Cop Who Murdered Philando Castile Acquitted

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Foo
Administrator

Re: Cop Who Murdered Philando Castile Acquitted

Post by Foo »

showa58taro wrote:
Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
zombie wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
Headhunter wrote:You guys think this country started in 1964. I would argue it didn't, but who's to say really?
Is the point of this to imply we are ignorant of history? You can just paint everyone a bubble living racist if you want that really makes no sense to me. The narrative of social equality is different than it was even 20 years ago.
foo and jason are implying that people are ignorant, claiming they live in a bubble. let's call them out as well?
They both gave examples of people being judged differently because of the color of their skin I agree with those examples. Equally means equally it's the only way this thing can work.
everyone of us wants equality. let's not insinuate otherwise.
Exactly, the whole point is about creating a level playing field. That's the goal for both sides here. It's a question of how, not what.
Because creating inequality of opportunity for a different group is sure to lead to equality!

What are you willing to personally give up to get there?
I'd like to think that I don't have to personally yield anything. It should be guys like you who take the hit here. I'm Swedish.
Easy to give away other people's money, labor, and property.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Foo wrote:Because creating inequality of opportunity for a different group is sure to lead to equality!

What are you willing to personally give up to get there?
I'd like to think that I don't have to personally yield anything. It should be guys like you who take the hit here. I'm Swedish.
Easy to give away other people's money, labor, and property.
Also more efficient, as you can do that en masse. Individually I have none of the ability to solve the issues that we as a society can solve when its directed from the top.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:the two of you, as an example, could have an interesting conversation on it, i'm sure?
It could be an interesting echo chamber. :D
you don't think you and head have different takes on things? i've butted heads with you a couple of times, and we're both supposed to be batshit liberals.
I think I have a very different perspective from you and Head, definitely. I just meant that, at least on the acknowledgement that there are race issues, we'd both go "yeah there are" and then nod.
I think that kind of sums it up for me too, I guess. End of the day, shit is always going to boil down to "White man bad. Poor minorities". Got it, thanks for reminding me yet again.
Don't be pulling a Jason with this white guilt straw man.
I have no white guilt. And don't give me that shit, when Seb will trot in time and again and say it's literally impossible for anyone but a white man to be racist or some such shit. Make way for the bad guys.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:the two of you, as an example, could have an interesting conversation on it, i'm sure?
you don't think you and head have different takes on things? i've butted heads with you a couple of times, and we're both supposed to be batshit liberals.
I think I have a very different perspective from you and Head, definitely. I just meant that, at least on the acknowledgement that there are race issues, we'd both go "yeah there are" and then nod.
I think that kind of sums it up for me too, I guess. End of the day, shit is always going to boil down to "White man bad. Poor minorities". Got it, thanks for reminding me yet again.
I have no white guilt. I don't give me that shit, when Seb will trot in time and again and say it's literally impossible for anyone but a white man to be racist or some such shit. Make way for the bad guys.
i don't think seb has ever said that. and i hate the argument that if you're part of a minority, you can't be racist. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:White men enjoyed the benefits of affirmative action in this country for 350 years, not regulated by the state but socialized discrimination so
Agreed. I think it's hard for some to relate to 350 years ago though. Not me though, I always wanted to at least live back in the old west and be like Doc Holliday and Billy the Kid and shit.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
I have no white guilt. I don't give me that shit, when Seb will trot in time and again and say it's literally impossible for anyone but a white man to be racist or some such shit. Make way for the bad guys.
i don't think seb has ever said that. and i hate the argument that if you're part of a minority, you can't be racist. :P
I did say or some such shit, and thinking back I think it was more so that a minority can't possibly be racist towards a white man. For sure, Jason has pointed out a person of color doing some blatantly repugnant shit to a white man and he's said it's not racist or a hate crime etc.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I'm pretty sure the distinction was not about Racism. You can definitely be racist towards a white guy. I am not sure if the argument may have been about hate crimes. But I can't recall what he argument would've been.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote: I did say or some such shit, and thinking back I think it was more so that a minority can't possibly be racist towards a white man. For sure, Jason has pointed out a person of color doing some blatantly repugnant shit to a white man and he's said it's not racist or a hate crime etc.
that's possible. he likes to argue things from a legal standpoint sometimes, and maybe whatever incident didn't seem to have a racial element to it, for him.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote: I did say or some such shit, and thinking back I think it was more so that a minority can't possibly be racist towards a white man. For sure, Jason has pointed out a person of color doing some blatantly repugnant shit to a white man and he's said it's not racist or a hate crime etc.
that's possible. he likes to argue things from a legal standpoint sometimes, and maybe whatever incident didn't seem to have a racial element to it, for him.
Whatever it was, his stance was fucking bullshit, I can tell you that! :P :!: :arrow:
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Whatever it was, it was fucking bullshit, I can tell you that! :P :!: :arrow:
did i agree or disagree with him, from what you can recall? now i'm gonna have to go look through the political topics on the other board. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

