The October Challenge Discussion Thread 2018

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Re: The October Challenge Discussion Thread 2018

Post by Tiggnutz »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:Mandy doesn't release until 10/30, you sons of bitches. So these assclowns running stuidios and release dates don't know how the October Challenge fucks you with bootlegs as well, I see.
It blows my mind when people actively utilize only legal sources to watch films (Shudder, Netflix, Amazon Prime, what-have-you). Something like 85% of all horror films I watch are from streaming sites like Putlocker, x8 movies, or whatever sites haven't been taken down for copyright infringement yet. :lol:
Oh you pirate you.
:D
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Jason wrote:
Ava wrote:
Monster wrote:
Ava wrote:
Monster wrote:
Monster wrote:Isle of the Dead
Fell asleep in the middle so I had to take it off my list. :x
LOL.
I had to stop the one with the Olsen girl. Still not sure if it is worth going back to. I was bored to death watching her walk around getting scared over stupid crap.
Was that Silent House? Asking so I'll know to avoid it.
I think so. It could get good at the end. I couldn't tell you. I checked out about 1/4 of the way in. Couldn't take it.
Not amazing, but probably worth finishing.
Other than the incest I couldn't tell ya jack about it, so it's definitely 50/50.
I don't know. I think I met my incest quota for this challenge after We are the Flesh. :?
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Ava wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Jason wrote:
Ava wrote:
Monster wrote:
Ava wrote:
Monster wrote:
Monster wrote:Isle of the Dead
Fell asleep in the middle so I had to take it off my list. :x
LOL.
I had to stop the one with the Olsen girl. Still not sure if it is worth going back to. I was bored to death watching her walk around getting scared over stupid crap.
Was that Silent House? Asking so I'll know to avoid it.
I think so. It could get good at the end. I couldn't tell you. I checked out about 1/4 of the way in. Couldn't take it.
Not amazing, but probably worth finishing.
Other than the incest I couldn't tell ya jack about it, so it's definitely 50/50.
I don't know. I think I met my incest quota for this challenge after We are the Flesh. :?
I made it about 15 minutes into the Olsen girl moping around than I bailed :| was there inbreeding in that :|
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I liked Silent House decent enough.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Watched Halloween 2 before work earlier this morning and I am now watching the OG Halloween. I still need to see a couple in this series.

I haven't watched Curse of Michael Myers, H2O, and Resurrection. I've only seen part 5 once just a few years ago. I've seen IV a few times, but went 20+ years between watches when I finally watched part 5. I bought them at a local store.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Watching the original Halloween as well, going to the new one here in a few hours.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Watching the original Halloween as well, going to the new one here in a few hours.
Can't wait to see it. God....I hope it's good. Trailer looked legit, but that doesn't mean anything. Amber and I were talking about going to see it next Saturday when we go to Cincinnati for vacation.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Hey D, look what I found.

Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Halloween (2018) There's only one thing I didn't like about this movie. I understand it was used to move the plot forward but it was predictable, at least to a degree, and disappointing in how far they took it. I thought they could've done better. You'll probably know what I'm talking about when you see it. That aside, fantastic. Jamie Lee Curtis was great. She had some badass in her but it wasn't a Sarah Conner in T2 level of badass, which is something I was worried about from the trailers. She was believable. As for Michael, RZ's movies aside, he's more vicious than he's ever been. There were some damn good kills. I had a blast.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Seeing it this weekend. Maybe Friday.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

now I'm reading that something happened during or after the credits. I hate this post credits shit. Fuck off, Marvel.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Monster wrote:now I'm reading that something happened during or after the credits. I hate this post credits shit. Fuck off, Marvel.
...I stayed till the end credits and didn't see nothing...the fuq?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Havok wrote:Hey D, look what I found.

Ha!
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Gonna watch Halloween 2018 again saturday. I really liked it, but we had really drunk rude motherfuckers behind us in the audience heckling and laughing.

Two negs stood out to me: The opening credits was really awkwardly placed. I liked the opening credits themselves, they should've just placed it at the front of the movie. And 2: I'm not really satisfied by that climax. I don't know what was shot before, but while it's not a bad climax, I liked the cat-n-mouse bit going on, but by the end I just kinda shrugged. They are minor nitpicks, and hovering around on the grade so I'll leave it ungraded for now until after the second watch.

Also, the boyfriend of one of the girls is NOT anywhere as funny as many early reviews claimed, saying he steals the show (he doesn't, but I blame those early reviewers and not the movie for that). In fact it's not even a horror comedy like some made it sound like, it's still fucking serious, just some things are funny in the movie, but not in a dumb jokey way. The kid being babysat: he was fucking funny.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Monster wrote:now I'm reading that something happened during or after the credits. I hate this post credits shit. Fuck off, Marvel.
Oh, I'm reading it's not what's seen but what's heard.
the spoils
Michael breathing
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Also, the boyfriend of one of the girls is NOT anywhere as funny as many early reviews claimed, saying he steals the show (he doesn't, but I blame those early reviewers and not the movie for that).
Are we talking "funny" like the stoner from Cabin in the Woods or Matthew Lillard in Scream? Because I feel like characters like that are just a bunch of tryhards and really not all that funny.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I have not heard anyone say Halloween was a bad film so that's awesome.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Also, the boyfriend of one of the girls is NOT anywhere as funny as many early reviews claimed, saying he steals the show (he doesn't, but I blame those early reviewers and not the movie for that).
Are we talking "funny" like the stoner from Cabin in the Woods or Matthew Lillard in Scream? Because I feel like characters like that are just a bunch of tryhards and really not all that funny.
Neither, like at all. The reviewers made it sound that way, but he's not like that at all. He just sounded like an average teenage guy talking, not deliberately trying to be funny. Those early reviewers really botched that section of hype. During the movie, I forgot he was supposed to be a scene stealer, according to them. I don't know where they got that from.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Believe me, I'm relieved there was no try-hard funny guy stealing any scene.
dave626

Post by dave626 »

I liked it, but there were 2 things that really bothered me. I'll let others see it before I go into detail. I will say this much. Watch for surprise cameos! Got to the credits saw a name was like wait, what? Didn't see that coming. I guess since modern movies don't do "opening" credits, they had to place it there, but DWW is right, it was awkward. Although, if you had the original do that, after Michael killed Judith, it would've worked. I agree with the guys, nothing stands out. Although finally someone with my name finally in a Halloween movie and that happens. LOL

I liked all the female characters, JLC, obviously went above her H20 performance, Judy was fine and Andi was good as the new Laurie, but Virginia Gardner's Vicky really stood out. I am now obsessed with her. As for end credits, all you have to do is listen....just like you did in the original film....end spoilers...

Seeing it several times with friends the next few weeks. It will shatter the franchise record. Final thoughts : there is an Easter Egg in the film I now have to research and decipher. Also, thought Miramax sold the rights to Blumbouse? Still got credit. Lots of people got credit...