October Challenge 2023 Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Ava
Charter Member

Re: October Challenge 2023 Discussion Thread

Post by Ava »

If it was possible to go into a coma from ridiculous amounts of boredom from a movie The Vigil on Shudder would take that honor. Yes, yes it would. :roll:
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

New watch Spirit Halloween: The Movie
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Saw 3D - which I've only seen once before, back when it came out - just pisses me off. I know many here may not think kindly of the series as a whole, but I can personally say that Saw 3D is the first movie in the franchise I think is actually below average. What a mess.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Finally going to watch Werewolf of London
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:02 pm Finally going to watch Werewolf of London
Things I like so far - the werewolf looks really cool to me
Things I don't like so much - the werewolf put on a hat and scarf before going out to terrorize the Night :?:
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Overall Werewolf of London is solid especially for being from 1935. Good makeup special effects and some nicely shot creepy scenes B-
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Haven't seen Werewolf of London myself, despite owning it on a Universal Wolf Man seven movie pack. Considered watching it this month, but decided against it. Sounds like fun, though.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:52 pm Saw 3D - which I've only seen once before, back when it came out - just pisses me off. I know many here may not think kindly of the series as a whole, but I can personally say that Saw 3D is the first movie in the franchise I think is actually below average. What a mess.
Hmm, I found it better than 4 and 5, which are now just unmemorable blurs lol.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Knocked out two more watches on my commute: The Sentinel and Cadaver. Both were really good.

Unfortunately the dubbed track (even though it's in english) for The Sentinel is laughably poor, but so far it's the strongest new-watch for me. I'm surprised at how many actors I spotted were in the flick (beyond Chris Sarandon, which I knew ahead of time). Even a baby Tom Beringer showed up in the end.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:19 pm
Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:52 pm Saw 3D - which I've only seen once before, back when it came out - just pisses me off. I know many here may not think kindly of the series as a whole, but I can personally say that Saw 3D is the first movie in the franchise I think is actually below average. What a mess.
Saw 3D was just far too over-the-top. That stupid fucking dream sequence alone may have cost it two points. Didn't work for me, but if it worked for others, more power to them.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:37 pm
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:19 pm
Saw 3D was just far too over-the-top. That stupid fucking dream sequence alone may have cost it two points. Didn't work for me, but if it worked for others, more power to them.
It was pretty cartoony, but my interest basically died after the solid climax in the 3rd movie. Everything else just felt like rushed make-it-up-as-we-go gore filler, desperate for twists after twists. I do remember 6 feeling like an uptick which sorta revived my interest, and didn't hate 3D, but I still felt like I was done after 3.

I haven't seen any after 3D.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Gonna close out the night with some Halloween III
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:41 am Gonna close out the night with some Halloween III
I was planning on watching that also, but likely saving it for later on in the month, maybe once it starts to actually feel like October weather. :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Revisiting Saw

Don't know how far into the series I'll go, but hey, Peacock has'em and my Peacock expires next Friday lol.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Not that I was ever wowed in the first place, but I'm feeling like Saw feels more like filler than before.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Saw II auto-played. I'm letting it roll.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Onto Saw III, then that's probably it for the day because then I gotta attend a graduation.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:13 am Not that I was ever wowed in the first place, but I'm feeling like Saw feels more like filler than before.
Never loved Saw, even though there was a bit of a craze for it back in the day. Only seen the first 6 I think.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

First new Hammer Studios film of the Challenge Night Creatures also known as Captain Clegg