Jiggy's Horror Corner Advice

You can talk about anything here
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Jiggy's Horror Corner Advice

Post by Jigsaw »

I suspect that most people here have seen that I'm attempting a horror review blog (which is linked in my signature). If anyone cares to read through my thoughts on random movies, I definitely recommend it (I don't post reviews here generally anymore).

That's not the main point of this thread, though - I was simply looking for any advice on ways to improve the site, be it lay out, coloring scheme, whatever. I'm sort of happy with the way much of it looks (save a few issues), but wanted other eyes to maybe let me know if something's amiss. I know there are a ton of horror review sites out there, and I just want mine to be as decent as possible.

I've not been on here much in recent times, but I do always value your opinions, so just let me know if anything catches your eye in a 'hey, that should be changed' way and I'll see what I think.

Thanks in advance to any who help out.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
showa58taro
Administrator

Re: Jiggy's Horror Corner Advice

Post by showa58taro »

Think it could be less text-heavy in some areas if possible. Just to break it up here and there. Usually a graphic or two possibly not even from the film with a caption can mix things up. Also means weird fucking ads aren’t the only grsphicslminterplay you have as these look weird as hell. But guessing that’s the point/theme.

I get the red and black but for me it was a bit hard on the eyes. Maybe a darker red and white/grey text would be easier on the eyes. Although I like night mode settings these days generally so may be in ge minority.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

May also help feel relevant to have your list of reviewed films in reverse chronological.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

showa58taro wrote:Think it could be less text-heavy in some areas if possible. Just to break it up here and there. Usually a graphic or two possibly not even from the film with a caption can mix things up. Also means weird fucking ads aren’t the only grsphicslminterplay you have as these look weird as hell. But guessing that’s the point/theme.

I get the red and black but for me it was a bit hard on the eyes. Maybe a darker red and white/grey text would be easier on the eyes. Although I like night mode settings these days generally so may be in ge minority.
Right now, I'm using the site for free, but I believe that if I pay a monthly fee (which is something I'll do at some point), those hideous ads will disappear (I don't see them, because I have ad blocker, but I know they're there).

I do try to keep my paragraphs somewhat 'normal' and the biggest problem with the text-heavy portions I have are with some directors' movie listings (that's something I personally like the idea of, but I know it doesn't look great).

With the color scheme, I like the idea of red and black, but I definitely don't like the shade of red. Last time I was messing with the customization, I didn't see a great variety in color scheme (or I didn't fully grasp how to use the options I had), so I'll dive into that today to see if I can work something more palatable out.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I mean that the review could have a picture you insert, maybe with a fun caption, as a way to break up the paragraphs.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

showa58taro wrote:I mean that the review could have a picture you insert, maybe with a fun caption, as a way to break up the paragraphs.
I'll play around with that idea and see how it looks. Thanks.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

That tone of red is pretty harsh...it's like an angry tangerine...
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:That tone of red is pretty harsh...it's like an angry tangerine...
Maybe that's the mood I want to convey. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

You want my advice Jig, I'll have you know that my advice for you is always freeflowing, it's given at will for the good people. And you know, a good piece of advice they say is that the grass is always greener. So maybe that's what we need to be going for here, a green motif, if you will. But you know I like that peach, it brings back a certain nostalgic charm. So maybe we combine em together and create a peacheen. Thoughts? *tokes, passes pipe*
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Jigsaw wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:That tone of red is pretty harsh...it's like an angry tangerine...
Remember what Joe Dirt told Kicking Wing, it's not what you want, but what your customers want. If that's a theme you want to incorporate, fine, but don't make it the body of the site and, therefore, unavoidable. Make it part of your logo or intro/home page or some shit. Having it where people are forced to deal with it when trying to read your content is just bad design. If you want people to read your content, it has to be easy on the eyes, or people will just click once and never return. May sound harsh, but I'm just being honest. Hell, I have an extension specifically to change colors on sites I find hard to read, but most people wouldn't bother with that.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:
Remember what Joe Dirt told Kicking Wing, it's not what you want, but what your customers want. If that's a theme you want to incorporate, fine, but don't make it the body of the site and, therefore, unavoidable. Make it part of your logo or intro/home page or some shit. Having it where people are forced to deal with it when trying to read your content is just bad design. If you want people to read your content, it has to be easy on the eyes, or people will just click once and never return. May sound harsh, but I'm just being honest. Hell, I have an extension specifically to change colors on sites I find hard to read, but most people wouldn't bother with that.
This. If you want that color, don't have it as the background where people are supposed to be reading text. Reading bodies of text should have an ease to it, make their eyes comfortable.