Why horror?

Anything that doesn't fit into the above categories.
Monster
Charter Member

Re: Why horror?

Post by Monster »

It's funny, when you say The Babadook sucked, some jerkoff will go into a, "you just didn't get it" rant. It really wasn't that complicated. Boring movie.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Monster wrote:some jerkoff will go into a, "you just didn't get it" rant.
Lol. I get it...

DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Monster wrote:It's funny, when you say The Babadook sucked, some jerkoff will go into a, "you just didn't get it" rant. It really wasn't that complicated. Boring movie.
I love cutting them off telling them exactly what it's about, and wait as they try to respond.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

"Critically acclaimed horror movies that actually suck" is a damn good topic.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:I thought this thread was about the 2014 documentary Why Horror.
i don't know about that at all?

i feel like it shouldn't need to have a qualifier.i mean there's no "prestige action". it kind of frustrates me. i don't like the reputation that horror always gets. :P i was looking to talk about why you like horror, what keeps you interested in the genre. etc. that's all.
Isn't there in terms of critics though?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

i feel like it shouldn't need to have a qualifier.i mean there's no "prestige action". it kind of frustrates me. i don't like the reputation that horror always gets. :P i was looking to talk about why you like horror, what keeps you interested in the genre. etc. that's all.
as a whole subcategory term? if so, i've never seen that. but individual movies being hailed above most others, yeah. madmax: fury road comes to mind, as a recent example.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Tiggnutz wrote:Image
seems pretty similar to my intent with this thread. definitely have to find that. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

To answer the original question: That constant feeling of anticipation is awesome. Gore is also just plain fun. And growing up the whole horror culture was just plain cool. The social scene, music scene around it etc.

It truly is acquired taste unlike any genre. Thus the great communities that come out of it.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I have a pretty depressing and struggling life, so I enjoy watching the misery and death on film

:P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

as a whole subcategory term? if so, i've never seen that. but individual movies being hailed above most others, yeah. madmax: fury road comes to mind, as a recent example.
There was a stretch where this type of horror were called "thrillers" to avoid the label of horror.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

There was a stretch where this type of horror were called "thrillers" to avoid the label of horror.
oh, i thought you were talking action movies get the same treatment. yeah, there was a point where filmmakers and producers wanted to downplay the horror-ness of their movies. that only furthers my point. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i really like the creativity in the genre. there's something pretty cool about seeing the splatter and the monsters realized. (preferably practically)
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

oh, i thought you were talking action movies get the same treatment. yeah, there was a point where filmmakers and producers wanted to downplay the horror-ness of their movies. that only furthers my point. :P
Sorry, that was two different thoughts, but I did mean that action is also treated similarly.

Jason Bourne is treated differently than John Wick which is treated differently than a Hason Statham movie which is treated different than a Jeff Speakman movie.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

Sorry, that was two different thoughts, but I did mean that action is also treated similarly.

Jason Bourne is treated differently than John Wick which is treated differently than a Hason Statham movie which is treated different than a Jeff Speakman movie.
those are single movies though. every genre has movies that are seen as standouts critically. my issue with "prestige horror", as a term, is that it feels like this is so special within the horror genre that we have to give good movies their own label to signify it.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

My big question is how prestige horror is defined?

Does it have a clear definition like Fish Out of Water horror does?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i haven't seen a given definition, just some films that are categorized that way. and that it's because of acclaim for the movies.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Check out the differences between audience scores and critic scores for The Witch and It Comes at Night. It's crazy.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

It's the tension I felt the first time I watched movies like The Exorcist or Friday the 13th when I was a kid and the way it got my imagination going that got me hooked. I love it. It's what makes horror more fun to watch than any other genre.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/it-comes ... to-us.html <-- in case you think i'm making the term up or something. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Monster wrote:It's the tension I felt the first time I watched movies like The Exorcist or Friday the 13th when I was a kid and the way it got my imagination going that got me hooked. I love it. It's what makes horror more fun to watch than any other genre.
i like that. the tension and creepy, unsettling, feel of a lot of horror films definitely is a big part of the appeal.