When the war is over but soldiers keep fighting it

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
showa58taro
Administrator

Re: When the war is over but soldiers keep fighting it

Post by showa58taro »

Foo wrote:No one even bats an eye when a movie studio decides a certain film must be directed by a female or black person.

Imagine the rage if someone in Hollywood said, "We are incredibly pleased to have found a straight white man to direct our $200m Stretch Armstrong movie. We feel he has a deep understanding of Stretch and will bring the story to life..."
It's not hard to find, that's why. It doesn't count as anything to do the same as always.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:No one even bats an eye when a movie studio decides a certain film must be directed by a female or black person.

Imagine the rage if someone in Hollywood said, "We are incredibly pleased to have found a straight white man to direct our $200m Stretch Armstrong movie. We feel he has a deep understanding of Stretch and will bring the story to life..."
the critics and media sources i listen to are all about pointing out when male directors make good / successful female led blockbusters. *shrug*

it should be about who is best for the job, for whatever reason. the studios pick who they think would do best for a particular project.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:Agree.

Targeting whites and claiming privilege and racism needs to stop.
claiming privilege and attacking people who have a different viewpoint. (or are even just interviewing someone who does) needs to stop. there is oppression through the guise of tolerance, definitely.

what i see from this is that there is still work to be done. even if you're trying to slant it as if it's all against caucasians.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Moral of thread: we all need to drive with Fooskey more often.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

showa58taro wrote:
Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:

Not sure we agree really. Though if genuinely there was an actual infringement upon white people then I'd agree it should stop. But that doesn't strike me as a real problem.
But a man dressed as a woman being denied use of a ladies locker room is?

I mean, this is a real injustice and protests must be carried out!
At its core the bathroom nonsense is a stand-in for a bigger issue of equality. It is a real injustice.
If you must stretch that far to find a "stand in", I think it furthers my argument that the fight is over. When you can't find real pressing issues that impact lives, it is time to move on.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:

Not sure we agree really. Though if genuinely there was an actual infringement upon white people then I'd agree it should stop. But that doesn't strike me as a real problem.

At its core the bathroom nonsense is a stand-in for a bigger issue of equality. It is a real injustice.
If you must stretch that far to find a "stand in", I think it furthers my argument that the fight is over. When you can't find real pressing issues that impact lives, it is time to move on.
There is no vfw for old social justice warriors...
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:

i think it's pretty weird to make a judgment on what impacts the lives of others.

if there's nothing to work for, then why did you start in about the "equality" thing with directors and such? there are things that still need to be worked on. we don't live in a utopia. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Considering the GOP has been getting fucked in the ass all over the country by courts for unconstitutional racial gerrymandering (even Clarence Thomas found it racist!), no it isn't over. Why you scared bro? You concerned that the demographics will turn your party into a dinosaur once they stop suppressing minority voters?
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

The many variations of the "why can't we celebrate people for being white/have White History Month/etc." argument comprise the single densest, most idiotic argument one can ever imagine hearing. It's like a little kid learning what a "double standard" is for the first time and trying to apply it to something he has no understanding of. But the kid thinks he's brilliant because in a really half-assed, context-ignorant world, there's a connection to be drawn! :lol:

Cringe whenever I see that horseshit argument.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

showa58taro wrote:

How do you even respond to his nonsense seriously? I'm impressed. :P

Seems that Jason has genuinely lost his marbles in the past couple days, if the last few political threads are any indiciation.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Headhunter wrote:Considering the GOP has been getting fucked in the ass all over the country by courts for unconstitutional racial gerrymandering (even Clarence Thomas found it racist!), no it isn't over. Why you scared bro? You concerned that the demographics will turn your party into a dinosaur once they stop suppressing minority voters?
As an independent who is marrying a Latina, should I be scared, bro?

Even if I was a republican, I could simply point to gaining the presidency, the senate, the house, plus governors and state sentators over the last few years. The most popular person in the Democratic Party looks like Doc Brown after the flux capacitor ravaged him with cancer.

