What are you watching?

You can talk about anything here
Jason
Administrator

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Jason »

What's the appeal for the few that liked Zombie's Halloween 2?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:What's the appeal for the few that liked Zombie's Halloween 2?
nrad dourif. well acted cast. solid modern horror flick. trying something different with the series. lots of style.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

I like the tone. Heavy and brutal. Not something I can throw in any time, but when I am in the mood for that, RZ's Halloween movies are perfect.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:What's the appeal for the few that liked Zombie's Halloween 2?
Brad dourif. well acted cast. solid modern horror flick. trying something different with the series. lots of style.
This. It's pretty amazing the good stuff people look over just because Zombie uses curse words and a couple questionable things (I understand the idea of the white horse, but obviously no one liked it).

Brad is stellar in this. I know he's usually great, but this is in his upper tier of his resume, as far as performances go. Not Exorcist III or One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, but near them. So when numbnuts (not anyone here specifically, but I've seen it a lot on other forums like SuperHeroHype's horror/halloween sections) like to claim there's "nothing good" about this movie, it's horseshit. Brad at bare minimum is something good about it. So even if you don't like the movie as a whole, it's not a total loss. I think Scout, Danielle, Angela Trimbur are all good too.

Also a big fan of the Halloween party set piece. Kinda funny that the ones that throw a Halloween themed party in the movie tends to be the ones hated on the most (5, 8, this). I just now noticed that similarity. *strokes beard*

It's got its flaws (I think Loomis overall is a big and fair flaw), I don't think anyone denies that, but I tend to believe certain flaws get exaggerated (cursing, the horse, hobo-beard on Michael, etc) to ignore the pluses about the movie.

I don't even think the movie has the same cursing problem the first one has, it's a lot more natural in 2.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Monster wrote:I like the tone. Heavy and brutal. Not something I can throw in any time, but when I am in the mood for that, RZ's Halloween movies are perfect.
As much as I'll sorta-praise his H2...over the past couple years I find my urge to watch it dwindle and dwindle.

I really don't give a crap about his first throw-away. If my used copy wasn't so scratched up, I'd pawn it.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:Grainy ass transfer. Come on, blu ray. Jesus.
Oh shit...you're watching the blu ray? I don't think the theatrical cut is available on that...that's the significantly better cut...

Did you get stuck with a shitty Love Hurts cover at the end instead of "Laurie's Theme"?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Oh shit...you're watching the blu ray? I don't think the theatrical cut is available on that...that's the significantly better cut...

Did you get stuck with a shitty Love Hurts cover at the end instead of "Laurie's Theme"?
my points all relate to the theatrical cut. i haven't seen the other. and i don't wanna. :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

zombie wrote:

my points all relate to the theatrical cut. i haven't seen the other. and i don't wanna. :P
Its not often i prefer the theatrical version.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

zombie wrote:

Its not often i prefer the theatrical version.
i can't say prefer, without actually seeing the director's version.. but i don't wanna own it by itself and don't think it's available anywhere to watch without buying it.

i did like the bvs theatrical cut better though, but it's not the norm for me either.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I had to look up the differences because it's been a while. Loomis is a much bigger shithead in the director's cut, exaggerated cursing, the lame Love Hurts ending, elevating Laurie to be mentally unstable rather than just traumatized. No additional gore or nudity.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Weekend at Bernie's
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Yeah, I bought that big beautiful Halloween blu ray box set. Both remakes are director's cuts. My DVDs are theatrical. This was my first viewing of the director's cut for both remakes. I spotted the differences, and yeah, we got the shit ass Love Hurts version. Lol.

I can't get over how terrible and grainy the transfer was on that one, though. It's crazy. I watched all the Halloween movies on blu ray this past week or two, all but H20, Resurrection and RZ2 had flawless transfers. Beautiful work, but those three, especially RZ2, was an almost unwatchable transfer. I snapped a picture, hoping to capture the garbage quality. I'll try to upload it...
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I bought the Friday the 13th blu ray box set, too. The one that actually has all 12 movies. Gonna watch it soon, and I am terrified some of them will get a transfer as shitty as that one.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Is it the Scream Factory set that's now out of print and of course now overpriced?

Not that I'd get it, knowing we'd be stuck with the Director's Cut of H2.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Is it the Scream Factory set that's now out of print and of course now overpriced?

Not that I'd get it, knowing we'd be stuck with the Director's Cut of H2.
That's the one. With all the films in their own individual cases. As far as I know, this is the only set with the Producer's cut and theatrical cut for part 6.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I have the individual blu ray for the Producer's Cut. There wasn't really any features that I remember seeing on it. But I think I've seen that story on youtube (might've been ripped from the docs).
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Which story? The Jamie actress story I was talking about?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:Which story? The Jamie actress story I was talking about?
Yeah, that one.