October Challenge Discussion Thread 2019

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: October Challenge Discussion Thread 2019

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Of course this guy's finding comfort at a sheep farm...
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:There are so many different Ju-on (The Grudge) and Ringu (The Ring) movies that even if I wanted to try to get into that type of J-horror, I don't know if I feasibly could, especially with Ringu and Rasen (the original sequel, from my understanding) being released at the same time, but Ringu 2 comes along, and Rasen becomes virtually forgotten. Just a messy series, it seems, from my little research.
i think there are far better films, than ringu or ju-on, in that subgenre. but they aren't ever gonna get vs. films for their characters :P
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Is it a 70s flick? The island of death one
Si
In the UK it’s not free to watch. Pain in the ass.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:There are so many different Ju-on (The Grudge) and Ringu (The Ring) movies that even if I wanted to try to get into that type of J-horror, I don't know if I feasibly could, especially with Ringu and Rasen (the original sequel, from my understanding) being released at the same time, but Ringu 2 comes along, and Rasen becomes virtually forgotten. Just a messy series, it seems, from my little research.
i think there are far better films, than ringu or ju-on, in that subgenre. but they aren't ever gonna get vs. films for their characters :P
Whenever you have a moment, let me know which ones stand out to you. I've not seen a whole lot of J-horror, and I utterly hated some of them (though I looked up the two movies that came to mind, and one was from South Korea, the other from Taiwan), so any new movies might be welcomed.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:
Whenever you have a moment, let me know which ones stand out to you. I've not seen a whole lot of J-horror, and I utterly hated some of them (though I looked up the two movies that came to mind, and one was from South Korea, the other from Taiwan), so any new movies might be welcomed.
the two i've found far above any others, so far, are a tale of two sisters and the eye. pulse is good too. i'll think on it, if any others come to mind to recommend.

it might just be that that subgenre doesn't work for you though. some people don't like ghost films. some people don't like zombie films. it could be that kind of thing, here.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:
the two i've found far above any others, so far, are a tale of two sisters and the eye. pulse is good too. i'll think on it, if any others come to mind to recommend.

it might just be that that subgenre doesn't work for you though. some people don't like ghost films. some people don't like zombie films. it could be that kind of thing, here.
Slashers or GTFO. :P

Speaking of which, one of the few Asian slashers I've seen (Bloody Reunion or To Sir With Love, either name seems to be known) was pretty solid stuff. Wouldn't mind more of that from that side of the world. Must not have near as large a hold on their respective cultures as it does here, though.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Another new werewolf movie, Bonehill Road. Expecations are not high.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Special FX by Joe Castro. Hmmm.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:

Speaking of which, one of the few Asian slashers I've seen (Bloody Reunion or To Sir With Love, either name seems to be known) was pretty solid stuff. Wouldn't mind more of that from that side of the world. Must not have near as large a hold on their respective cultures as it does here, though.
i thought you were asking just about ghost girl flicks. there are a lot of great asian horror films, outside of that subgenre. slashers though. i don't think they really got into that, the way we have and stuff like giallo. etc. i'll try to find bloody reunion though.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

This Lady Frankenstein really does show how dated films get. I don’t watch a ton of old stuff on big screens anymore and I now feel that’s fine. :D

Still a few weird sex scenes.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Acting and cameras are abysmal right out of the gate. Does not bode well.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

showa58taro wrote:This Lady Frankenstein really does show how dated films get. I don’t watch a ton of old stuff on big screens anymore and I now feel that’s fine. :D

Still a few weird sex scenes.
I watched that in this Challenge what are the odds
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:

X-Cross
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Another new werewolf movie, Bonehill Road. Expecations are not high.
Pray tell, when was the last time you went into a new werewolf movie and were happily surprised? Really good werewolf movies seem few and far between, in my (admittedly limited) view.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

showa58taro wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Is it a 70s flick? The island of death one
Si
In the UK it’s not free to watch. Pain in the ass.
You are missing out on the victory fart
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jigsaw wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Another new werewolf movie, Bonehill Road. Expecations are not high.
Pray tell, when was the last time you went into a new werewolf movie and were happily surprised? Really good werewolf movies seem few and far between, in my (admittedly limited) view.
This is why expections are low.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Last good one was basically the Wolfman remake from 2010. I still like watching them, hoping something might turn out good, and there are decent ideas out there...that usually lack the talent or budget to back it up.

Howl was sorta decent though.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

It's Todd Sheets. Gore is decent, but he loses steam towards the end with not knowing if he wants a werewolf or serial killer movie.

His newest film Clownado kind of does the same thing with losing steam towards the end. Even though it has a fucking amazing sweet spot in the middle.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Last good one was basically the Wolfman remake from 2010. I still like watching them, hoping something might turn out good, and there are decent ideas out there...that usually lack the talent or budget to back it up.

Howl was sorta decent though.
Not a fan of Late Phases?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

This has a shocking 6.5/10 rating at IMDB. I hope things really get better than, I was predicting something in the 2.0 area.