Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Jmac Attack »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

Totally fucking wicked. Marc Dacascos was excellent.
I still need to see part two. The OG John Wick was probably the best action film I've ever watched. Since you've seen all three now, how would you rank them?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Jmac Attack wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

Totally fucking wicked. Marc Dacascos was excellent.
I still need to see part two. The OG John Wick was probably the best action film I've ever watched. Since you've seen all three now, how would you rank them?
I don't know, they're all fantastic. 3 does have that slight Marc edge though, so some bias could be there.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

You know, with seeing what the John Wick series can do, especially with some of the violence in the first 15 minutes of John Wick 3, it's terrible that they have to censor Horror films so much. Like they had to cut out the eye scenes in both Slender Man and Truth Or Dare? but with John Wick it doesn't shy away from it. The MPAA are fucking weird at times. I guess self inflicted is much great than being inflicted by another person.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Havok wrote:You know, with seeing what the John Wick series can do, especially with some of the violence in the first 15 minutes of John Wick 3, it's terrible that they have to censor Horror films so much. Like they had to cut out the eye scenes in both Slender Man and Truth Or Dare? but with John Wick it doesn't shy away from it. The MPAA are fucking weird at times. I guess self inflicted is much great than being inflicted by another person.
I'd give anything for a release of F13 New Blood the way it was intended. So much hard work thrown down the drain by the MPAA. So frustrating.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Man. John Wick 3 was really epic. Yayan Ruhian yet again just steals scenes by being the scariest thing on celluloid somehow. Maybe it’s crediting him with some of what comes out of The Raid, but the fight with him and his partner vs Wick is pure magic.

D is right, MarcDacascos plays it brilliantly. The only thing that bugs me is that his Japanese SUCKS. Like, get a voice coach or something. It’s 4 lines. No reason to get them wrong.

But all told I agree with D, great entry, and probably better than 2. The violence still has a bit of CGI-ism to it, soknufe fights and hand-to-hand works best. But it’s still epic fun.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

The general consensus I'm getting for John Wick is 1, 3, 2 in that order. I've only seen the first and Keanu is a fuckin' bad ass.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I'd put 1 at the end actually. I typically heard from most that they preferred 2 over 1.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I'd put 1 at the end actually. I typically heard from most that they preferred 2 over 1.
Really? I got a few of those, but I've seen a lot that have 1 over 2 and some that say 2 just sucked. But I still need to see.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Pretty cool seeing a John Wick movie finally open at number 1, unseating an Avengers movie no less, too.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Jason wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I'd put 1 at the end actually. I typically heard from most that they preferred 2 over 1.
Really? I got a few of those, but I've seen a lot that have 1 over 2 and some that say 2 just sucked. But I still need to see.
I prefer 1 but 2 absolutely does not suck. It's a bit more cartoonish as it opens up on a wider world and every other person is an assassin. But it's so badass that it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Brightburn

I thought this was decent even though the story is just Superman, but evil. Once the kid figures out his powers it basically turns into a slasher movie where he takes out people who make him mad. A couple cool gory moments and the ending is rather dark.

It's not perfect. I did have a few problems with it. Like if you don't want people to talk to the sheriff, just go after the sheriff, but I guess we wouldn't get an interesting death scene during the finale then would we? Also, the scene with his Father in the woods, like if you know that about your son, why do you think THAT would have an effect? It's still an entertaining watch, I do wish they went a bit darker in it's execution and like a moral dilemma between him being good or evil. It probably would've had more of an impact on the story and key scenes.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Watched the SyFy original The Sandman (2017) for the second time today.

Oh boy, what a treat. 3.5/10. Full review to come in three to five months. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

You watched a 3.5/10 movie twice in one day...
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote:You watched a 3.5/10 movie twice in one day...
No, I first saw the film back in October 2017, though re-reading my post, I see how that's not clear. Saw it for the second time, being today.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Godzilla - King of the Monsters

The decision to keep cutting from the epic final battle to the human characters was baffling and annoying. Who bought a ticket to see a family drama? No one.
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

Monster wrote:Godzilla - King of the Monsters

The decision to keep cutting from the epic final battle to the human characters was baffling and annoying. Who bought a ticket to see a family drama? No one.
Haven't seen this one yet. Might next weekend. Hope it is good.

My last one watched had to be John Wick 3. That was fun! Loved the knife fighting with all those cases. Good lord. Halle Berry must be sacrificing babies. She looks GORGEOUS!
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

The Dead Don't Die (2019)

Huge misfire. I don't have a problem with dead pan humor, I dug The Greasy Strangler and it's odd sense of comedy, but this film was like trying to flush a turd down the toilet but it just keeps circling the bowl. Characters and story lines that literally go nowhere. Self Referential humor and semi 4th wall breaking felt unwarranted and not earned. Don't expect much out of this one if you're a zombie fan either. Overall, this is just a long drawn out masturbation session and the end result wasn't a Peter North blast.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Havok wrote:The Dead Don't Die (2019)

Huge misfire. I don't have a problem with dead pan humor, I dug The Greasy Strangler and it's odd sense of comedy, but this film was like trying to flush a turd down the toilet but it just keeps circling the bowl. Characters and story lines that literally go nowhere. Self Referential humor and semi 4th wall breaking felt unwarranted and not earned. Don't expect much out of this one if you're a zombie fan either. Overall, this is just a long drawn out masturbation session and the end result wasn't a Peter North blast.
I have not heard one good thing about this movie yet :cry:
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Me neither. I've heard it's slow, unfunny, and heavy handed with its environmental message.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i wish us had ended differently. and that's all.