Random Political Comments

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Re: Random Political Comments

Post by Headhunter »

Headhunter wrote:Am I wrong in assuming the conservatives here have no interest in engaging with the concept of police reform and just want to call us cop haters and tell us that makes us "as bad as racists"? I'm getting nothing from any of you here.
Odds of hearing an honest argument about police reform from one of these conservatives? Probably the same odds on that George Floyd cop car video existing.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:Am I wrong in assuming the conservatives here have no interest in engaging with the concept of police reform and just want to call us cop haters and tell us that makes us "as bad as racists"? I'm getting nothing from any of you here.
You've been using hyperbole wanting to lock them all up and burn it all down. There's so much to get out of you.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:There is lynching going on. Protesters are lynching statues, isn't that cute.
"How will we remember history?!" - people who don't study history
Somewhere along the way, anyone worth a piss finds something better to do than study the past. That was fun until I had a real job.
what? :P
If you're a real alpha, you'd never pull a beta move like wanting to know things. That's for bitches.
I spent over 15 years cramming my head full of history, English, math, other wondrous things. Eventually, some move on.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
You've been using hyperbole wanting to lock them all up and burn it all down. There's so much to get out of you.
Who is "them all"? The cops who unjustly kill people? Yes, they should serve jail time. What is "burning it all down"? Wanting serious reform and rethinking of what policing is supposed to accomplish? Yes, that would be good.

Why do you guys insist on framing everything in this bullshit way instead of actually listening to what we have to say? Is it really that hard?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:There is lynching going on. Protesters are lynching statues, isn't that cute.
Somewhere along the way, anyone worth a piss finds something better to do than study the past. That was fun until I had a real job.
If you're a real alpha, you'd never pull a beta move like wanting to know things. That's for bitches.
I spent over 15 years cramming my head full of history, English, math, other wondrous things. Eventually, some move on.
I get it. Reading books is very hard, can be tough on the ol brain.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
All you gotta do is read one thread in here.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
All you gotta do is read one thread in here.
You should try reading books. It's good for you.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I always enjoy learning new things. I enjoy sharing bits of history here too, whether it's appreciated or mocked. Some may prefer Jason's wonderful memes as content. That's alright. If even one person learns something from shit I post, that's great.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Who is "them all"? The cops who unjustly kill people? Yes, they should serve jail time. What is "burning it all down"? Wanting serious reform and rethinking of what policing is supposed to accomplish? Yes, that would be good.

Why do you guys insist on framing everything in this bullshit way instead of actually listening to what we have to say? Is it really that hard?
For me, there's too much garbage in here. You might have made some eloquent point somewhere here, but all I get are flashes of hot garbage. Astonish me with your reform plan.

What I do see is people actually talking about sending in social workers instead of cops for domestic violence calls or whatever the fuck, jesus fuck.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:I always enjoy learning new things. I enjoy sharing bits of history here too, whether it's appreciated or mocked. Some may prefer Jason's wonderful memes as content. That's alright. If even one person learns something from shit I post, that's great.
Or maybe it's like that red hot chili peppers song, the more I see the less I know.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:

For me, there's too much garbage in here. You might have made some eloquent point somewhere here, but all I get are flashes of hot garbage. Astonish me with your reform plan.

What I do see is people actually talking about sending in social workers instead of cops for domestic violence calls or whatever the fuck, jesus fuck.
It becomes garbage when someone will take a person's point and frame it in the most extremist, illogical way to make that person look dumb by comparison. The argument is over at that point, it just becomes constantly re-clarifying things you've already said.

Some examples of things I'd like to see:

1. National police database that compiles and shares information and weeds out bad cops. You fuck up, you're out.
2. Far more intensive screening to further weed out the bad cops.
3. End no-knock warrants.
4. Longer, more extensive training program with particular focus on de-escalation tactics. Essential in Europe where cops don't kill people.
5. Demilitarize as much as possible. When I see videos of big ass tanks in small towns, hard not to imagine there are better ways to spend with these massive budgets.
6. End qualified immunity.
7. True independent investigations of police infractions. Can't be run by the departments or local prosecutors who depend on police for cases.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

"What I do see is people actually talking about sending in social workers instead of cops for domestic violence calls or whatever the fuck, jesus fuck."

The better plan here is probably to expand police training to include some of the skills of social workers. Human psychology and de-escalation is a huge component of police training in Europe and isn't at all here. Some situations call for aggression, some don't. There definitely shouldn't be one standard of ultra aggression for every call.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Sounds good. I've always preached #7 too, they're too connected.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

The key thing is to break the chokehold police unions have over cities. They run shit like the mob. Nobody should be more accountable to the public than law enforcement.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:Sounds good. I've always preached #7 too, they're too connected.
Goes all the way up the ladder too. Cops, defense lawyers, prosecutors, DAs, judges. They’re all swimming in the same pool. Lot of money moving around, lot of deals cut. The justice system is a business and profit motive is everything. That’s no way for a justice system to run effectively.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:The key thing is to break the chokehold police unions have over cities. They run shit like the mob. Nobody should be more accountable to the public than law enforcement.
That sounds reasonable as well. It's nice to get you when you're not on your NWA boombox. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:The key thing is to break the chokehold police unions have over cities. They run shit like the mob. Nobody should be more accountable to the public than law enforcement.
That sounds reasonable as well. It's nice to get you when you're not on your NWA boombox. :P
A lot of reasonable ideas get lost in the screaming. We all get bogged down in our need to make a strong point.

You should know that I’m not one of these people asking for the police to be defunded. For one it’s just politically moronic in an election year. Two, however well intentioned it may be, it’s easy to misconstrue and will be viewed as an attack. Three, even with areas where you could easily cut the fat (police don’t need to bulk buy tons of military shit), improved training and screening costs money. For me it’s about smartly allocating resources to where they’re most needed. It is shitty to look at city budgets and see the way all other departments have to dive for scraps financially but I don’t know how you shift that.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

But half of defunding the police is to provide funding from the police whose budgets are extensive to things that are chronically underfunded or nonexistent. That’s what matters. Cops as you configure them shouldn’t be answering 95% of the calls they do answer. They are not a panacea. Don’t use them like one. That’s a key point here. And if there was a year TO make that point it’s this one where the incumbent is weak in every poll and the entirety of the US is ready for reform in all 50 states to some degree. That simple.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

regardless of whether it's the police or some other group to take some of the load off the police, they are going to have to be trained and be competent entering into a potentially dangerous situation. de-escalation should be the goal, but they should also be trained for ending a conflict quickly, if they need to act in that capacity. sending a responder into a situation that they are not prepared to handle will only make things worse. the approach should be to train the police to handle situations as if they're police officers protecting a community. and not soldiers fighting an enemy unit.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:regardless of whether it's the police or some other group to take some of the load off the police, they are going to have to be trained and be competent entering into a potentially dangerous situation. de-escalation should be the goal, but they should also be trained for ending a conflict quickly, if they need to act in that capacity. sending a responder into a situation that they are not prepared to handle will only make things worse. the approach should be to train the police to handle situations as if they're police officers protecting a community. and not soldiers fighting an enemy unit.
But police should have a strict remit. And not just any and every situation. You don’t protect the community but placing armed guards everywhere and having them shoot members of that community. Instead of training killers to be less killer-y you could just hire and train people who aren’t having to distinguish between the two polarities they may face.