Cop Who Murdered Philando Castile Acquitted

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Cop Who Murdered Philando Castile Acquitted

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:So far in all his disgusting smearing, Foo has yet to make a case that they weren't innocent victims. He's trying really hard but he just can't get there.
and at the same time trying to make this out to be an indictment of police.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Headhunter wrote:So far in all his disgusting smearing, Foo has yet to make a case that they weren't innocent victims. He's trying really hard but he just can't get there.
I am not trying hard at all. A judge and jury have ruled. They may be victims, but that does not necessarily mean there was a crime and that they did not play a large part in their own demise.

Again, patterns of stupid and aggressive behavior in all these cases. Try for a moment to put yourself in the position of a police officer. It is not a video game where you get second chances after someone stabs you in the neck or shoots you.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vq_k0yqq88
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
now we're gonna use (fictional) religious extremists as the example to follow? :P
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Foo wrote:
I am not trying hard at all. A judge and jury have ruled. They may be victims, but that does not necessarily mean there was a crime and that they did not play a large part in their own demise.

Again, patterns of stupid and aggressive behavior in all these cases. Try for a moment to put yourself in the position of a police officer. It is not a video game where you get second chances after someone stabs you in the neck or shoots you.
Pretty much my point in its entirety.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
now we're gonna use (fictional) religious extremists as the example to follow? :P
Oh come on, you know that was good for the whole victims vs. murderer etc. shit. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

showa58taro wrote:
Foo wrote:

Say what? You agreeing with Foo?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Oh come on, you know that was good for the whole victims vs. murderer etc. shit. :P
yeah, it was a pretty good jab.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Reign in Blood wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Foo wrote:

Say what? You agreeing with Foo?
Yes. I think he's right in the fact that most of these do end in in Ice t verdicts because there is a lot of leeway for police. And in most cases there's an element of a potential for harm which police currently approach with extreme prejudice.

Where we will differ is that he thinks this is fine. I think this shows there needs to be a different way/approach.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:

i think you have to take the single incident as it is. unless the cop(s) involved knew that that person had a violent past. you can't just throw any past info at it, to try to make something stick.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
I'm not entirely convinced Foo wouldn't be a fan of a bible-thumping John Doe-filled police force
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Foo's argument is nonsensical, 20/20 hindsight kind of thinking. That cop didn't know a single thing about Castile before he shot him. It's okay because it turns out he's been pulled over a lot? I get pulled over 2-3 times a year, never really considered the possibility that it justifies me being killed.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
It wasn't meant as a jab, but there is nuance and gray to this shit.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
I don't even think Philando Castile would qualify for John Doe's list. Smokes pot and possibly not a great driver. That's literally me.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
agreed. i think that head and seb are pretty nuanced with their arguments.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I'm sure they don't see nuance in my posts. Irresponsibly pawn it off as cop hating? Oh definitely.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
When I said gray I was talking about the quote box.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
I don't even think Philando Castile would qualify for John Doe's list. Smokes pot and possibly not a great driver. That's literally me.
If Foo was a cop he would have shot you ages ago, bro.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
When I said gray I was talking about the quote box.
Innocence doesn't exist in a vacuum. So what is the crime we're retroactively putting him on trial for by justifying his killing?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
If Foo was a cop he would have shot you ages ago, bro.
You have no idea how lucky I am that police around UCLA had the sense to let us just be kids. I've walked out of some pretty compromising situations. Roll down the window, weed smoke comes rushing out into the cop's face kinda compromising.