prey At Night

After walking out of this one I was trying to think of a highly acclaimed first film that was enjoyable and solid, only for a sequel to come along and just shit in your cereal bowl. Not until I got home while I was using the bathroom that it finally dawned on me. The Strangers 2 is basically The Descent Part 2. Just a needless film cashing in on the property name and overall success of the first film that just makes you hate that a sequel even exists in the first place.

Honestly, there is no reason to see The Strangers 2. It's a dull, cliched movie that you've seen done better numerous times from other home invasion movies since the release of the first Strangers film. Don't get me started on how they straight up lifted the ending of Texas Chainsaw Massacre during the final moments of Prey At Night. Yes, i'm talking about the Truck scene. Fuck out of here.
I'm gonna piggy-back on my man's review here. Semi spoilers ahead.

Let me preface by saying this is the first horror movie I've watched in awhile, and so I too was thrown for a loop as to why it was devolving into the so many cliche horror tropes compared to some of the gritty realism, and subtle-ness of the first, but I actually kinda dug it as I got to yell at the screen and shit. With shit like "Shoot that bitch in the face. Not in the gut, not the chest, right through that fucking mask... What are you doing, she's standing right there, shoot her in the face. Oye you fucking candyass..." to "Dude, I get you're all fucked up and you're fucking dead anyways, but don't let Sackface just gank you! Fight, punch him! Don't just say "Oh please don't", hit him! Oh, god damnit" etc. For me, I was embracing the bullshit and it did have a couple good suspense scenes, and finally towards the end our wimp male protagonist is finally doing something, and THEN the end comes. And I'm not talking about the TCM homage Havok mentioned, that didn't bother me, but where these motherfuckers didn't just jump the shark but catapulted over it was by turning Sackface into full on Voorhees/Myers shit! Motherfucker just won't die. The first was built on good suspense and the idea of "watch out, this shit could happen to you too", and the powers here just said fuck it all.

I was entertained decent enough until the ending, but what they did and crapping over the first film in many ways, fuck it, I would never watch this one again.

I get maybe they are looking for Sackface to be some new franchise character of horror, marketability etc, and you could have that with Sackface, Dollface and Pin-Up Girl, except you buttfucked one of the things to make the first work... They won, seemed real, and there was no rhyme or reason to them. But hey, maybe I'm not in marketing for a reason, but it doesn't take a genius to see how they fucked this up.

And then my next biggest gripe after the ending, was buttfucking a scene from the original. In the OG, it was even in the trailer, but watching the movie in totality, I thought it was effective and chilling. Liv Tyler is about to get ganked or it was her final ganking (been awhile since I've seen the first), and she asks why, why are you doing this. And Dollface responds with "Because you were home". You know they were just cruising around, looking and knocking at doors until these poor schmucks were the ones to answer. This has a very similar scene, except the tables are turned, retardedly. Our main protagonist girl just blasted Dollface in the chest at point-blank range with a fucking shotgun out a car. Ain't nobody surviving jack shit after that, but she walks up to Dollface, flips off her mask (revealing a good-looking actress I might add, not kill her) and asks the same shit, and Dollface says "Why not?". Well "click-click",bada-bing bada-boom, Dollface is outta the room. The same writer-director worked on this, do you not see the difference...? Fuck. I don't know how much other studio/exec stuff strong-armed this, but the boat was missed entirely.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

the strangers 2 spoilers ahead. don't keep reading if you don't want strangers 2: prey at night completely spoiled and ruined for you. you've been warned!

for god's sake, stop reading if you care about watching the strangers 2 without spoilers! :P

anyways, it just felt like they really wanted to end the series, but it's only the second movie. so why even make a sequel if you're just going to kill all of the villains off. i don't know. :P up until that, it was pretty decent. cliche, i know what you did last summer-y but still more stylish than that was.
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

Sequence Break

Not even sure what to say other than it must be the demented dream of some director who wanted to hump the games in an arcade. It made no sense. None. I even fell asleep and the guy was still fingering the arcade game when I woke up. Weird, dumb and waste of time.
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

Thou Was Mild and Lovely

More like thou was dumb and boring. Really don't even see how this was on a horror channel besides the killing at the end. It was voiced over with poetry too. I'd rather have a voiceover of Miss Piggy farting than that. :roll:
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Slender Man (2018)

This was boring. It's not even good bad or unintentionally hilarious, just sit there questioning your life wondering why you're sitting in the theater. There were a few moments in the film that if handled better could've been pretty interesting, sadly it the script it terrible, incoherent at times when it comes to certain plot points and characters. The editing of the film felt like things were just on the cutting room floor. I wanna say the Director tried or wanted to make something, but there were too many hands in the water washing off their dirty ideas faster than the director could even get his hands wet. It's not a very interesting film and should just be skipped unless you want something to put you to sleep at night.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

It's a movie based on a video game that only jump scares you until the game is over. I had no plan on seeing this one. Lol.

Now that one movie that came out this year that I already forgot the name of... that was a decent horror movie. With the weird daughter and the brother and stuff. :p

I could easily find the name but I'm lazy. Mostly annoyed with myself that I actually forgot the name.

Wait, it's Hereditary.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

There's no suspense or terror and what jump scares are in the film are weak and by the numbers. There really isn't an ending to the film and nothing is even resolved, so whatever was going on with certain characters though out are just tossed right out the window. I wish it was Wish Upon or Bye Bye Man levels bad so it could've been entertaining in a bad way.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Blackkklansman

Surprisingly good. I'm not much of a Spike Lee fan but this is easily the best I've seen from him. Great acting, some really funny moments, and an extremely satisfying climax.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I do want to see Blackkklansman. I do love 25th Hour and Do The Right Thing, but haven't really loved his other work (Malcom X needs a rewatch).
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:It's a movie based on a video game that only jump scares you until the game is over. I had no plan on seeing this one. Lol.

Now that one movie that came out this year that I already forgot the name of... that was a decent horror movie. With the weird daughter and the brother and stuff. :p

I could easily find the name but I'm lazy. Mostly annoyed with myself that I actually forgot the name.

Wait, it's Hereditary.
The video game is based off the cool (internet) myth that preceded it. I was surprised they made a game dedicated to it.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Those two are classics but I also love He Got Game and Inside Man.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

No need for a Slender Man movie, just watch Marble Hornets.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Inside Man was good, but didn't love it.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Marble Hornets was fucking great.

Though got pretty...confusing during the later videos, kinda lost the narrative, lol.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I liked 25th Hour but there is no universe in which it's a classic.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:I liked 25th Hour but there is no universe in which it's a classic.
The quintessential post 9/11 movie.