Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
Headhunter
Charter Member

Re: Recently Watched Mov

Post by Headhunter »

Get Out also gets "right film at the right time" props as a cultural landmark from me. A distinction I find pretty cool personally. Other movies off the top of my head that fit that description: Rebel Without a Cause, Easy Rider, The Conversation, Wall Street, Do the Right Thing, Clueless, Fight Club and The Matrix (and such a list would be an interesting discussion on its own)
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:Get Out also gets "right film at the right time" props as a cultural landmark from me. A distinction I find pretty cool personally. Other movies off the top of my head that fit that description: Rebel Without a Cause, Easy Rider, The Conversation, Wall Street, Do the Right Thing, Clueless, Fight Club and The Matrix (and such a list would be an interesting discussion on its own)
start a topic! :P is that the only horror film that you feel like is a cultural landmark?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Get Out also gets "right film at the right time" props as a cultural landmark from me. A distinction I find pretty cool personally. Other movies off the top of my head that fit that description: Rebel Without a Cause, Easy Rider, The Conversation, Wall Street, Do the Right Thing, Clueless, Fight Club and The Matrix (and such a list would be an interesting discussion on its own)
start a topic! :P is that the only horror film that you feel like is a cultural landmark?
Nah, the ones that I listed were just ones that stood out pretty obviously as reflecting the cultural anxiety in the time they were made in. Horror has pretty much always sought to dig into the fears of contemporary society, just in more allegorical and indirect ways which makes it harder to make obvious connections. The entire alien/monster subgenre of the 1950s is a great example. Fear of Russia, fear of the bomb. Damn near everything.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Headhunter »

As the freedoms of teenagers grew in the 70s and 80s, the slasher genre takes off. Resistance to a society where the young have become too autonomous, too arrogant, too self-centered, too sex-obsessed etc.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Nah, the ones that I listed were just ones that stood out pretty obviously as reflecting the cultural anxiety in the time they were made in. Horror has pretty much always sought to dig into the fears of contemporary society, just in more allegorical and indirect ways which makes it harder to make obvious connections. The entire alien/monster subgenre of the 1950s is a great example. Fear of Russia, fear of the bomb. Damn near everything.
i think that both psycho and night of the living dead are cultural landmarks.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

The "fish out of water" movies like Hills Have Eyes, TCM show a caricatured image of rural America left behind by our evolving society, all the ways protagonists disrespect them/don't understand their ways of life reflect how young urban America no longer respects those communitie who silently provide for their needs while getting feudal benefits in return.

How am I doing?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
I agree with both, why do you think so?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I think Dawn of the Dead stands out as a cultural landmark even moreso than Night to be honest.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
psycho because it made horror more modern and more real. before then, it was mostly fantastical and in the past. (setting-wise, like dracula, frankenstein)

night of the living dead because it made b and indie horror mainstream, and also because it gave us the modern zombie.

i'm not as good as tying it into the social and political climate of the times, as you are though.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

we had a topic on the other board about "is horror conservative or liberal?". this kind of ties into that a little bit. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
psycho because it made horror more modern and more real. before then, it was mostly fantastical and in the past. (setting-wise, like dracula, frankenstein)

night of the living dead because it made b and indie horror mainstream, and also because it gave us the modern zombie.

i'm not as good as tying it into the social and political climate of the times, as you are though.
I was more speaking to movies that touched on society's contemporary fears or just the evolving culture of the time. As far as influence on the industry/genre goes, that's a pretty different discussion but both of those movies would definitely be up there.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Other non-Horror examples:

2001, Wayne's World, Fast Times, damn near all of John Hughes' shit, Top Gun, The Deer Hunter, Less Than Zero
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Spider-Man: Homecoming

A lot better than I expected it. It is nit-pick-able but very minor nitpicks, even if others won't agree with me (for example, I think the suit it too techy). Keaton was amazing as Vulture, seriously rivaling Molina's Doc Ock's greatness as a Spider-bad. The very last scene got the biggest laugh out of me (it is Spider-man, comedy is supposed to be there along with the adventure and excitement, something the Amehzing series failed at), but I can't spoil it because of how unexpected it was. I'm not talking post or mid credits. Stark isn't in it as much as I suspected, so that was good (I'm sick of the Tony Stark show), and I really liked this version of MJ, which is NOT Mary Jane, but instead a Michelle (didn't catch the J of the name) so basically it's a new MJ without the burden of red-head model-hot Mary Jane, justifying casting someone biracial, and since it's a new character I think it works.

It's placed 5th for the year so far for me, Logan is still tops.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Oh, and unlike most of the MCU music scores, the one for Spider-Man: Homecoming was pretty damn good, loved Vulture's theme. Plus the nod to the classic Spider-man song in the opening, lol.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Another Spider Man movie? Jesus H.

Is it related to any others? Or is it like reboot number 5 or some shit...
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:Another Spider Man movie? Jesus H.

it's related to spidey's appearance in captain america: civil war. but not to any previous spider-man movies.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jason wrote:Another Spider Man movie? Jesus H.

It is a direct sequel to Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. Firestar is hot in it, but they cast a pit bull to play Miss Lion which ruined it.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

That is a terrible show title. :lol:
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Headhunter wrote:That is a terrible show title. :lol:
SuperFriends was taken.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Friendlier times. :cry:

IThis is shaping up to be one of the better years for superhero movies in a while actually. Other than Guardians 2 which I found lame as shit I've been impressed.