Random Political Comments

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Random Political Comments

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:Guys, you also need to take note, a big part of the enjoyment I got from listening to Taylor's music was that she was a voice for the average young girl and their daily struggles, kinda in the same way that Springsteen is the voice for the hard-working, forgotten people of America. I loved that she didn't let mainstream celebrity status ruin her and lecture people politically in her music, despite that I knew full well the last thing she ever said politically was "Republicans do it better". She grew up in a Conservative house and even believing she was always a Conservative, I was glad she kept politics out of it. It's one thing to be political, it's another thing to lecture people about politics. That's the difference, here. There's no rationale in leftist celebrity politics. If you don't agree, you hate gays and non-whites. I was always kind of waiting for her to come out publicly with her shift in politics. Once we saw her hanging out with Lena Dunham, you knew it was all over. You guys can't say this sudden shift in her music and the way she carries herself publicly isn't noticeable. She used to be a shy little sweetheart, whether giving speeches, meeting fans or performing live. Just take a look at her weird political speech she gave when she won the award. She's cocky, sarcastic, snarky, condescending. You don't even need to push play, you can already see it in the thumbnail. Definitely not the Taylor I became a fan of.

She had a hell of a run, though.
you don't like her lecturing people. (crowder was a struggling actor turned comedian. he lectures people) but i understand feeling less interested if she's getting more political with her lyrics. that bites. i haven't heard the new album, so i don't know how different it is or not.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:Guys, you also need to take note, a big part of the enjoyment I got from listening to Taylor's music was that she was a voice for the average young girl and their daily struggles, kinda in the same way that Springsteen is the voice for the hard-working, forgotten people of America. I loved that she didn't let mainstream celebrity status ruin her and lecture people politically in her music, despite that I knew full well the last thing she ever said politically was "Republicans do it better". She grew up in a Conservative house and even believing she was always a Conservative, I was glad she kept politics out of it. It's one thing to be political, it's another thing to lecture people about politics. That's the difference, here. There's no rationale in leftist celebrity politics. If you don't agree, you hate gays and non-whites. I was always kind of waiting for her to come out publicly with her shift in politics. Once we saw her hanging out with Lena Dunham, you knew it was all over. You guys can't say this sudden shift in her music and the way she carries herself publicly isn't noticeable. She used to be a shy little sweetheart, whether giving speeches, meeting fans or performing live. Just take a look at her weird political speech she gave when she won the award. She's cocky, sarcastic, snarky, condescending. You don't even need to push play, you can already see it in the thumbnail. Definitely not the Taylor I became a fan of.

you don't like her lecturing people. (crowder was a struggling actor turned comedian. he lectures people) but i understand feeling less interested if she's getting more political with her lyrics. that bites. i haven't heard the new album, so i don't know how different it is or not.
There's only three songs out, I think. The Calm Down video showcases her politics, big league!

As I've said before about Crowder, I have a love-hate relationship with his content. You can't deny his Change My Mind segments, where he is actually trying to have genuine discussions with people who have opposing viewpoints. The exact opposite of typical leftist celebrities.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:

There's only three songs out, I think. The Calm Down video showcases her politics, big league!

As I've said before about Crowder, I have a love-hate relationship with his content. You can't deny his Change My Mind segments, where he is actually trying to have genuine discussions with people who have opposing viewpoints. The exact opposite of typical leftist celebrities.
i kind of like the change my mind stuff, but it's also only a pretext of trying to actually have a conversation or genuine debate.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

as a song, you need to calm down is very much like shake it off. *shrug*
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Shake It Off is a much more positive song. Calm Down is a much more negative song.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i mean one is her talking about she's going to not let you get to her. and the other is stop putting her down.. i guess you could see that as negative.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:i mean one is her talking about she's going to not let you get to her. and the other is stop putting her down.. i guess you could see that as negative.
What about "say it in the street, get knocked out"...
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:i mean one is her talking about she's going to not let you get to her. and the other is stop putting her down.. i guess you could see that as negative.
lmao this can't be a serious conversation
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
i think you misheard it, or took it to mean something different than i did. but this is more something for a music thread kind of topic.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

A couple of the issues with Taylor's new music/image as outlined by Jason: having a black boyfriend in a music video, making a song with a pro-LGBTQ message.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

End of the day, I'm just not a fan of the direction she's going with her music.

How long before she chops most of her hair off?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:End of the day, I'm just not a fan of the direction she's going with her music.

:P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:End of the day, I'm just not a fan of the direction she's going with her music.

Is there an image that conveys that makes you uncomfortable?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:

Is there an image that conveys that makes you uncomfortable?
No.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:A couple of the issues with Taylor's new music/image as outlined by Jason: having a black boyfriend in a music video, making a song with a pro-LGBTQ message.
No need for song, just having gay friends gets her on the table.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:cool. her music is her music. her political views are her political views. one doesn't have to do with the other. i hope that more people can be as balanced about it as you are.
Look, ordinarily I'm with you, but she's an entertainer that transcends multiple mediums, and she's splashing that shit all over now. She chose to blend it.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:cool. her music is her music. her political views are her political views. one doesn't have to do with the other. i hope that more people can be as balanced about it as you are.
Look, ordinarily I'm with you, but she's an entertainer that transcends multiple mediums, and she's splashing that shit all over now. She chose to blend it.
yeah, i wasn't aware that it was in her lyrics too. i addressed that when jason brought it to my attention.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

It's not just in her lyrics now, it's in interviews, as well...

Taylor turns 30 this year, a reporter asked if she's considered settling down and starting a family any time soon. Her response?
“I really do not think men are asked that question when they turn 30, so I’m not going to answer that now.”
I've had that question asked of me a million times before I ever turned 30 and I'm not even a celebrity.

She's in other interviews saying women are mistreated, men have everything, blahblahblah. She went from a normal person making creative and relatable music to spewing negative politics all over everybody.

Taylor: You're always gonna have people going, 'did she write all her own songs?'. Talking about your personal life, talking about your dating life. There's a different vocabulary for men and women in the music industry.
Interviewer: Give me an example.
Taylor: Ok. A man does something, it's strategic. A woman does the same thing, it's calculated. A man can react, a woman can only overreact.

That's not an example at all, and I don't mean to fall in line with her generalities, but isn't that a massive overreaction? lol. She's whining about people talking about her personal/dating life while simultaneously airing that dirty laundry out to those same people and makes millions upon millions of dollars out of it, exploiting private shit between her and her exes in those songs. Holy hypocrisy. In the blink of an eye she's become the self-entitled, egotistical, whiny celebrity that I admired her for NOT being.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

she's being asked questions and giving her point of view. blame the interviewer for asking her opinions and mindset? this is all gossip and not really much to get into politically.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

you don't have to like her personality. you don't have to like her music. i gave my view on all of this already. but it's up to you, how you approach public figures and the art that they make.