Random Political Comments

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Random Political Comments

Post by zombie »

also, this "uproar" is just us discussing amongst each other. we also get "uproar" about was it all in sarah's head or were there really cave monsters in the descent? don't make this out to be some big weird occurrence for us to go on and on with a topic! ;p
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:trump parroted sentiments going around among some conservative pundits, that a foreign film doesn't deserve to win best picture, or presumably to even be nominated, because it's a foreign film. you're right actually, it's not racist. it's bigger than that. it's worse.

and none of us have ever argued that way. not even you, until this very thread.
I'm not arguing for, or against, whether or not a foreign film should or shouldn't be considered for best picture. I've simply asked why is there even a category for best foreign film if a foreign film is already considered for best picture? Was the category of "best foreign film" not put in to honor foreign films? And to put a different perspective on that, would it not be xenophobic in itself to create a category for best foreign film? Why segregate foreign films?

Just asking questions. I don't understand how Trump jabbing the academy awards can garner this much uproar, especially on this site.
we're not segregating foreign films. because they are also eligible for best picture. if the academy were to exclude them from nomination as best picture, that may very well be segregation.
That actually makes sense. I don't follow the awards shows, as you well know, I'm sure. But how long have they been considering foreign films for best overall picture?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
I might agree entirely with that. But like you said, best foreign picture was put in to give foreign films exposure in America. But when it is considered for best overall picture, wouldn't it almost defeat the purpose of the separate category since it's getting even better exposure by winning the whole shebang?
do you feel this strongly about best animated film vs. their eligibility as best picture too?
Like I said in my last post, I don't really follow the academy awards, so I have no strong feelings one way or the other, just presenting arguments and asking questions. But I'd say if that movieWall-E won best overall picture over something like The Silence of the Lambs or something I'd be like "lolwut?".

I hope that wouldn't make me an animaphobic bigot. :p
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:trump parroted sentiments going around among some conservative pundits, that a foreign film doesn't deserve to win best picture, or presumably to even be nominated, because it's a foreign film. you're right actually, it's not racist. it's bigger than that. it's worse.

I'm not arguing for, or against, whether or not a foreign film should or shouldn't be considered for best picture. I've simply asked why is there even a category for best foreign film if a foreign film is already considered for best picture? Was the category of "best foreign film" not put in to honor foreign films? And to put a different perspective on that, would it not be xenophobic in itself to create a category for best foreign film? Why segregate foreign films?

Just asking questions. I don't understand how Trump jabbing the academy awards can garner this much uproar, especially on this site.
we're not segregating foreign films. because they are also eligible for best picture. if the academy were to exclude them from nomination as best picture, that may very well be segregation.
That actually makes sense. I don't follow the awards shows, as you well know, I'm sure. But how long have they been considering foreign films for best overall picture?
they've been nominated since at least 2000 with crouching tiger hidden dragon and chocolat, off the top of my head. i'm sure that can't be the first time?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:also, this "uproar" is just us discussing amongst each other. we also get "uproar" about was it all in sarah's head or were there really cave monsters in the descent? don't make this out to be some big weird occurrence for us to go on and on with a topic! ;p
I tried to like the Descent for you, but I just couldn't get into it. (And dear God I sure hope it didn't win best picture) Image
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
I might agree entirely with that. But like you said, best foreign picture was put in to give foreign films exposure in America. But when it is considered for best overall picture, wouldn't it almost defeat the purpose of the separate category since it's getting even better exposure by winning the whole shebang?
do you feel this strongly about best animated film vs. their eligibility as best picture too?
Like I said in my last post, I don't really follow the academy awards, so I have no strong feelings one way or the other, just presenting arguments and asking questions. But I'd say if that movieWall-E won best overall picture over something like The Silence of the Lambs or something I'd be like "lolwut?".

silence of the lambs and wall-e were decades apart. but up was one of the nominees in the 2009 best picture. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:also, this "uproar" is just us discussing amongst each other. we also get "uproar" about was it all in sarah's head or were there really cave monsters in the descent? don't make this out to be some big weird occurrence for us to go on and on with a topic! ;p
I tried to like the Descent for you, but I just couldn't get into it. (And dear God I sure hope it didn't win best picture) Image
you don't have to try to like a movie, for me. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:

they've been nominated since at least 2000 with crouching tiger hidden dragon and chocolat, off the top of my head. i'm sure that can't be the first time?
I don't think there was ever a rule against it, they've just been woefully underrepresented historically. The 40s-60s are stacked with some seriously awful shit where foreign films likely should have been rewarded. We've come a long way, in spite of people like Trump spreading ignorant rhetoric.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:

silence of the lambs and wall-e were decades apart. but up was one of the nominees in the 2009 best picture. :P
Up was actually one of the very rare newer animated movies I've seen that I truly enjoyed.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
you don't have to try to like a movie, for me. :P
I'm one of the very few on here who didn't like The Descent anyway so I lose in that regard. :p
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

That was a productive discussion. Thank you, zomb. Very cool.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

So there were five foreign films nominated for Best Picture in the first 73 years of the Academy.

Fucking five. Five! The Bong win was a bit of historical justice for all the foreign auteurs who pushed the craft forward while the US sludged through historical epic flops, musicals and corny romances, and weren't respected by Hollywood.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:That was a productive discussion. Thank you, zomb. Very cool.
i'm not really as hard headed and full of shit as you sometimes seem to think i am. :P

hopefully we can cut through the silly jabs and hyperbole more quickly in future debates.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Akira Kurosawa: 0 Best Picture nominations
Federico Fellini: 0 Best Picture nominations

This stuff has improved in a dramatic way. It would have been a joke to live through the 40s-60s and see some of the results, though unless you were an intense cinephile it would have been very hard to see a lot of these movies at the time...which is no excuse for the Academy itself. You can't hide quality content anymore, the cream rises to the top.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:That was a productive discussion. Thank you, zomb. Very cool.
i'm not really as hard headed and full of shit as you sometimes seem to think i am. :P

hopefully we can cut through the silly jabs and hyperbole more quickly in future debates.
I do not think you are hard-headed or full of shit. You are the least hard-headed person on the board.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
I don't think there was ever a rule against it, they've just been woefully underrepresented historically. The 40s-60s are stacked with some seriously awful shit where foreign films likely should have been rewarded. We've come a long way, in spite of people like Trump spreading ignorant rhetoric.
yeah, i don't think it was ever a rule, just bias and maybe playing into popular tastes for the views and ratings earlier on. we're coming a long way.

but upon looking over the nominees through the years, i'm gonna be retroactively bitter that amelie got the shaft in 2001. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
yeah, i don't think it was ever a rule, just bias and maybe playing into popular tastes for the views and ratings earlier on. we're coming a long way.

but upon looking over the nominees through the years, i'm gonna be retroactively bitter that amelie got the shaft in 2001. :P
City of God in 2002.

May have to compile a list of sorts here...
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

City of God in 2002.

May have to compile a list of sorts here...
city of god probably definitely could have beat out chicago, for the win even. (although i do like that film)
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Jason wrote:Yup. Bernie losing by 5 votes in Nevada is a dream scenario for me.

Sanders killed in Nevada. Lol.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

This will come down to Bernie’s popular support vs. Bloomberg’s money.