Why horror?

Anything that doesn't fit into the above categories.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Re: Why horror?

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/it-comes ... to-us.html <-- in case you think i'm making the term up or something. :P
I saw the same article, assumed that was what you were talking about.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/it-comes ... to-us.html <-- in case you think i'm making the term up or something. :P
I saw the same article, assumed that was what you were talking about.
yeah, i've seen the term used a few other places too. hopefully it's not something that lasts. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

They ain't kidding about the A-24 trailers either. They're consistently excellent.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

Prestige horror? It needs artsy folk to really like it and to be all foofy to be in that category. :?
I'll take a shitty, gritty or cheesy flick over that pompous made up category.

As for why I like horror?
I like it because it is the best damn genre of movies.
I love horror because everything about it makes me happy. A simple way to put it but the truth. :D
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

zombie wrote: so, as fans, what makes it your favorite? or if not your favorite, what about it resonates with you? what holds your interest? what keeps you coming back to the genre?

Character development. I like seeing humanity and I think horror flicks, good horror flicks, give us a little bit of humanity at its best in the most dire of times. I like seeing people endure hardships and come out better for it.

And then sometimes I just really like seeing assholes die horrible and painful deaths because too many of them get away with too much shit in the real world.
I started an erotic writing podcast with a friend
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:i haven't seen a given definition, just some films that are categorized that way. and that it's because of acclaim for the movies.
Seems to me it’s not so much about the acclaim of the movie, but it’s horror flicks that are not just about the blood and guts and scares and thrills, but they have some kind of deeper, more profound meaning or theme to them. As if that is somehow been devoid of horror flicks until now. :roll:
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:i haven't seen a given definition, just some films that are categorized that way. and that it's because of acclaim for the movies.
Seems to me it’s not so much about the acclaim of the movie, but it’s horror flicks that are not just about the blood and guts and scares and thrills, but they have some kind of deeper, more profound meaning or theme to them. As if that is somehow been devoid of horror flicks until now. :roll:
yeah, there have always been horror with a deeper meaning, along with the fun sleazy gory stuff. it still bothers me. :P
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:so, "prestige horror" is a thing now. because apparently just getting some critical acclaim deserves it's own subcategory, within the genre. horror is largely seen as a garbage genre by the mainstream. so, as fans, what makes it your favorite? or if not your favorite, what about it resonates with you? what holds your interest? what keeps you coming back to the genre?
2 things. Blood. And Gore.

:)

Tits never hurts either.