No matter what happens, I am gonna keep on doing my thing.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Headhunter wrote:The many variations of the "why can't we celebrate people for being white/have White History Month/etc." argument comprise the single densest, most idiotic argument one can ever imagine hearing. It's like a little kid learning what a "double standard" is for the first time and trying to apply it to something he has no understanding of. But the kid thinks he's brilliant because in a really half-assed, context-ignorant world, there's a connection to be drawn! :lol:

Yeah, but hearing black millionaires talk about oppression never gets old!
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Considering the GOP has been getting fucked in the ass all over the country by courts for unconstitutional racial gerrymandering (even Clarence Thomas found it racist!), no it isn't over. Why you scared bro? You concerned that the demographics will turn your party into a dinosaur once they stop suppressing minority voters?
As an independent who is marrying a Latina, should I be scared, bro?

Even if I was a republican, I could simply point to gaining the presidency, the senate, the house, plus governors and state sentators over the last few years. The most popular person in the Democratic Party looks like Doc Brown after the flux capacitor ravaged him with cancer.

No matter what happens, I am gonna keep on doing my thing.
Lol, I'm fucking with you with the "y u scared bro". But racial gerrymandering is just one example that debunks your case. And the GOP is really only poised for success in the short term, but they willingly made that choice.

Do your thing then, we all are.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:The many variations of the "why can't we celebrate people for being white/have White History Month/etc." argument comprise the single densest, most idiotic argument one can ever imagine hearing. It's like a little kid learning what a "double standard" is for the first time and trying to apply it to something he has no understanding of. But the kid thinks he's brilliant because in a really half-assed, context-ignorant world, there's a connection to be drawn! :lol:

How many white millionaires get "cracker" spray painted on their front gate? The poor are definitely more affected by racism, but pretty dismissive to think it doesn't exist at all classes.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

The more interesting discussion here is the Democrats' abandonment of class politics altogether in favor of identity politics. Initially the trade off worked in the Democrats' favor as they rolled out black rights and women's rights. Now it looks like it's biting them in the ass as the party now essentially represents the interests of corporate overlords who would have voted Republican 30-40 years ago and minority groups. You can't form cohesive public policy while appealing to such different groups who want very few of the same things. The Democrats were so arrogant, they let the "poor, rural" demographic slip away and the newly formed religious right was able to lay some groundwork for the next generation. Didn't help that the ''recovery" the Democrats were so quick to boast about never came to rural America.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Headhunter wrote:The more interesting discussion here is the Democrats' abandonment of class politics altogether in favor of identity politics. Initially the trade off worked in the Democrats' favor as they rolled out black rights and women's rights. Now it looks like it's biting them in the ass as the party now essentially represents the interests of corporate overlords who would have voted Republican 30-40 years ago and minority groups. You can't form cohesive public policy while appealing to such different groups who want very few of the same things. The Democrats were so arrogant, they let the "poor, rural" demographic slip away and the newly formed religious right was able to lay some groundwork for the next generation. Didn't help that the ''recovery" the Democrats were so quick to boast about never came to rural America.
I could not agree more.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Headhunter wrote:
Foo wrote:

How many white millionaires get "cracker" spray painted on their front gate? The poor are definitely more affected by racism, but pretty dismissive to think it doesn't exist at all classes.
How many millions of comments have referred to Donald Trump's skin color? What would happen if Trump Tower did not have security?
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

We need to leave orange people alone. :D
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Foo wrote:

How many millions of comments have referred to Donald Trump's skin color? What would happen if Trump Tower did not have security?
Having your property vandalized because you're black is the same thing as pointing out that Trump is white? That's worse than a stretch, that's not grounds for any sort of comparison at all.

As for security at Trump Tower, he's the president. Half the country hating you is part of the job and people are crazy. The hell does that have to do with his skin color?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Headhunter wrote:
Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Foo wrote:

Having your property vandalized because you're black is the same thing as pointing out that Trump is white? That's worse than a stretch, that's not grounds for any sort of comparison at all.

As for security at Trump Tower, he's the president. Half the country hating you is part of the job and people are crazy. The hell does that have to do with his skin color?
You don't see all the slurs about Trump's skin color? You don't think there are constant attempts to vandalize Trump property?

When people called Obama the N-word, did they get a pass on racism because he was the president?