What Are You Reading

You can talk about anything here
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Re: What Are You Reading

Post by Tiggnutz »

Finished Dr. No and its another really great Bond novel. I'm taking a break before the next in the series to try some other stuff.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Just passed the midpoint of Burn The Dark by S.A. Hunt.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

When I saw my next Bond book would be Goldfinger I had to get it.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Tiggnutz wrote:When I saw my next Bond book would be Goldfinger I had to get it.
Surprisingly not that great of a book. I love the opening and the spoiling of Goldfinger's cheating in the beginning, but after...eh. The movie's basically the same, but somehow improved quite a bit (though changing up the ending...while mocking the ending in the book lol)
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Almost finished with Stephen King's new book, Later. Took a little while to get going, but it's pretty decent.I'm curious if it's an origin story for a future detective series he might be gunning for.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I read a lot of the Misery part of Misery before I realized that the typewriter Paul is using has a fucked up "N" and it wasn't the print in the copy I am reading :oops:
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Tiggnutz wrote:I read a lot of the Misery part of Misery before I realized that the typewriter Paul is using has a fucked up "N" and it wasn't the print in the copy I am reading :oops:
What does this even mean?
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:I read a lot of the Misery part of Misery before I realized that the typewriter Paul is using has a fucked up "N" and it wasn't the print in the copy I am reading :oops:
Part of the Stephen King novel Misery is the story Paul is writing about the character Misery that Annie is obsessed with. Its like reading a novel inside of a novel. The typewriter Annie gives Paul to write a new Misery Novel with has a broken letter N so all the letter N's are fucked up looking
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Tiggnutz wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Part of the Stephen King novel Misery is the story Paul is writing about the character Misery that Annie is obsessed with. Its like reading a novel inside of a novel. The typewriter Annie gives Paul to write a new Misery Novel with has a broken letter N so all the letter N's are fucked up looking
Isn't something like that in the movie too?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Isn't something like that in the movie too?
The detail is in the movie, but you actually get to read Paul's manuscript with the missing n's in the book.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Ah shit, now I get the comedy more now. Tigg thought Barnes and Nobes or summat did him dirty, but it's just Annie fucking with him. :lol:
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Reign in Blood wrote:Ah shit, now I get the comedy more now. Tigg thought Barnes and Nobes or summat did him dirty, but it's just Annie fucking with him. :lol:
Exactly
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

The part in Misery with the rat trap should of been in the movie it chilled me to the bone :o
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Reading Killer Squirrels by Linda Watkins.

I bought it for my Kindle app based on the title alone :P
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Listening to the Goldfinger audiobook on the way home and its the golf game between Bond and Goldfinger and I was lost because I didn't know that old timey golf club lingo. I didn't know what the fuck a Brassie and a Spoon were lol. After I Googled it it made perfect sense.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I jumped down a rabbit hole of CIA history stuff recently and it feels like nonstop chain smoking a billion cigarettes. My most recent mid-blowing read: CHAOS - Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties by Tom O’Neill

Some of the wild findings:

-Manson was arrested countless times after being released from prison in 1967 but was always released almost immediately and none of it was reported by his parole officer to the national parole board. People who later looked at his parole file said the pattern matched what you would see from federal informants/assets and that it was pretty clear “someone wanted him out”.

-Manson’s parole officer was a man named Roger Smith who studied criminology at Berkeley, with a particular emphasis on the effects of LSD and amphetamines on violent behavior from gangs. Manson was specifically assigned to him, even being allowed to break parole and drive to San Francisco his first day out of prison to be assigned to him. Roger Smith told Manson he should live in the Haight-Ashbury (hippie) district to “soak up the vibes”.

-Roger Smith and his wife became the foster parents of the Manson family’s first child. After Mary Brunner and Susan Atkins were locked up for giving a sheriff’s kid LSD and causing him to flip out, Roger Smith convinced that local department to release them and vouched for their character. The police reports were aware of who Manson was but Smith never disclosed that he was Manson’s parole officer.

-Manson and his girls spent nearly every day at a free medical clinic in San Francisco. A few of the people who worked there: Roger Smith, his PO who was also studying effects of drugs on gang violence. Dr. David Smith, who tested speed and acid on rats to observe their behavior. Dr. Jolly West, a CIA doctor who was one of the leaders of the MK-ULTRA program, a program studying methods of mind control where doctors tested mega doses of LSD and other drugs as well as forms of torture on prisoners, college students, drug addicts etc, throughout the 50s and 60s. (Whitey Bulger famously attributed his psychotic turn at a young age to being given insane amounts of LSD in federal prison for two years). There’s no smoking gun here but all three men had offices at the place where Manson hung out every day. Worth noting that the vast majority of MK-ULTRA files were destroyed by the CIA in the 1970s.

-On the day of the Tate murders, Tate’s friend Shahrokh Hatami reportedly learned about their deaths hours before the bodies were found —- from a phone call by Reeve Whitson, who had grown close to Tate and her friends and said he could have prevented the murders. It was later revealed that Whitson was an undercover CIA agent who had been infiltrating the hippie scene in LA. At the time the CIA was running a program called Operation CHAOS where agents were instructed to do whatever possible to undermine the hippie movement. Whitson was revealed to have been extremely active in the investigation before disappearing from the public record again, even helping secure a testimony from Hatami that claimed Manson was at the Tate house months before —- but Hatami was never certain it was actually Manson.

There’s a lot of insane shit but these were some of the highlights.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

The hobbling part of Misery is as good as anything of King's I've ever read. Sick!!
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I finished Misery need a few days to let it sink in but damn that was a great book.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Next up is Stephen King Night Shift
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I Come With Knives by S.A. Hunt