Charter Member

Re: July 30th, 2017

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:If we're being real, we're grading presence of action stars on a curve. None of them have the total package we saw from 80s action stars. The guy who would be the closest if he wanted to be is The Rock, but he just doesn't take those roles. He'd really be killer though.
there aren't nearly the type of big action guys like there were in the 80s, definitely. that doesn't mean that action heroes can't be capable at any size. there's room for sarah connor and john mcclane as much as there is for rambo and dutch.
Not just the peak physique guys. Who can play the John McClanes of today?
jason statham made a career of essentially doing just that, didn't he? maybe not what you guys like, but he was pretty successful for a while. liam neeson, denzel washington, and a slew of other more dramatic actors have taken to the action hero thing recently too.
I've sat in chairs with more personality than Jason Statham.

Those guys can flat out act so yeah they can do action. It is not the same though.
hehe fair enough.

well, bruce willis didn't start as an action guy, if that's what you're getting at? it would be cool to have more like willis, ford, gibson, and swayze type action heroes today. maybe when superheroes run the course, we'll get back to something more like that.
What did Bruce even do before Die Hard other than Moonlighting?

Buckle up, buckaroo. The superheroes are going nowhere. :cry:
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:

well, i'm not the one complaining about the state of action movies today. :P i like superheroes personally. maybe ryan gosling or leo dicaprio or christian bale can do more action heavy stuff. :P

i'm actually not sure what willis did between moonlighting and die hard... i could cheat and look up imdb, but nah. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

well, i'm not the one complaining about the state of action movies today. :P i like superheroes personally. maybe ryan gosling or leo dicaprio or christian bale can do more action heavy stuff. :P

i'm actually not sure what willis did between moonlighting and die hard... i could cheat and look up imdb, but nah. :P
The movies are mostly fine. The stars are the problem. They don't carry shit anymore.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

The movies are mostly fine. The stars are the problem. They don't carry shit anymore.
that's true across the board. there aren't really movie star actors anymore. i guess the closest might be chris pratt but i don't know how much of that is just good luck with the projects, versus his actual appeal with audiences.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

that's true across the board. there aren't really movie star actors anymore. i guess the closest might be chris pratt but i don't know how much of that is just good luck with the projects, versus his actual appeal with audiences.
It may be true across the board but not equally so. Proportionately, action has been the genre most impacted.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

My god, I see you guys have just splooged over anything I ever talked about. I'm gonna finish Manchester by the Sea and be miserable with it. Fuck it all.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:My god, I see you guys have just splooged over anything I ever talked about. I'm gonna finish Manchester by the Sea and be miserable with it. Fuck it all.
I have no idea what you're talking about, but you are welcome. Enjoy the Bostonian circle jerk. :mrgreen:
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

It may be true across the board but not equally so. Proportionately, action has been the genre most impacted.
as far as movie stars go? or something else? i think comedy is the only thing that is remotely still star driven.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:My god, I see you guys have just splooged over anything I ever talked about. I'm gonna finish Manchester by the Sea and be miserable with it. Fuck it all.
you were just sticking it to charlize theron for daring try to carry an action flick. what do you expect? :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

as far as movie stars go? or something else? i think comedy is the only thing that is remotely still star driven.
With dramas, the stars haven't lost any value in my mind. It is just an uptick in perceived value of great directors that makes it appear that way sometimes.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Keep in mind, we're not talking marketing and promotion here. Actors carrying that weight is most definitely no longer a thing and I said as much fairly recently.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

With dramas, the stars haven't lost any value in my mind. It is just an uptick in perceived value of great directors that makes it appear that way sometimes.
i guess that could be. nolan and tarantino definitely have as much value as anyone, right now. i think action has taken over. granted not star driven action, like it used to be. that has kind of become b movie-ish and hit and miss. vin diesel, resident evil/underworld, and that kind of thing mostly.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

i guess that could be. nolan and tarantino definitely have as much value as anyone, right now. i think action has taken over. granted not star driven action, like it used to be. that has kind of become b movie-ish and hit and miss. vin diesel, resident evil/underworld, and that kind of thing mostly.
Yup, it's great auteurs and franchises that sell now. Stars alone can't sell a movie anymore, so pretty much anything else relies on word of mouth. Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes have incredible power.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote: Yup, it's great auteurs and franchises that sell now. Stars alone can't sell a movie anymore, so pretty much anything else relies on word of mouth. Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes have incredible power.
metacritic and rotten tomatoes shouldn't have the pull that they do. :P i mean, i guess if you're on the fence about something, but if you know you wanna watch it and then get dissuaded because it's not fresh. that's dumb. or at least i think so.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote: Yup, it's great auteurs and franchises that sell now. Stars alone can't sell a movie anymore, so pretty much anything else relies on word of mouth. Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes have incredible power.
metacritic and rotten tomatoes shouldn't have the pull that they do. :P i mean, i guess if you're on the fence about something, but if you know you wanna watch it and then get dissuaded because it's not fresh. that's dumb. or at least i think so.
Doesn't matter whether they should or shouldn't, the reality is they do.
Last edited by Headhunter on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

About to watch Cenk Uygur of the Young Turds get murdered in a political debate. Live on youtube, if anyone wants to join.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix6RdWujfIM
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:About to watch Cenk Uygur of the Young Turds get murdered in a political debate. Live on youtube, if anyone wants to join.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix6RdWujfIM
Hard pass. Game of Thrones time.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Doesn't matter whether they should or shouldn't, the reality is they do.
true enough.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I don't remember who it was or what movie it was, but some director lit into Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes, pretty much blaming them entirely for his movie's failure. There may very well have been some truth to it, but it was a terrible look for the director.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:I don't remember who it was or what movie it was, but some director lit into Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes, pretty much blaming them entirely for his movie's failure. There may very well have been some truth to it, but it was a terrible look for the director.
melissa mccarthy with her ghostbusters possibly? (or the directer too) i remember them throwing a fit and blaming moviegoers for not liking it. so it's probable that they did the same to critics and such.