One I know for sure that blew up with that (and it wasn't the only one), was the old white guy getting beat up by a bunch of black thugs and them trying to steal his car, with the chick filming egging it on with "He's a Trump Supporter!".

Seb was all "Not racism, not a hate crime. Nothing to see here, he deserved it". And everyone was all hell nah! Even you, zombs! :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:One I know for sure that blew up with that (and it wasn't the only one), was the old white guy getting beat up by a bunch of black thugs and them trying to steal his car, with the chick filming egging it on with "He's a Trump Supporter!".

Seb was all "Not racism, not a hate crime. Nothing to see here, he deserved it". And everyone was all hell nah! Even you, zombs! :P
i don't wanna talk about the car incident again... *goes to hide from everyone*
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

He said it couldn't be a hate crime because the victim was white. :lol:
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Tiggnutz said:
I saw a bunch of Chicago black thugs beating and robbing an old white man for voting Trump is that the hate crime you are talking about?

Sebastian Taro Groth said:
No, I am unsure legally speaking, but I don't think that classes as a hate crime, as a white guy isn't a minority.

Still a crime, though, and disgusting and deplorable behaviour by the thugs in question, who should categorically be locked up.

But the crime that's been reported on more is anti-Muslim and anti-LGBTQ actions, graffiti, and rhetoric heard out and about. Most of it anecdotal and so possibly hyperbolic. But agrees to a trend in the UK following Brexit that makes it hard to dismiss. <-- from the other board. probably what tigg is referencing at least. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Tiggnutz wrote:
Headhunter wrote:You guys think this country started in 1964. I would argue it didn't, but who's to say really?
Is the point of this to imply we are ignorant of history? You can just paint everyone a bubble living racist if you want that really makes no sense to me. The narrative of social equality is different than it was even 20 years ago.
This made no sense.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:White men enjoyed the benefits of affirmative action in this country for 350 years, not regulated by the state but socialized discrimination so
Agreed. I think it's hard for some to relate to 350 years ago though. Not me though, I always wanted to at least live back in the old west and be like Doc Holliday and Billy the Kid and shit.
350 years ago =/= 350 years and you know that, and also I was always partial to being a bootlegger in Hollywood in the 1920s.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

For all the shit I got for not sticking with the legal definition of "murder", Seb is technically correct in his assessment of what a hate crime legally is, which I think was his point. Which doesn't mean white people can't face racism.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Headhunter wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
This made no sense.
I didn't call anyone a racist, put that card down. My 1964 quip is that you guys act like Civil Rights legislation immediately leveled the playing field socially, economically, and politically and no pre-1964 context that created the conditions AAs live in in this country matter. That makes no sense.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote:One I know for sure that blew up with that (and it wasn't the only one), was the old white guy getting beat up by a bunch of black thugs and them trying to steal his car, with the chick filming egging it on with "He's a Trump Supporter!".

I recall two incidents. The one you mentioned with the black mob beating the hell out of that white dude for voting Trump, and the one where those black kids beat the holy hell out of a mentally retarded white kid.

Before the story broke on the mentally handicapped kid, one of the horse shit media news outlets (CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC) only aired part of the audio and deliberately tried to make it seem like, through the reporter's own commentary, that it was actually white people harming a black kid or some shit.

Not entirely sure who defended it, but it does sound familiar that Seb dismissed it and said that neither incident was racially motivated, or some shit. Could be wrong, but it rings a bell.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:For all the shit I got for not sticking with the legal definition of "murder", Seb is technically correct in his assessment of what a hate crime legally is, which I think was his point. Which doesn't mean white people can't face racism.
i think he was right technically from a legal standpoint. but the legal definition of hate should be updated a bit, is what i found.