October 5th 2018

The daily chat room.
Jason
Administrator

Re: October 5th 2018

Post by Jason »

Regardless. I don't where this conversation is going, or how it got to me being above anyone, but that is genuinely not the fucking case at all. I go out of my way to surround myself with people who are better than me, whether on here or in my personal life. So take that as you will.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:Regardless. I don't where this conversation is going, or how it got to me being above anyone, but that is genuinely not the fucking case at all. I go out of my way to surround myself with people who are better than me, whether on here or in my personal life. So take that as you will.
i didn't mean it seriously. and i'm not better than you, as a part of the group you surround yourself with online.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Domd has talked about exercise, and his weight, countless times. And I remember Jason giving advice of dead sprints, sit-ups do nothing etc. I don't know, maybe it was on the dead board. I just know, as much as Jason might like it, there's not enough Gym Rat/Exercise crazed peeps to start a thread comparing shit. And I like my ab-flex-lounger thingy!
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jason wrote:Regardless. I don't where this conversation is going, or how it got to me being above anyone, but that is genuinely not the fucking case at all. I go out of my way to surround myself with people who are better than me, whether on here or in my personal life. So take that as you will.
Zombs can be harsh. Bring it in, bro. *hugs*
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

working on my Jordy Verrill costume.

Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:working on my Jordy Verrill costume.

Oh shit, you ol' lunkhead!
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I'm going to gradually glue pieces on during the night too.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jason wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Jason wrote:Are Slaughter and I the only people who lift weights and/or exercise on the regular on HMF?
I do when I'm not on asinine stretches of working/doing shit 12+ hours a day and thus only want to come home, eat dinner and go to sleep, rinse repeat. So mines never on the regular.
I have similar work hours, with a 1.5 hour commute to work and back with the only desire of coming home and going to sleep because that's all I have time to do. For two months we had an ass backwards schedule of starting at 11PM one day, and 7AM the next day. Sucks not knowing what time you work until 7PM every night. I have to call every night to get my work schedule. BUT, I still hit the gym for at least an hour, four times a week. It is the only thing keeping my sanity.

I also don't go missing from HMF for 6 months and post updates on my death bed. 8-) :!: :!: :!: 8-) learn frum me
The thing is, you are 100% correct for doing so, and I regret when I let myself go and get out of the routine, because the time spent at the gym always pay me back with better sleep quality, more production, and a better quality of life in general that more than makes up for the time spent working out.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Foo wrote:
Jason wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Jason wrote:Are Slaughter and I the only people who lift weights and/or exercise on the regular on HMF?
I do when I'm not on asinine stretches of working/doing shit 12+ hours a day and thus only want to come home, eat dinner and go to sleep, rinse repeat. So mines never on the regular.
I have similar work hours, with a 1.5 hour commute to work and back with the only desire of coming home and going to sleep because that's all I have time to do. For two months we had an ass backwards schedule of starting at 11PM one day, and 7AM the next day. Sucks not knowing what time you work until 7PM every night. I have to call every night to get my work schedule. BUT, I still hit the gym for at least an hour, four times a week. It is the only thing keeping my sanity.

I also don't go missing from HMF for 6 months and post updates on my death bed. 8-) :!: :!: :!: 8-) learn frum me
The thing is, you are 100% correct for doing so, and I regret when I let myself go and get out of the routine, because the time spent at the gym always pay me back with better sleep quality, more production, and a better quality of life in general that more than makes up for the time spent working out.
That whole post was mainly to friendly-jab Reign for making everyone think he was dead while I was the one actually dying. :p

It's easy to quit/easy to want to quit exercising. It's tedious, kinda time-consuming, hardly fun. But I keep a mental note of how I feel in general when not exercising compared to how I feel in general when I am exercising, and the latter is always the way to go. I treat it like a blue-collar job. Gotta wake up and go to work every day, well I gotta get into the gym too. Not long after you develop a steady routine, it becomes naturally addictive... You don't want to go to the gym today, but your mind and body are shaming you while you sit there contemplating whether or not to go. Only way to remedy that is to keep doing it. I always just listen to that part of me, and it pays dividends for my overall feeling of well-being.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jason wrote:
Foo wrote:
Jason wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:

That whole post was mainly to friendly-jab Reign for making everyone think he was dead while I was the one actually dying. :p

It's easy to quit/easy to want to quit exercising. It's tedious, kinda time-consuming, hardly fun. But I keep a mental note of how I feel in general when not exercising compared to how I feel in general when I am exercising, and the latter is always the way to go. I treat it like a blue-collar job. Gotta wake up and go to work every day, well I gotta get into the gym too. Not long after you develop a steady routine, it becomes naturally addictive... You don't want to go to the gym today, but your mind and body are shaming you while you sit there contemplating whether or not to go. Only way to remedy that is to keep doing it. I always just listen to that part of me, and it pays dividends for my overall feeling of well-being.
I have been addicted to exercise and addicted to being a slob. Unfortunately, happy medium is difficult for me. The thing is, there has been no downside when I am on the active end of that scale. I chalk it up to inner demons that I do not continue with the good habits. A form of both self destruction and a means of keeping people at arms length.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Metabolism could be the breaking point. Mine is ridiculously speedy. If I completely disregarded my eating habits and just ate whenever I felt like it, I would probably drop down into the 130s (pounds). I was about 145 when I started exercising regularly and forcing proper eating patterns. The heat here is so unbearable that I don't really have much of an appetite, so I could probably go days without eating and not feel hungry.

Typically, on workout days, I will eat lean meats and healthy protein to pack on muscle and stay lean. On non-workout days I will basically eat anything I feel like, so long as I am getting a decent amount of protein, otherwise I will just lose a bunch of weight. Back in June when I had that bleeding episode, I was hospitalized for 4.5 days and lost nearly 20 pounds. Only about halfway to getting it back, but that is also because I've had headache issues and muscle spasms in my neck and it's kept me from really pushing it in the gym lately.

I've never experienced the slow form of metabolism, so I don't know what my routine would be like if I had.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jason wrote:Metabolism could be the breaking point. Mine is ridiculously speedy. If I completely disregarded my eating habits and just ate whenever I felt like it, I would probably drop down into the 130s (pounds). I was about 145 when I started exercising regularly and forcing proper eating patterns. The heat here is so unbearable that I don't really have much of an appetite, so I could probably go days without eating and not feel hungry.

Typically, on workout days, I will eat lean meats and healthy protein to pack on muscle and stay lean. On non-workout days I will basically eat anything I feel like, so long as I am getting a decent amount of protein, otherwise I will just lose a bunch of weight. Back in June when I had that bleeding episode, I was hospitalized for 4.5 days and lost nearly 20 pounds. Only about halfway to getting it back, but that is also because I've had headache issues and muscle spasms in my neck and it's kept me from really pushing it in the gym lately.

I've never experienced the slow form of metabolism, so I don't know what my routine would be like if I had.
I don't think I have a slow metabolism, just prone to bad eating habits. It definitely reacts according to how I treat it. If I eat chicken and cabbage and drink tons of water, it reacts. If I eat chocolate, Mac and cheese, and soda, it equally reacts.

There is little danger of me getting too light because I like food too much. I basically range from large human to polar bear, not from skinny human to large human.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I dedicate 4 days out of my week to getting in a proper exercise routine and eating healthy. The other three days are pretty much 'anything goes'. If I dedicated 6 or 7 days to strict dieting, I would probably cave at some point.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jason wrote:I dedicate 4 days out of my week to getting in a proper exercise routine and eating healthy. The other three days are pretty much 'anything goes'. If I dedicated 6 or 7 days to strict dieting, I would probably cave at some point.
For me, it is practically all or nothing. Inner demons.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I can't completely sloth it, but over-doing it doesn't make me feel any better than moderate exercise. Unfortunately, going fullbore with exercise requires me to put even more effort than people with speedy metabolism (shit-slow-turtle metabolism POV here, definitely runs in the family) to make any kind of small dent, so it feels worthless. I feel like I was on my way to making a real dent with weights and a squat challenge, then my arm gave out and hasn't fully recovered over the past 3 months. I suppose I can try the weights again, but I fear inflaming it again just by the weighted grip. Luckily it wasn't my jerk'n hand though :P
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

showa58taro wrote:Isometrics sounds very scientific. Is it working well for you? Still perennially thin no matter the consumption?

