The October Challenge Discussion Thread 2018

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Re: The October Challenge Discussion Thread 2018

Post by Tiggnutz »

I want a beach house named Comfort Station 8-)
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:Devil's Rejects would have been the obvious choice.
More Zombie is never the answer
point taken. :P
Tigg is just mean with unrefined taste. Hmph!
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Zombs is one of my H2 brothers, he is always the answer.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

H2 is good. Devil's Rejects was great. Halloween and H1kC were pretty bad. He's definitely one of those directors who won't compromise his "vision" even when his interests are weird as fuck and ideas terrible.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Similar to what you said about H1kC, I thought 31 would be great, should've been great, letting his vision, interests and ideas fly. It wasn't. I think we all know he's got a lot in the tank, but someone has to ground him or summat. Not a studio for fuck sake, that obviously didn't work with Halloween, but someone to really keep him on point.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i thought that lords of salem had good horror atmosphere, but no follow through. i'm not big on the devil's rejects. 31 was decent. and h2 is awesome. the rest i don't care to mention. :P
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I only watched H2 once i will give it another try maybe after Creepshow
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Reign in Blood wrote:Similar to what you said about H1kC, I thought 31 would be great, should've been great, letting his vision, interests and ideas fly. It wasn't. I think we all know he's got a lot in the tank, but someone has to ground him or summat. Not a studio for fuck sake, that obviously didn't work with Halloween, but someone to really keep him on point.
31 was extremely low budget, almost wasn't even made. But I've always been the thought that Zombie's true weak spot is his writing. Visually, he's pretty excellent, and does manage to get good performances out of actors. I'm very curious how it'd turn out if he directed someone else's script.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

zombie wrote:i thought that lords of salem had good horror atmosphere, but no follow through.
Totally, then flopped hard in the 3rd act, and especially the climax.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Halloween II (2009) second viewing :|
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Lucky you. I'm watching the cunting Broncos.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote:Halloween II (2009) second viewing :|
This is garbage how can anyone think this is good? It's astounding the level of shitty the writing and directing is in this. Scout Taylor-Compton should be glad Sheri Moon is in this someone with the same acting skill level NONE! Travesty of film making something I would expect from a 13 year old.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

No accounting for taste.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Tiggnutz wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:Halloween II (2009) second viewing :|
This is garbage how can anyone think this is good? It's astounding the level of shitty the writing and directing is in this. Scout Taylor-Compton should be glad Sheri Moon is in this someone with the same acting skill level NONE! Travesty of film making something I would expect from a 13 year old.
Very well acted by most (especially Douriff who gives what I think is a top 5 performance of his here), Scout's fine, visuals are consistently strong, pretty good sequences built up and mostly followed through (the climax is pretty crap, in both versions), and some that are are actually intense sequences (the best, imo, is when Laurie gets out of the hospital and the suspense builds up in and around the guard shack, excellent scene). Good grainy cinematography mixed with Tyler Bates' score, which is much better handled here than his attempt in the first movie where he didn't even seem to know where the fuck to put themes. I liked seeing Michael change up his outfit and roaming, mainly because it was different and since RZ's Michael was a bit more grounded (less machine shark-like) it made sense. I also enjoy the scene where he is confronted walking across the farm property. Great make-up FX, Wayne Toth is sorely overlooked in that department. That early hospital scene where the doctors are fixing the wounds is a make-up FX beauty. Dig the Halloween Party, and actually felt like a real halloween party. Hit or miss with me with making Loomis a blood-money-hungry asshole, because they knew they couldn't do classic Loomis so it was pretty ballsy going in that direction. McDowell plays it well given that's the intent, but damn I miss old Loomis. Yes the overall writing is bunk though, something consistent with Rob. Excellent visual stylist in need of a good script. It's like watching Zack Snyder with a much smaller budget :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jesus fucking Christ, Tigg...
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Headhunter wrote:Jesus fucking Christ, Tigg...
lol
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I'm sorry this is terrible I'm just repulsed by his writing and directing style which is basically deep stab wound sounds the word "Fuck" and repetitive grainy slow motion shots. Yucky
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Tiggnutz wrote:I'm sorry this is terrible I'm just repulsed by his writing and directing style which is basically deep stab wound sounds the word "Fuck" and repetitive grainy slow motion shots. Yucky
Why are you having a Rob Zombie marathon if you hate Rob Zombie is what I'm curious about
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Headhunter wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:I'm sorry this is terrible I'm just repulsed by his writing and directing style which is basically deep stab wound sounds the word "Fuck" and repetitive grainy slow motion shots. Yucky
Why are you having a Rob Zombie marathon if you hate Rob Zombie is what I'm curious about
I want to understand and everything deserves a second watch
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Tiggnutz wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
I want to understand and everything deserves a second watch
Well life is too short for that to be true, but alright.