Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

My avatar is from the Scary Stories books. My first band used the artwork from one of the stories as an album cover. My best friend has a tattoo of some of the artwork from the books. I grew up with that shit and still love it. It's some of the most fucked up kids stories(e.g. a scarecrow that skins people) with some of the best weirdo artwork. I'm looking forward to seeing the film, but don't have time to get to a theater these days, so I'll have to wait.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:My avatar is from the Scary Stories books. My first band used the artwork from one of the stories as an album cover. My best friend has a tattoo of some of the artwork from the books. I grew up with that shit and still love it. It's some of the most fucked up kids stories(e.g. a scarecrow that skins people) with some of the best weirdo artwork. I'm looking forward to seeing the film, but don't have time to get to a theater these days, so I'll have to wait.
It's PG-13, so take that as you will.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:My avatar is from the Scary Stories books. My first band used the artwork from one of the stories as an album cover. My best friend has a tattoo of some of the artwork from the books. I grew up with that shit and still love it. It's some of the most fucked up kids stories(e.g. a scarecrow that skins people) with some of the best weirdo artwork. I'm looking forward to seeing the film, but don't have time to get to a theater these days, so I'll have to wait.
I have always thought it was Grendel from Beowulf.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jmac Attack wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Jason wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Jason wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Jason wrote:Ended up seeing Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised. A pretty simple flick that was quite nicely done. Could've done without the tidbits of invoked racism, though. The scarecrow death was badass, and the "Me Tie Dough-ty Walker" monster was awesome.

Would recommend giving it a go.
Is it horror or for kids?
It's definitely horror. It could be something kids could enjoy. I saw a kid about nine or ten in the theater.
Trailer in the UK made it look a bit like a goosebumps film to me. Hence the question. Not worth my time u feel.

IT chapter two though, very tempted to find a double bill. Looks epic. Trailer is great. The “I’ve craved you . . . I missed you” line is epic.
OK. I thought you were gauging to see if it would be suitable for the kiddos. Not sure where you draw the line with them in regards to horror.
Zero horror until they can go to bed by themselves without being scared. :D
If only you started out by scaring them everytime they went to bed.
Lol. The man has a great point......
If only I’d thought of that. Anja still sleeps with us every night. Elena only so often but still. I’m not adding horror to that mix yet. In time I’m sure.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Scary Stories were the only ones my Dad would let in the fancy display bookshelf, with the encyclopedias, medical books and my dad's LotR collection aka the do not fuck with bookshelf. And not just with them, because they were used frequently they were often front and center. That factoid alone leaves an imprint.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Watched Westworld for the first time yesterday, along with rewatching Rat Race (2003) and Rain Man (1988).
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Rambo: Last Blood was pretty solid. Not quite the theatrical bouquet of violence Rambo was, but more so a controlled chaos with some quality moments. The build up to D-Day made me anxious just to see all the traps come into play.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Watched the Two Ferns film. All quite fun. But the end credits are epic.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Watched Unleashed (2005) yesterday. For a non-horror movie, it was pretty decent, largely due to Morgan Freeman.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Throwing this in here for my man J-mac

Satan's Little Helper (2004)

A mostly enjoyable addition to the genre, I will admit to being surprised by just how much I enjoyed a decent amount of this film. I do tend to think the movie runs on longer than it really needs to (there's about an hour before we really get to the meat and potatoes of the story), but it still something I'd generally recommend regardless.

There's not many performances in this film, so it's a good thing that those involved did a pretty solid job. While it's true that Alexander Brickel's naive-kid act gets sort of old, he's also quite young, so I won't hold that against him. Stronger are Amanda Plummer and Katheryn Winnick, both of whom are really enjoyable to behold. Stephen Graham, too, showed some solid chops.

I really liked Plummer's character of the mother, who was off-beat and always fun. Every other line she came up with was at least partially funny, and overall, were it not for Winnick, I'd say she was the best here. Winnick, though, stole my heart, as she put in a fantastic performance as well as showed the goods while still maintaining some modesty. In her Renaissance maid costume, she was a cool customer, and a very attractive lady.

Satan's Little Helper wasn't focused on gore or creative kills, but occasionally some would pop up, such as a somewhat surprising scene toward the end of the movie. We did see some entrails ripped out, so while they looked quite, quite fake, that's still something, right? Also worth noting, while the comedy here occasionally went a bit more over-the-top than I would otherwise have preferred, I think it worked here.

Another thing I wanted to bring up was the design of the killer. He changes costumes a few times, but the main design he had was fun. It was obviously a costume, but at the same time, it made sense in the context of the story, and despite being somewhat silly-looking at times, I really did think it was effective.

Two small notes before I get to the main issue I had with Satan's Little Helper. One, that game that sort of started this whole thing looked like perhaps the worst game ever made (intentionally, I'm sure), and two, that cat death was almost needlessly brutal, but than again, this is Satan we're talking about.

Like I said at the beginning of this, I think the main flaw this film has is that it runs on a bit long. I can't say for sure what should have been cut, but at an hour and forty minutes, I think they could have found something. I just know that while I was engaged through the end, there were times when I was wondering just how much longer the movie had.

That's a small criticism in the scheme of things, though. Satan's Little Helper isn't my favorite comedy/horror mix from even 2004 (Broken Lizard's Club Dread, along with the classic Shaun of the Dead, both came out the same year), but it is a fun movie that may be worth throwing into your Halloween collection. 7.5/10
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Watched the classic Anatomy of a Murder. Great film.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

One of the best ever.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Doom: Annihilation

Definitively something along the lines of most space horror/monster movies something like The Terror Within, Creepozoids or just copious early nineties titles that had a group of soldiers fight off against creatures in a base of some sort. Sort of like Legion with Corey Feldman or Within The Rock. The character tropes are pretty much taken out of Aliens, no big variety of monsters. Just a zombie type creature and I think Super Imps? I thought the last 10 minutes were interesting. Nothing stellar and not as "cheesy" as the 2005 film, just kind of run of the mill, but it's a watchable D-grade time waster.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:Watched the classic Anatomy of a Murder. Great film.
own it, but don't think i've seen it. interesting. :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

zombie wrote:
You pulling a Jason now?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
zombie wrote:
You pulling a Jason now?
i suppose so. but nobody is gonna group sesh this one. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
zombie wrote:
You pulling a Jason now?
It's got fucking Brad Wesley, I'll watch.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
zombie wrote:
You pulling a Jason now?
It's got fucking Brad Wesley, I'll watch.
that makes two. cool. :)
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
zombie wrote:
You pulling a Jason now?
It's not really a group sesh kind of flick. It's an amazing courtroom movie. One of my all time favorite movies.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Anything with Stewart in it, I'd give a try. Utterly great performance in Anatomy of a Murder. Definitely recommend you see it at some point, zombs, which I know may not mean much coming from me. :P