Family is great. Both the kids are a lot of fun, it’s a good age gap so they tend, generally, to be on the same page and get along. Few fights but that’s siblings. And hey, I can’t believe it myself sometimes, that I’m an actual dad and full-fledged”adult” as itvwere. Feels wrong. :P
There's science involved, but I'm shit at explaining things. Force, gravity, all that shit. I'm sore, so it's working. One thing I've always liked about working out is that you have full control over what you do and how much, so the end result is up to you. Be it hypertrophy, strength, power, endurance, there's different ways of doing things for each, and the results are obvious. I dabble in a little of everything depending on how I feel things are going, changing things up every three months.

Not sure what you meant by the perennially thin? Was that in reference to the lack of good horror? If so, then yes. I stumble upon a rare good film a couple times a year, but otherwise everything is the same. Jump scare, jump scare, cg nonsense, jump scare, repeat. Or in the case of ghost films: move furniture, move other things, open doors, that mirror scene, jump scare, jump scare, jump scare. Shit's the cure for insomnia.

I'm glad you're enjoying it and that the kids aren't asshats. That shit is not for me. I'd kill the fuckers just from the whining during the first few months.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I can't completely sloth it, but over-doing it doesn't make me feel any better than moderate exercise. Unfortunately, going fullbore with exercise requires me to put even more effort than people with speedy metabolism (shit-slow-turtle metabolism POV here, definitely runs in the family) to make any kind of small dent, so it feels worthless. I feel like I was on my way to making a real dent with weights and a squat challenge, then my arm gave out and hasn't fully recovered over the past 3 months. I suppose I can try the weights again, but I fear inflaming it again just by the weighted grip. Luckily it wasn't my jerk'n hand though :P
Metabolism can be changed gradually, through gaining muscle. Your muscles require constant feeding to maintain, or they go into a catabolic state, essentially eating themselves. The bigger the muscles, the more energy they require. That's why lifting weights helps burn fat. You don't eat more, so your muscles start to use the fat stores as energy. You do need to make sure that what you are eating is good, though. If all you eat is junk food, you likely won't gain much muscle mass, and therefore, won't increase your metabolism. Cut out sugar(cut out soda), limit fat(cutting out cheese/dairy helps alot here), increase protein.

You should also be concerned with your blood sugar levels. You can keep them in check by changing when you eat. You basically want to eat every 2.5-3 hours. So a typical day should be something like: breakfast(say 7:00)-snack(10:00)-lunch(12:30)-snack(3:30)-dinner(6:00)-snack(9:00). You don't have to be perfect on the timing, but try not to go over four hours without eating something. The meals would be smaller, and ideally, each should contain protein, carbs, and fat(perfect world scenario, I just make sure I get protein in every meal). How much of each you need depends on alot of factors. But by eating smaller meals more often, your blood sugar doesn't spike. That's one of the big causes of diabetes, kidney disease, heart attacks, and other shit you don't want.
pixie
Charter Member

Post by pixie »

Jason wrote:I dedicate 4 days out of my week to getting in a proper exercise routine and eating healthy. The other three days are pretty much 'anything goes'. If I dedicated 6 or 7 days to strict dieting, I would probably cave at some point.
Its definitely disciple. I was totally on a role my first year going to the gym. I lost about 20lbs with cardio and eating right. But ever since i went back to school ...managing work, school and gym has me skipping more than id like. Ive lost 10lbs after.. then gained like 5 .. the fluctuation is annoying.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I'm definitely not in habit of eating every 2-3 hours, I typically eat twice in a day. I very rarely feel hungry for more :(