The October Challenge Discussion Thread 2018

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Monster
Charter Member

Re: The October Challenge Discussion Thread 2018

Post by Monster »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Monster wrote:now I'm reading that something happened during or after the credits. I hate this post credits shit. Fuck off, Marvel.
...I stayed till the end credits and didn't see nothing...the fuq?
Weird. I guess they were full of shit. Glad to hear I didn't miss anything.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Monster wrote:now I'm reading that something happened during or after the credits. I hate this post credits shit. Fuck off, Marvel.
Oh, I'm reading it's not what's seen but what's heard.
the spoils
Michael breathing
Ah. Okay so nothing mindblowing. Thanks.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Gonna watch Halloween 2018 again saturday. I really liked it, but we had really drunk rude motherfuckers behind us in the audience heckling and laughing.

Two negs stood out to me: The opening credits was really awkwardly placed. I liked the opening credits themselves, they should've just placed it at the front of the movie. And 2: I'm not really satisfied by that climax. I don't know what was shot before, but while it's not a bad climax, I liked the cat-n-mouse bit going on, but by the end I just kinda shrugged. They are minor nitpicks, and hovering around on the grade so I'll leave it ungraded for now until after the second watch.

Also, the boyfriend of one of the girls is NOT anywhere as funny as many early reviews claimed, saying he steals the show (he doesn't, but I blame those early reviewers and not the movie for that). In fact it's not even a horror comedy like some made it sound like, it's still fucking serious, just some things are funny in the movie, but not in a dumb jokey way. The kid being babysat: he was fucking funny.
Steals the show? I barely noticed them.
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

Really torn on Caught. I was bored in the beginning but liked it when it got interesting. Then I both hated and loved the ending.

I think I would have liked a little more reveal though.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Saw The Territory (1981).

Utterly hated it. Worst film of the month, without debate.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Monster wrote:
Oh, I'm reading it's not what's seen but what's heard.
the spoils
Michael breathing
Ah. Okay so nothing mindblowing. Thanks.
Yeah I didn't think much of it because that appears on previous soundtracks. Halloween II specifically. I think that's just people making more out of what's meant to be.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jigsaw wrote:Saw The Territory (1981).

Dayum!
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

Dangit!
Didn't realize I had seen Dead of Night until the last story of the trilogy. :oops:
I hate that "Oh crap"moment when you realize it isn't a new watch.
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

Hehehe. While filling in my tally I realized I watched 3 films from 1982 today! Damn. One hell of a movie year!
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Mr. Wrong (1984), from New Zealand, was pretty decent, albeit a bit on the sluggish side and light on kills.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Zombie, what did you think about Berberian Sound Studio? I wanted so much to like it, but I was left completely in the dark as to what was actually happening, and that deeply hampered my enjoyment.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jigsaw wrote:Saw The Territory (1981).

Dayum!
I will say, I hate films that don't give an inkling of explanation to utterly bizarre circumstances, and it doesn't help that I'm still sick (this sore throat is the fucking worst), so maybe I was a bit too harsh to this one, but the 1/10 I gave it in my review still seems justified. What a waste of a movie.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Been watching Stephen King's It miniseries on actual tv. This fucker is taking up a 5 hour time block. That means there's 2 hours of commercials crammed in.

Correction: 4 and a half our block.
flyingspider

Post by flyingspider »

Ok, not happy here..after three days of on and off watching of the movie Passed the Door of Darkness (2008) in a horror pack I had, and finally finishing it, I now go to IMDB and
find they say it is a Thriller, instead. I am less than thrilled. I know I am not doing well this year, but this just is not right.

Sigh.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

flyingspider wrote:Ok, not happy here..after three days of on and off watching of the movie Passed the Door of Darkness (2008) in a horror pack I had, and finally finishing it, I now go to IMDB and
find they say it is a Thriller, instead. I am less than thrilled. I know I am not doing well this year, but this just is not right.

Sigh.
Did you think it was horror while you were watching it? Cause that's all that matters really.
flyingspider

Post by flyingspider »

Monster wrote:
flyingspider wrote:Ok, not happy here..after three days of on and off watching of the movie Passed the Door of Darkness (2008) in a horror pack I had, and finally finishing it, I now go to IMDB and

Sigh.
Did you think it was horror while you were watching it? Cause that's all that matters really.
With the kind of kills that were in it, (without giving anything away) yes, not a slasher type..but I had thought it qualified as horror.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Then to hell with imdb.Count it.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Been watching Stephen King's It miniseries on actual tv. This fucker is taking up a 5 hour time block. That means there's 2 hours of commercials crammed in.

Pop it in the DVD player.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Been watching Stephen King's It miniseries on actual tv. This fucker is taking up a 5 hour time block. That means there's 2 hours of commercials crammed in.

Pop it in the DVD player.
Felt too lazy tonight. Plus my dvd's getting prrrreeeeety worn.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Are you playing frisbee with it? :P