Random Political Comments

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Jason's Random Political Comments

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:Do you consider the concept of white privilege to be personally offensive?

it bothers me, but i can acknowledge that as part of the majority in this country, i likely may have some potential benefits, indirectly, that others may not have.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:do you think that some people make assumptions about a person and lash out, simply because they have black skin? if so, why is it so hard to believe that it happens because someone has white skin too?
Didn't say only white people can be racist.
but not that some may blame you for shit because they associate you with the reason they are struggling?
Are you asking if I think it's possible? Sure, it's possible. Haven't seen it.
fair. you haven't seen it. that's anecdotal but i can trust you. i guess it's too far to trust that others have seen it though.
Must be some articles/videos online that confirm this phenomenon, right?
i'm sure there are examples recorded online. what makes it so unbelievable that that could be directed at some white people, when it clearly happens toward minorities?
What makes it unbelievable is that every example I've seen of white people getting upset about this kind of thing was just them not being able to distinguish between themselves as individuals being personally responsible, and centuries long mechanisms of a white-dominant power structure being responsible. I don't even understand why people are so predisposed to feeling like they're being blamed. It's kind of an immature point of view, instead of rationally looking at an issue we just look for the quickest way to absolve ourselves? Come on.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Do you consider the concept of white privilege to be personally offensive?

it bothers me, but i can acknowledge that as part of the majority in this country, i likely may have some potential benefits, indirectly, that others may not have.
I do when is such a generalization ok
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Tiggnutz wrote:
zombie wrote:

Society has been structured by these dynamics already, it's fair to evaluate the outcomes of that.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Headhunter wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
zombie wrote:

Society has been structured by these dynamics already, it's fair to evaluate the outcomes of that.
Kinda insulting to black people as I read it
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Tiggnutz wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
zombie wrote:

Agreed, the hand they were dealt is very insulting. And even more insulting that people deny it or refuse to acknowledge it.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote: What makes it unbelievable is that every example I've seen of white people getting upset about this kind of thing was just them not being able to distinguish between themselves as individuals being personally responsible, and centuries long mechanisms of a white-dominant power structure being responsible. I don't even understand why people are so predisposed to feeling like they're being blamed. It's kind of an immature point of view, instead of rationally looking at an issue we just look for the quickest way to absolve ourselves? Come on.
if someone tells you that you have white privilege, what is their purpose if not to blame you as part of a group? what is their intent? what do they expect of you, in telling you that?

if this happens in a more public space, on a broadcast. etc. then it's a whole different thing. that's not what i'm asking about.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote: What makes it unbelievable is that every example I've seen of white people getting upset about this kind of thing was just them not being able to distinguish between themselves as individuals being personally responsible, and centuries long mechanisms of a white-dominant power structure being responsible. I don't even understand why people are so predisposed to feeling like they're being blamed. It's kind of an immature point of view, instead of rationally looking at an issue we just look for the quickest way to absolve ourselves? Come on.
if someone tells you that you have white privilege, what is their purpose if not to blame you as part of a group? what is their intent? what do they expect of you, in telling you that?

if this happens in a more public space, on a broadcast. etc. then it's a whole different thing. that's not what i'm asking about.
That would depend on the context, wouldn't it? It could be them opening my eyes to some dynamic I didn't understand that's different for them in life. In which case, good to know. If, as I guess you're suggesting, someone is aggressively berating me for having white privilege, is my day supposed to be ruined or something? Like, sure, I benefit from white privilege, but what do you want me to do about it? Honestly, what do I care what they think if that's how they're going to approach me. I'm not afraid of them, intimidated by them or affected by them.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote: That would depend on the context, wouldn't it? It could be them opening my eyes to some dynamic I didn't understand that's different for them in life. In which case, good to know. If, as I guess you're suggesting, someone is aggressively berating me for having white privilege, is my day supposed to be ruined or something? Like, sure, I benefit from white privilege, but what do you want me to do about it? Honestly, what do I care what they think or how they get their message across?
you're shrugging it off when people blame you as part of a larger group based on some part of your identity. i hope that we all can get there.

and maybe take people as individuals (or specific group as in cops of a certain city, as an example), take them on their words and on their actions, rather than on the actions of people that share traits with them.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Headhunter wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
zombie wrote:

Agreed, the hand they were dealt is very insulting. And even more insulting that people deny it or refuse to acknowledge it.
Sorry but that sounds like social justice warrior twitter crap. In Baltimore most black people don't consider themselves special needs they just want there neighborhood treated like everyone elses so they can just live life.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote: That would depend on the context, wouldn't it? It could be them opening my eyes to some dynamic I didn't understand that's different for them in life. In which case, good to know. If, as I guess you're suggesting, someone is aggressively berating me for having white privilege, is my day supposed to be ruined or something? Like, sure, I benefit from white privilege, but what do you want me to do about it? Honestly, what do I care what they think or how they get their message across?
you're shrugging it off when people blame you as part of a larger group based on some part of your identity. i hope that we all can get there.

and maybe take people as individuals (or specific group as in cops of a certain city, as an example), take them on their words and on their actions, rather than on the actions of people that share traits with them.
I'm shrugging it off because I can. Some dips hit crying white privilege to me does nothing. Someone being directly racist or bigoted to another person is a far different and scarier thing.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Tiggnutz wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
zombie wrote:

Sorry but that sounds like social justice warrior twitter crap. In Baltimore most black people don't consider themselves special needs they just want there neighborhood treated like everyone elses so they can just live life.
No, it's "real life dynamics with lots of historical evidence to back it up" crap. Not sure what the rest of your post has to do with anything, definitely not any point I've made.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

I'm shrugging it off because I can. Some dips hit crying white privilege to me does nothing. Someone being directly racist or bigoted to another person is a far different and scarier thing.
agreed. using your fists, or force in some other way, to express your bigotry or racism is when things actually get scary. or your voice/words to try to influence others toward physical bigotry or racism can also be scary.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I think constantly telling people that they are subpar and what they do is just what they have to do to survive is the worst thing that could of ever happened to black America.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

agreed. using your fists, or force in some other way, to express your bigotry or racism is when things actually get scary. or your voice/words to try to influence others toward physical bigotry or racism can also be scary.
This is why the right needs the Antifa boogeyman. We know how fucking crazy the extreme right is, they're establishe. For conservatives, complaining about how oppressed you are when people from a keyboard call you privileged only goes so far before people realize the charade.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Tiggnutz wrote:I think constantly telling people that they are subpar and what they do is just what they have to do to survive is the worst thing that could of ever happened to black America.
Slavery, convict leasing and Jim Crow were merely slight inconveniences in comparison.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Tiggnutz wrote:I think constantly telling people that they are subpar and what they do is just what they have to do to survive is the worst thing that could of ever happened to black America.
Indeed, racism is pretty demoralizing and awful.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote: This is why the right needs the Antifa boogeyman. We know how fucking crazy the extreme right is, they're establishe. For conservatives, complaining about how oppressed you are when people from a keyboard call you privileged only goes so far before people realize the charade.
any political or religious group at the extreme can be fucking crazy. calling violent leftists "boogeyman" is the same as calling white supremacists a hoax, as far as i can see.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote: This is why the right needs the Antifa boogeyman. We know how fucking crazy the extreme right is, they're establishe. For conservatives, complaining about how oppressed you are when people from a keyboard call you privileged only goes so far before people realize the charade.
any political or religious group at the extreme can be fucking crazy. calling violent leftists "boogeyman" is the same as calling white supremacists a hoax, as far as i can see.
Well, you should try to see a little farther because that's utter nonsense.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Well, you should try to see a little farther because that's utter nonsense.
:P