October 13th 2019

The daily chat room.
Jason
Administrator

Re: October 13th 2019

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:One of the best written films of the 2000s.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Meanwhile, Jordan Peele flexing with that gold statue every filmmaker dreams of. Get Out is so fucking good. It's a movie Hitchcock would make today.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Baby Driver fits “fun, not dumb”.

I’m talking movies taking place in real situations with real stakes but has that hangout feel. Any moment could end in a laugh or gasp but there’s a positive energy palpable throughout the film. 90s Tarantino and Scorsese in a nutshell.
tarantino and scorsese are hard to beat, when they are on their game. it is hard to debate that.
Its true. And it’s not for a lack of effort that nobody has been able to find the balance they have, there have been so many imitators that flopped.
making pulp fiction is hard. making goodfellas is hard. you can do well, even if you don't live up to that.
I didn’t say to make those movies. I said to make movies with a combo of high stakes, laid-back, positive energy. Most films fall under too dumb to feel real or too brooding to be fun.
i can't argue against that off the top of my head. i guess don't invite me to pick a film for your group sesh or for reign's. :P
We’re just not finding classics. Lot of very good films.
i can live with that. the shining is a classic. basket case is not, but it's infinitely more rewatchable. (for me)
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I can live with it but it's still disappointing to not see a movie and feel like your world has been changed after going through it. The Dark Knight did that. Inglourious Basterds did that for me, but only years later. I don't want to conflate too many things either, rewatchability is a secondary issue, the biggest one is nothing leaving a big mark. What are the Psycho shower scene, Copa Cabana, You talkin' to me? etc. of the recent past. The Dark Knight has those moments. It's more of the comedies like Mean Girls and Step Brothers that have entered the cultural lexicon in an organic way.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

you're talking two different things with has it entered the lexicon or mainstream consciousness in a lasting way. and is it moving as a film. there can be intersection there, but it can also be that you can have one without the other.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:you're talking two different things with has it entered the lexicon or mainstream consciousness in a lasting way. and is it moving as a film. there can be intersection there, but it can also be that you can have one without the other.
There's neither.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:you're talking two different things with has it entered the lexicon or mainstream consciousness in a lasting way. and is it moving as a film. there can be intersection there, but it can also be that you can have one without the other.
There's neither.
well, hopefully you will be able to find films that move you, in the coming years. and maybe i'll come to find what i'm missing in this discussion, when they come along.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Best Picture winners of the past 5 years: Green Book, The Shape of Water, Moonlight, Spotlight, Birdman

Nobody will give a fuck about any of these movies by 2030. The Shape of Water will be memorable in a "Hey, remember when the girl-fucks-fish movie won the Oscar?" mind-boggling trivia sort of way. Nothing memorable about the others. Now let's look at another five year stretch from a distant past...

Best Picture winners from 1970-1974: Patton, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting, The Godfather Pt. 2

Movies used to be great AND memorable AND culturally relevant.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

See, Headward is getting it. Hell, where are the movies I can just go "fuck yeah" after watching? Did that with John Wick, not too many lately.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
There's neither.
well, hopefully you will be able to find films that move you, in the coming years. and maybe i'll come to find what i'm missing in this discussion, when they come along.
They gotta make 'em. Build it and I will come.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:See, Headward is getting it. Hell, where are the movies I can just go "fuck yeah" after watching? Did that with John Wick, not too many lately.
will people remember john wick? is john wick a great, memorable, and culturally relevant film? and does it even have to be, for you take something from it? even if everyone else, in general, could care less about it, would that change what you get out of it, yourself?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:See, Headward is getting it. Hell, where are the movies I can just go "fuck yeah" after watching? Did that with John Wick, not too many lately.
will people remember john wick? is john wick a great, memorable, and culturally relevant film? and does it even have to be, for you take something from it? even if everyone else, in general, could care less about it, would that change what you get out of it, yourself?
The simplicity of "badass avenges dog's death and shoots 100 people in the head" will go a long way. John Wick is firmly in the lexicon now and will have some lasting power.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Headhunter wrote:Best Picture winners of the past 5 years: Green Book, The Shape of Water, Moonlight, Spotlight, Birdman

Nobody will give a fuck about any of these movies by 2030. The Shape of Water will be memorable in a "Hey, remember when the girl-fucks-fish movie won the Oscar?" mind-boggling trivia sort of way. Nothing memorable about the others. Now let's look at another five year stretch from a distant past...

Best Picture winners from 1970-1974: Patton, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting, The Godfather Pt. 2

Other than Shape of Water, which was pretty much a lock that year, if you go even beyond the last 5 years, the winners have beena result of weird voting system they instated. So really the most "average" of the nominees are most likely to win.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Best Picture winners of the past 5 years: Green Book, The Shape of Water, Moonlight, Spotlight, Birdman

Other than Shape of Water, which was pretty much a lock that year, if you go even beyond the last 5 years, the winners have beena result of weird voting system they instated. So really the most "average" of the nominees are most likely to win.
The Rotten Tomatofication of the Oscars huh. No better testament to something's greatness than a bunch of people saying it's fine.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Headhunter wrote:

The Rotten Tomatofication of the Oscars huh. No better testament to something's greatness than a bunch of people saying it's fine.
Basically. They have voters the Best Picture nominees, and the one that has the most votes in the highest place (not necessarily #1) is the winner. The other categories don't vote this way, just Picture. They've been doing this I think since 2011's ceremony, I think, which explains The King's Speech over...virtually every other nominee that year.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Headhunter wrote:

Basically. They have voters the Best Picture nominees, and the one that has the most votes in the highest place (not necessarily #1) is the winner. The other categories don't vote this way, just Picture. They've been doing this I think since 2011's ceremony, I think, which explains The King's Speech over...virtually every other nominee that year.
Oh wow, that's a bad one. I always forget The Social Network didn't win BP and to THAT snooze fest in a pretty stacked year...Christ.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Going through more years.

lmao The Artist, a movie no person saw or would want to see, won in 2012. Not a great year, but still, get the fuck out of here. Moneyball stands out as a much better choice and Drive, by far the most interesting and creative movie of that year, was snubbed altogether.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

That said, Zodiac's (Fincher's) really become one of my most rewatched movies of the 2000's. I always thought it was great when I first watched it, but I still get a rush every time I watch it.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Or were we sticking with post-2010?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
The simplicity of "badass avenges dog's death and shoots 100 people in the head" will go a long way. John Wick is firmly in the lexicon now and will have some lasting power.
amelie has lasting power. suggest it to reign for a group sesh among his friends? :P